1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Serverama - Frame finishing - 9th Oct

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Phat Ass, 5 Sep 2004.

1. rejsor

rejsor What's a Dremel?

Normaly I dont post too much in this forums, but this project is just too good! Damn, it's really, really nice so far. Keep up the good work mate!

2. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

we want update

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's the power connector on the hard drive, not the data connector. Well both I think actually... but mobile racks cut the power to the HDD too I think. Never tried it honestly, but that would be like $200++ in SATA convertesr.

4. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Sorry guys, been at a lan all weekend and only just getting round to sorting stuff out. Having been to said lan, ive decided that the case is too big and needs a rethink, still the same contruction, but more in the region of 18" high, rather than 22".

Will post more soon as its designed.

5. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

18" is the way to go, it does make setting up the insides a bit more difficult but I think that its worth the effort... good luck!
    :dremel:

scuse my ignorance, but where is Sunderland? You use inches!

6. Phat Ass

Sunderland is in NE England, and i use inches cos they're better :) did some design work today, will hopefully post tonight

7. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

dont hope
    make sure :D

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wow I live in the USA and I think metric all the way... 10's are much easier than 12's, 16's and 3's.

9. Phat Ass

sorry. didnt have time to finish the drawigns or upload anything, still got mobo problems :(
    random crashes/reboots etc (i just tried to post this very sentance 2 minutes ago and crashed.... the irony) along with a processor running 600mhz slow but with the correct bus settings. so i have a fun day tomorrow after ive enrolled at uni.

10. Phat Ass

Hurrah

At last, some design work complete for the new layout. The case is chopped down to a more reasonable size, 18 1/2" high and 18 1/2" long. Its still 9 1/8" wide, but when compared to my main rig - a PC60 - its not that much bigger.

Custom Case
    Height - 18 1/2"
    Width - 9 1/8"
    Length - 18 1/2"

Lian Li PC 60
    Height - 17 1/2"
    Width - 8 1/4"
    Length - 19 1/4"

These changes should make it easier to transport, having been to a lan and taken 5 towers (not just for me :) ) along with the other stuff, space is a premium more so than i thought before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This design only uses one, higher rated psu rather than 2. mainly because theres only (!) 15 HD bays possible. The HD bays are the same as designed before but theres only 5 bays, rather than 6 so the airflow is better. around the drives to cool them.

Above the drives will be 1 or 2 CD bays, depedning on how much space i use due to inaccurate measurments. If i cant fit 2 in, i have as Baldrick might say... a cunning plan :) but i dont quite know how i'd do it yet, so you'll have to wait :p

More when something done, its the Great North Run this w/e so i cant get home easily to work, and i need to re cut a lof of metal before and building work can be dine... sigh.

11. ninja monkey

ninja monkey What's a Dremel?

hmmm... looking pretty spiffy so far i like the 5 hdds instead of the 6, good thinking :clap:

12. Phat Ass

Marvelous...

At last some work has been done, got all of the metal together today and started some of the cutting.
    [​IMG]

The jig i made before still seems to be ok, despite the problems with the metal (explained later).
    [​IMG]

The metal pieces for the sides fit in the jig just the same as before. Which is handy.
    [​IMG]

However, the problem is the large gap where the metal couldnt be cut at 45 degrees.
    [​IMG]

Given 10 minutes of filing however...
    [​IMG]

And its fits
    [​IMG]

This is where the problem came with the jig, each of the corners are slightly out. The jig was made with a perfect triangle and so, thse dont fit, damn.
    [​IMG]

Another 10minutes later, it fit.
    Next were the sides, these had to be cut down from 22" to 18 1/2". I was going to use an angle grinder on a stand which effectivly makes it into a metal cutting shop saw, however, the metal didnt fit in the stand properly and it wasnt any use. damn... again.

So back to the hack saw, and after a bit of work, one shorter length of metal.
    [​IMG]

And with it all in the jig...
    [​IMG]
    ...Its drilled.

The outside of the sides get countersunk for the screw heads.
    [​IMG]

And it fits, hurrah.
    [​IMG]

So far thats one corner partially done, only another 23 corner pieces to drill and fit together. But this is how it looks so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow but for now... sleep.

13. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

nice countersink. the bolts look fantastic. although all the troubles you had made me scared to work with sheet metal now ehe. cant wait for more

14. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Nice method, You an engineer by any chance?

15. chhr

chhr What's a Dremel?

Lookin' good. Very proffesional look :)

16. Phat Ass

Nope, never had any metalworking teaching. didnt even do it at school. just picked it up as i go along.

Right, off to do more work

17. Phat Ass

Got some work done today thank god, seems this is getting further and further behind each day. But nm, dont wanna rush it.

Not many pictures, its all more of the same from the last time, got one of the sides done.
    [​IMG]

And behold, its done.
    [​IMG]

Also, this is me (shocking i know), not quite an engineer :)
    [​IMG]

Perhaps somemore tomorrow, i dunno if i can get the garage again.

18. Phat Ass

Did some work on the case today, progress has been slow with uni starting and clogging up my days off :)

Got both sides done now, just the 4 pieces that join them together that're causing the problems. Little things is hadnt entirely thought through when i made my jig initially, like when there is one corner plate installed, the next corner plate will have to be smaller to fit in the jig.... damn.

So ive spent most of todays working time making a new template to put in the jig to drill holes, and it works. 9 down, 15 to go :(

Pics later once they're uploaded.

19. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

i'm not sure if i have replied to this project before... but i have folowed it from the start. it is truly amazing how you use those tools to make such an outstanding case! I just love how the screws are inserted INTO the frame!! the design is awsome as well :) looking forward to see it finished! :thumb:

Keep it up mate! :dremel:

20. Phat Ass

Righty then, pictures!

[​IMG]

This was the problem i had that i hadnt thought of before (doh!). For each corner to fit in the jig they would all have to be the same overall size from the edges of the case. Which when one brace is installed they wont be. Again, Doh.

So each brace from here on in need to be smaller, which means cutting 1/8" off each one, then when i do the next one, 1/4" so, damn.

Anyway, once i got the brace cut to size and fitted in the jig, another problem struck me....

[​IMG]

... My otiginal template no longer fits as there is a vertical brace and the nuts on the bolts holding it in palce. Yet again, doh :wallbash:

So, a new template is on the cards. and after about an hour of filing, cutting and drilling...

[​IMG]

Behold! a new template.

[​IMG]

Which fits nicely around the other template and the nuts. And given a few minutes of drilling...

[​IMG]

It works, horah.

Didnt get much else done yesterday, only that one corner. Dont know how much i'll get done this week either as its pretty packed. More by next weekend hopefully.