1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Sexy G3 - Updates and Tons of Pictures!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 17 Mar 2004.

1. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Crap, that's kinda what I figured. Eh, wouldn't be modding if eveything was easy!! :hehe:

I just changed track with what I am thinking of doing, since we all know the Bondo+Vinyl-Dye thing isn't going to work.

It's going to be a TON more work, but the end-result should blow everyone away... :naughty:

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Well, the weather has been great, and is only getting better! I've made some headway, and have been playing with a few different ideas - and have basically managed to get the effect I am looking for on the test peices. So it looks like my idea for the case is going to work great.

I would also like to thank Matrix Orbital for sending me the display I wanted to use for this mod and also answering all my questions. I received the LCD this morning, and it is gorgeous! If you haven't had the pleasure of seeing one in person, you don't know what you are missing! So again, thanks to Matrix Orbital, be sure to check out their site - http://www.matrixorbital.com/

3. AlaskanModder

AlaskanModder What's a Dremel?

Oooh.

Oooh. A mod'd paperweight. Very cool. All kidding aside.. good luck,
    common perception with the people I have been around that people
    with Apple/mac computers dont *really* know how to use a computer..
    let alone open one... I must say.. that hinged drive holder is pretty dang
    cool ++ on packaging, Will keep tuned in

4. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Believe it or not, OSX runs pretty well on this old machine. It will be even better with the upgrades... I hate to see old hardware wasted. :)

5. oshta

oshta Guest

- at school today, i just chucked 40 CLIII's into a skip :sigh:

- i did nick a few fans and a FDD from them tho :thumb: but there was nothink else worth nicking :waah: - there were the SCSI HDD's, but they were only 8mb, so wasnt even worth nicking them :sigh:

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You know you want to put yellowdog linux on that!

7. Scheming Eyebrows

Scheming Eyebrows What's a Dremel?

This looks pretty cool. My dad still uses an old beige G3 tower...it's slow as mud, still works pretty damn well though. http://www.lowendmac.com/ has some very nice info about the beige G3, especially the stuff about getting Mac OS X installed on drives 8GB or larger.

Maybe, but you'll want to check YDL's compatibility first, its a pain to install and then not have work with your graphics/cpu/hd/etc. Depending on your motherboard revision, your graphics may not be supported. http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=7 should give an overview...not sure how complete it is for your planned upgrades though. YDL's support has probably improved since I last used it, but I have no experience with it on a beige G3, let alone one that will be this heavily upgraded.

8. Scheming Eyebrows

Scheming Eyebrows What's a Dremel?

You might also want to try to get a copy of OS X 10.2. It's much faster, stabler, and it has better third-party hardware support than 10.1.

9. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

It is running 10.2 now, and is much better. The new HD and more RAM will help as well.

I've been playing with the Matrix Orbital screen too much to get any work done... :D

10. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

/homervoice on

MMMMMM Apples

/homervoice off

11. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

Vazzini like pixtures, you give me pixtures?

[Mr. T] Gimme some pics sucka [/ Mr. T]

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Well, just bumped the G3 from 96mb of RAM to 512MB. Makes a BIG difference in Application Speed. I was lucky enough to have acquired some old PC's that had a few 256MB sticks of PC100. I'm waiting on my 10.2 disc to come back (Brother had to borrow it) so I can get the new drive in there.

Making good headway with getting the Matrix Orbital screen to work with OSX. Hopefully I can have some pictures of that running on the G3 shortly... :cooldude:

13. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

My sig says it all...

Any more updates with the build?

14. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

The thicker the plexi to more it cost.

25 mm thick (i though 24 mm is an inch) cost 334 euro 2 square meter.
    15 mm thick costs 99 euro a square meteer.
    and thats just basic plain el cheapo plexiglass.

Il also require some thick plexiglass, so i need to build it up, and glue.
    what did you mean by a wet spot in the middle, when glueing together?
    How big a plate did you want? :confused:

15. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

If you take two pieces of clear Plexi, sandwich them together, and use the Weld*On to bind them together; You end up with what looks like a 'wet spot' trapped between the two pieces of Plexi (looks like water between two sheets of glass). I have found a way around my original problem though. :D

Also, I am waiting on my Plastic Bender to come from Tap-Plastics (hopefully Monday or Tuesday) so you will get a mini-build on making a bender. :thumb:

16. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

Hmmm looks like fun, i used to play on my friends old G3, and my uncle still uses one, he loves mac's. I know nothing about mac hardware, are they normal PCI slots? does it take normal PC100 ram? are they normal ide drives? and the floppy?

sorry but the questions but im interestred

17. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Yes, normal PCI slots (but the cards must be Mac compatible). Ram is std. PC100 and yes, std IDE drives all-around. It's just the Processor and OS that are the big differences... :D Honestly though, I would love to see OSX on a new A64... :naughty:

18. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I think its possible, it is unix based but you'd have to get a hold of the code. modify it heavily and re-compile it for the new cpu...You can get Darwin for free, but its nowhere near as pretty as its basically just Linux.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2004
  19. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

OS X is heavily modified for Mac hardware. Though apparently, the visual effects are NOT software based - they in fact use the GPU for rendering.

20. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

yo, as for the plexi, i would be very interesed in getting some of that scrap =P
    i dont think there are any plexiglass shops in my area =\

what area of NY do you live in? i live in SYRACUSE...

and for the sandwich, it shouldnt have a "wet spot" if you put enuf weld-on in and alot of pressure across the whole sheet. try putting a cloth over the plexi, and put some lifting weights over the plexi sheet (even weight) and ALOT of weld-on... just like making a peanutbutter&jelly sanwich with WAY too much jelly so it oozes out the sides :blush:

try it on a small side piece and if it dosnt work, just cut the "wet spot" out of the center =P you said it was cheap =P lol

lots cheaper than the real stuff. and it would prolly glow really well with the layers with LEDs too. :thumb: