1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Sho Stopper - a few hardware changes...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ShoNuff], 3 Jun 2005.

1. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

That would be the resevoir. It is the Aquatube made by AquaComputer.

azezel, thanks for the compliment. With the Aquajet the red LED adds a nice effect as the water impacts the front Aquatube. It is hard to describe other than to say that it is "Unique."

With this project I wanted/needed the additional cooling power of a triple radiator, hence the exterior mount. When compared to what AquaComputer and Watercool offer by way of external mounts I like my solution better. The BIX III is another option that would make the rad 25mm shorter. I've considered going that route but ultimately I did not like the black/UV green combo. I looked for a chromed BIX III that could outperform the Watercool radiator and could not find one. If you find one please let me know. :thumb:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah meant to ask you, the fan bracket thing you have set up (not the green shroud, the thing going to the screw mounts in the rad) looks rather like the AC "docking module" but built for 3 fans instead of 1. Is that a custom thing or just a brand I'm not as familiar with?

3. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I think you are talking about the radiator itself. It is a Watercool HTF3. It was one of the better performers according to Watercoolplanet's performance test. It is a much better performer than my Evo360.

4. popwar

popwar What's a Dremel?

the pc power & cooling 510 is the number ONE sli psu except for the 850. the only reason you think its just a 510 watt power supply is because pcp&c is being honest about theyre psu. its maximum wattage is 650watt, but 510 at 50 C

5. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Looking GOOD Sho,
    Question: do you need the Floppy drive?
    also, (perhaps) a length of perforated steel inside radiator mount's front face..it would "tie-in" with the rest of the LL fascia..
    Where's that Aqua-Computer Cuplex XT---sliver...I need to see it... :wallbash:

6. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Yeah, I am really looking forward to the silver block as well. It should be here on Tuesday.

I use the floppy quite a bit when running MemTest86 and bios upgrades. Technically I could do without it but it makes life a little easier.

I also considered your suggestion above with regards to the "front face" of the radiator. Watercool makes a rad where the front is covered with the same material used on the sides. I liked the "Industrial" look of the version I have a little more. Mounting the rad inside was my first choice but that would not have allowed me to meet my cool and quite objectives with an SLI setup. I hear Lian Li is making a new case specifically for watercooling. If this new case would allow me to mount a triple rad inside, I would be all over it.

7. WPELLE

WPELLE What's a Dremel?

Looks stunningly good! :eeek:

Keep up the good work :thumb:

8. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I finally got my AlphaCool order. Watercool did a good job on the radiator grill. I'll post those pics later. The bulkheads are very "clean" looking. They compliment the overall project better than my original choice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. modsquad

Those bulkheads are VERY nice. I think they are made by Norgren, anyway..better look than the ones sourced from AC. The WaterCool grill is also neat, different look than the Aqua-Computer ones I have been playing with..

10. modsquad

Come-on Sho..
    I know you have that Silver Cuplex XT we (the inhabitants of the planet BIT) need pictures...
    Show me what U got fella........

11. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Hey Modsquad. Yes, I have the block and will post some pics this afternoon. The real world has kept me busy for the last couple of weeks. Before I left I had a chance to install the block and I was getting some "unacceptable" temps. Unfortunately I sold my Cuplex Pro and did not have anything to compare my results to. I took the block apart and it was "slathered" (is that a word?) in green stuff. I cleaned it out and all is good now. Running the X2 at FX-55 speeds gives max temps of 44c under load. Remember that is the cpu temps with two 6800Ultra gpu’s in the same circuit (but not the same loop.)

I am also going to pull the UV green acrylic off of the front of the case. I just got a BIX III, which is only 1" or 25mm thick. I'm just not happy with the 75mm solution I am currently using. Anyway, even if I continue with the external solution it will be significantly shorter than what I currently have. Watercoolplanet.de also reports that the BIX works better than what I am currently using. So, an upgrade is coming! :dremel:

Last edited: 3 Jul 2005
  12. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

Such a professional job, I love it!

-Rob

13. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

The PCP&C 510 SLI will power any PC currently made. Even if you got 12 hard drives. :hip:

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

well... unless you want to do a dual core intel setup. Then you should look at the 850. :D

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Very nice looking rig :naughty: Does the Watercool grill have the same off-set hole problem as the AC grill when attaching to a BI series rad?

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

im in an odd mood so im going to be sarcastic

i doubt it would power a supercomputer! HA so not ANY pc currently made

the 850w would power a fair helluva pc, im sure it would power 2x dual core a64's (might try it one day - not)

say

2x dfi lp nf4's
    2x dualcore 4000+'s
    2x 200gb sata maxtor's
    2x DVD-/+RW
    1x 850w PCP+C
    2x x850's

damn, that would be an AMAZING rig! would be good for 2d/3d work aswell!

now back to topic, i love hte looks of this mod, looks really schweet

17. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Here are some basic shots of the block installed. I like the clear top. I will need to take more pics of the "top" of the block that really highlights its features.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jul 2005
  18. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

TN The holes in the Watercool grill do not line up with the BIX rad. They are just slightly off. I will need to go up one hole size bigger and it will work.

WPELLE and Sva4g3&* Thanks Bro's. It gets better (I hope :))

Last edited: 17 Jul 2005
  19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ooooh silver :jawdrop:
    Did you trim the Twinplex's mounting screen so it doesn't hit that capacitor or is that not a problem on the Premium board (I fried my old Deluxe by not doing that - it looked like it cleared but not close enough...)?

Maybe you said earlier, but which X2 did you get? 4400 or 4800? I want the 4400+ myself (and hope I can clock it to 2.6 at least) but don't have the spare cash right now. Are you liking yours?

And that's a black ice pro rad, not xtreme (BIX=xtreme, BIP=pro). The pro is 1" thick, where the xtreme is a bit over 1.5" (25 and 40mm) The Xtreme also can dissipate more heat: 9702btu/hr vs 6875btu/hr (2842w vs 2014w). Just thought I'd let you know. True enough, both perform better according to that page, but the Xtreme is in the lead over the Pro as well.

20. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it, nice mobo moneyshots :eek:

-Rob