1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Sho Stopper - a few hardware changes...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ShoNuff], 3 Jun 2005.

1. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Both boards have the exact same layout. Since I previously trimmed the screen for the Deluxe, I just popped the Twinplex in the Premium board and it fit perfectly.

I was looking at the "BIX" but I wanted to stay as "SLIM" as possible so I could explore the possibility of an internal or a better looking external mount. Both the BIX and the BIP outperform what I am currently using according to Watercoolplanet.de. Going with the BIP is win-win b/c I get a better looking solution should I go with an external mount and it outperforms the HTF3. :thumb:

I have the 4800+ and I love it. I was running one version of Prime95 and 3DMark05 just out of curiosity and still scored over 10,200. The X2 is nice. It will do up to 2600 at the stock voltage of 1.35 and I've had it up to 2800 at 1.55v. It gets warm at that voltage so I've been playing with it at 2.6GHz for now.

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Damn, that looks good mate

cant wait to see it all in the case all lookin' sexy!

3. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Indeed. Those silver blocks are just-plain--sexy...

4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I'm curious as to why you chose bit-tech for a project log? Seems like a lot of the guy's around here are doing similar stuff to me. I keep asking myself if it would be simpler at the [H], but not sure. So tell me why you like it here? I'm looking for a home for my project.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I hope the 4400+ I want can do that. Helluva rig that can score 10k+ in 3dmark05, even if I don't believe in synthetic benches (last I benched it was a bit under 9200 05, a bit under 20k in 03 and like 23k 01 which is of course CPU limited to hell).

I'm kinda waiting for lower prices at this point I think. The $715 or so for the 4400+ at Newegg right now is insane considering it's got an MSRP of about $580 and the 4800+ is only $300 or so more.

Good reasoning on the BIP - I definately prefer everything internal.

6. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I second Firehed's response to your question in his thread. The good folks on the [H] can be one dimensional in their views of anything that lies outside what they consider “traditional.” Dan’s initial attempt at putting a thread together where people could discuss AquaComputer components was locked as a result of a few short-sided views. The most compelling reason for me choosing bit-tech was the concept of being able to share and receive input globally. I haven’t found any other place where this is true and I guess I like that the most.

There is such a demand for the X2's that AMD is not discounting them according to an article I read recently. I am sure as you continue to search you will find one closer to the MSRP. Monarch has pretty good prices (hold on...checking Monarch now...$654 :eeek:). I get my gear here. I have found their pricing is about 6-10% cheaper and I can walk in and get what I want. Well, most of what I want they have to order but I don’t mind the short wait. Call and ask for Dennis. Overall I think the X2 is a very nice chip. Windows is very "crispy" and I am often running a few apps in the background while getting some work done. As a former Intel fanboy I must say I am impressed! :hehe:

Thanks Bro! I am looking forward to your results with the Gremlin. I'm weird but I loved that car. A buddy of mine put a small block V8 in a Gremlin. It was fast as *^%@! :D No seriously, you will have a screamer on your hands with that DFI board.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2005
  7. Firehed

Yeah nothing has ever felt quite as smooth since moving off of a HT 2.4c Northwood in general windows stuff, but the X2 would take care of that no problem. It's just lack of cash at the moment really. Never heard of windows being referred to as "crispy" lol. It'll probably be a while but I'm not in a big hurry. Just wanted to hear some firsthand experience on it.

8. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Boys and girls can you say "Bucky?"

I was not 100% satisfied with the way the external radiator turned out so I found a way to keep everything, and yes I mean everything, within the case. As a matter of fact, I will be able to bring my other DVD player back and keep my floppy drive as well. :idea:

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I really like the look of this project, I've been thinking of getting one of these cases and sticking some watercooling in it.

10. modsquad

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this..Your not talking about a new V1000, are you??

11. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

No, no, no...no more "Girly-Man" cases for me. :hehe: Someone made me an offer I could not refuse and the silver V1000 is sold. I was able to keep most of the H20 gear as the buyer didn't want a watercooled rig. 15 minutes later I was online checking to see if my credit card still worked and I got...[trumpets blowing]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like the case. I am looking forward to working with a black case. My last three cases were all silver LiLi's. Not sure what I am going to do with the side panel yet. My initial reaction was to do another Lion but, I'm not sure?

I know that this is going to be a smooth mod. The good folks at Lian Li really made some improvements. ALL of the drive racks are now screwed in for example. No more rivets. I have the Black Ice Extreme III on the way. I am going to use that with three Panaflo 38mm fans. The cooling should be impressive as the BIXIII was the top rated rad next to AC's Evo1800.

The way the rad will be mounted will allow for cool air to blow across the mobo and ram. More info later... :dremel:

Last edited: 10 Jul 2005
  12. sKuLLs

sKuLLs What's a Dremel?

Mmmm new LL goodness. I'm really amazed to see how deep your pocket has been for this project. A lot of people seem to skimp on stuff because of the prices of things and this mod has embraced everything regardless of price :) looks great, subscribed.

13. modsquad

I have to confess, I prefer the black v-series cases to the silver..
    Black & UV Green acrylic Sho?? (I like that as well)..

14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

V2000B? Me likes black, silver, and toxic waste green. :hip:

15. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

How does the loop look?

[​IMG]

What do you think of this loop config? My plan is to run two pumps, two loops into one rad. Given the fact that with one pump and all (well, most) of the same gear I was getting .81L/m flow. My goal is to increase this to at least 1.2L/m. I realize that is almost a 50% increase in output. At least I will be able to get things plumbed and start testing from there.

Cooling duties will be handled by the Thermochill 120.3 going forward. I am looking forward to see how it performs in this configuration with 3 103 CFM Panaflo fans.

16. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

i think that's a great loop, that's exactly how i would run it, but i wouldn't use a flowmeter, i'd just try to trust the rpm meters on the MAG or the DDC. what pumps will you be using?

17. Firehed

The plus has removable drive bays? Oh how unfair... and I had to drill all those rivets! I wanna see some closeup of those changes!

I like the loop idea, I'm going to replumb mine almost identically to that most likely (but with two seperate 120mm rads, one for each section).

18. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

@kaotic504 - I am undecided about the pumps. I may go with an additional Aquastream or a pair of DDC's. I've been impressed with the results sc4mpi has achieved with his Innovatek HPPS pumps and multiple rads, so I may just add one more Aquastream.

@Firehed - I will post some pics when I start to work on it. The plus also came with a vent fan and an exhaust blower. The rear fan has mesh vs. the holes on the previous case. I am waiting on parts ATM. I had to order P&C fittings for my rad from Glasgow Scotland. :eeek: The real world has been keeping me very busy the last two weeks so I am looking forward to diving into this project very soon. I have some cool ideas about mounting the pumps, rad and the flow meter.

19. modsquad

That is a good loop-design... :thumb:
    IMO, (and nothing against MAG)..Two Aqua-Computer AquaStreams are the way to go. AquaStreams are Eheim 1046's on steroids (aquabolic) with the added benefit of dead-silent operation and rock-solid reliability...
    I see dual AquaStreams in there FMJ's (chrome plated or painted jet black or glow-in-the-dark green to match the acrylic)....Sexy...Form & Function

Last edited: 17 Jul 2005
  20. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Well it looks 100% doable and it outta work maybe, but don't you think it will be awfully busy looking? :p hehehehe

Pay back's a bitch :naughty:

Well the only thing I would suggest is that you skip the AC flowmeter and get an inline Innovatek unit that has the 1/4 BSPP threads on it. Either that or drill some big holes in the inlet and outlet ports. I ordered in an Innovatek unit to interface with my Aquaero.]

:idea:
    Speaking of Aquaero's I will have a little surprise for ya all by Tuesday of a cool way to do the dual Aquastream controllers.