1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Shrink - Night photos added!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mars-bar-man, 3 Jul 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I think I'm going to go for EC6, that way I know that everything I need is in the loop :)

Thanks!

Anyway, I've got hold of a drill bit so I can drill out a hole for the fill port. Also got the new PSU on the way. And it's really going to fit the theme of the build greatly ;).

In other news, I'm half way to my MDPC sleeving kit & pin remover tool thingy. Going to braid all the cables on the PSU, so that it'll look awesome(er).

Stand by for updates tomorrow!

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The board does support the i5 750 and the i7 860, yes, but DFi advises for proper cooling of the mainboard, so make sure you have enough fresh air for those power-phases.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, update time.

I received my new PSU from SCAN today, a Silverstone ST45FSF SFX PSU. Means the case isn't made to look silly with a normal sized PSU in.

The PSU, feels really well made tbh:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And sat next to a CD, this thing is tiny!
    [​IMG]

And the god awful grey adapter bracket, will spray that black ASAP:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With it installed, looks messier than it actually is, will give it a tidy up soon enough:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also changed how the fill port fits, prefer this tbh:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, it's been raining all day so the chances of me being able to spray the bracket today are, well 0.

Oh well, hopefully RAM and coolant bought within the next week, then it's nearly project complete :)

simonw likes this.
  4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Arse, I'm 50p short on buying my MDPC-X sleeving. I think people should head over to my FS thread here.

:)

5. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Found you're missing 50p yet? :p

6. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

Nice work for far! really like the waterblocks/tubing you picked and the PSU is tiny! Awesome stuff

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Thanks, get my RAM and coolant sometime this week, so I'll have a working PC finally! Back to BC2 I go!

Hahaha, nah, found £40 :p So decided RAM was more important the sleeving, I can always sleeve the cables at a later date. Get paid Thursday, so I may buy the stuff then.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've had a plan! :O

I don't need an internal DVD drive. I'm going to get an external one, which means I'll have my 5 1/4" drive bay free, I can get a reservoir in that! Looking on ebuyer for cheap external DVD drives atm, and I think I've found a suitable reservoir anyway, an XSPC one :)

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Woot, triple post!

Anyway, like I've said above, I'm going to go for a bay res. So I've played around with the case and tubing to incorporate this :) Pictures Incoming!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a close up of the pump fittings, because I'm cool like that:

[​IMG]

And cable management.. Only problem? Damn unbraided cables! FUUUUUUUU!!!

[​IMG]

Well, hopefully my RAM, coolant and bay res will be here by Friday, and can finally get it up and running! YAY!

I also plugged my PSU in to test it. And I thought it wasn't working at first. It's dead silent, was in shock with it! So this is shaping up to be a totally silent system! Well nearly anyway, my GPU is still loud!

That's all for now :)

P.S. Before anyone mentions it, in the pictures the pump outlet would go straight to the res... Bad times, I realised after I took the photos, I've changed it round now :)

P.P.S. Over 10,000 views, yay!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2010
  10. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

This little PSU is quite nice ! How silent is it ?

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I could hear my laptops fans over it unless I put my ear on the PSU. Literally. My laptop fans weren't exactly moving either.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Considering what you've packed into that little box, it's a neat and tidy build...nice one

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, this it utter shite. I had everything installed. I mean everything. Then what happens? My pump doesn't work. At all, there's bugger all movement from it. So I'm a mixture of pissed off, upset and just ARRRGH! So if anyone could take a look in the marketplace and at my thread, I'd appreciate it. A lot. Thanks.

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Right, I've cooled off :) Update time, well kinda.

I got my OCUK GTX460 'Value' card, which turned out to be an Inno3D card, I'm guessing a reference design, so I may decide to watercool it at some point. We'll see though.

Anyway, pics:

The box...shiney:
    [​IMG]

Pretty sparse in here:
    [​IMG]

Oooh, the extras?
    [​IMG]

The card:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it stood next to my old GTX260..which dwarfs it:
    [​IMG]

The bay res installed, I think it looks awesome! Just need to get this loop sorted so I can fill it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few little shot of the innards:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, that is a t-line I have in there as well. Originally I couldn't fill the res from the fill port on it, so I stuck a t-line in there for filling. I've got a far more ingenious idea on how to fill it coming up soon though ;)

And the coolant, don't worry, it's not black, it's clear but for some reason comes in a black bottle. Hmmm..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that's all folks really, I'll update again when I get a new pump, but meh. I'm on the stock intel cooler atm, CPU is at a nice toasty 41*C atm...lovely.

Thanks,

mars

mars

bulldogjeff likes this.
  15. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Is there anything in there that ISN'T teensy? :D

Very nice!

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Haha, thanks :)

Well, total failure, but not quite...

My motherboard (DFI MI P55-T36) has an issue with USB WiFi adapters, as in, it doesn't let them work, Windows can see them, but the drivers can't make a connection with them. So, it's been sent for an RMA, and I'll hopefully get either the Gigabyte or Zotac board. Hoping I can get the Gigabyte one, some overclocking goodness :)

Word of advice if you're thinking of getting a mITX board, don't get the DFI one.

17. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

That bay res looks wicked in there man. very tidy :)

18. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Yeah, totally agreed, suits it well.:thumb:

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Still waiting on SCAN to refund me/refund to be processed so I can buy the new mobo, new pump has arrived, so I'm good to go there, the Gigabyte H55n board has a different position for the CPU than the DFI board, so I want to make sure I get the tube lenghs right, haven't got all that much left.

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Okay, mini update!

Unfortunately I still haven't had my refund from SCAN, if it's not in by Tuesday (asked for a refund on the 1st), I'll phone them up and see what the hell is going on. But I did get my new pump. Which is nice :) It's a Laing DCC (haven't a clue as to what type, it moves water and that's all I really care about.

Anyway, I've found a clever spot to hide the pump away to :) It's all very cramped, but it works. On with the pictures!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's bloody tight in there! So much so, that I have had to put a worm drive on the hose from the res to the pump. It works though.

And now for a shopping list:

EK-FC460 Nickel waterblock,
    Magicool Slim 140mm radiator,
    2 45* compression fittings,
    2 straight compression fittings,
    1 90* compression fitting.

Looking to buy these Thursday, get them Friday, install Friday, game Friday night :) OC Saturday :)

That's all for now. Thanks.