1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Silence [18th june 2007]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by iggy, 18 Jun 2007.

1. iggy

iggy Minimodder

ive finally had enough. no matter what i do, i cant get my damn pc quiet enough, so this time its all out war. case will be dual layered mdf, with aucustic foam sandwiched between both layers.

the inner case will be arranged in 2 partitions, much like the p180, with hdd and psu in a seperate lower chamber.

both partitions will have seperate airflow and this will be provided by 120mm fans with silenced ducts from below and out the back of the case.

here are a couple of somewhat crude sketchup of the inner case so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jun 2007
  2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

im not really going for looks. the intention is that it will eventually be integrated into one side of my desk, hence the motherboard in the position that its in. all connectors will be accessible from my desk for ease of use.

black paint will feature throughout, and i may put in a webcam and some leds to create a virtual window or 2. mainly so i can check that nothings sprung a leak :/

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

make sure you use rubber gaskets on all the fans, HDDs, and the PSU or anything else that moves

hope you "win" this war

4. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

You'd better start modding quick, else this'll likely be removed from the project logs page.
    Other than that, I believe that the sound absorbing foam is the same as the stuff cheap camping sleeping mats are made out of.

H.B.

5. iggy

iggy Minimodder

cheers beast.

hugob, dont think your comments are really necessary are they? firstly, youre not a mod, and secondly, youre just making wild guesses as to what im using as soundproofing.

please dont poo on my thread if you have nothing useful to contribute.

6. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

Chill out man, firstly he was only stating the rules of the forum, people arent supposed to start threads in the project logs section unless they already have evidence of serious headway ina mod, this doesnt include designs... I'm not a mod either, you gonna flame me too?

Secondly, nobody is trying to "poo on your thread". Its constructive criticism at the very worst

7. iggy

iggy Minimodder

fair does. been a while since ive read the rules :(

would have been a bit more to display today, but there was a big heavy broken car in the garage, and a bad knee in my leg :p

cars now out the garage and ill have a good bit to put up tomorrow ;)

8. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

I haven't the foggiest idea what you'll use for sound proofing, whether you'll use any at all,
    or what sound proofing foam is made of, but I *think* they're just foam rubber.
    I was thinking of testing then possibly using camping mat as sound proofing myself.
    I'm sorry for length of time to reply, I'm not very good at keeping track of where I post.

H.B.

9. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Personally I do not think it's a good idea to sandwich the foam between wood. It's not good for acoustics.

10. Pre_Tender

Pre_Tender What's a Dremel?

... ? perhaps try to find some info about music-boxes (or what's the word in english)?
    you know, the one's you have for your stereo / surround-set.

they (the more expensive ones) tend to have the best acoustic's ever.
    and are very ''quiet'' (<- not the right word to say, but quiet in a way of pure sound).

dunno if this is any good, maybe i'm just talking cr*p

PT

11. Dira

Dira What's a Dremel?

You should get like windtunnels :p Not those big but small that can get air in & out. Formed something like "U" or close to it.
    Also alot of sound will be hearable if you intend to have an open I/O plate on top? You can allways make a windtunnel and lead them out making some sort of baydevice :)

GL hope my thoughts helps abit alteast :)

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

How thick are you planning on making the mdf because two layers will weigh a friggen ton if its 3/4 inch, or 1/2 inch even... or 3/8. It just seems like there is an easier and more efficient way to make a quiet case. I'd take a look at the P180 some more and see what they did along with some other pro cases. Exactly how quiet are you looking to make this anyway?