1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Slumber Parties UPDATED 12-16-10 Leak testing

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by scgt1, 11 Jul 2010.

1. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Some possible bad news that will delay the project has just been revealed to me. I just received a pm on xs forums from my cnc guy that he was out of town in Denver and found out that the company sold their demo waterjet which he was going to use for making some final cuts on a panel for me. He said he will find out tomorrow if its still at the shop or not and let me know. If it isnt I will have to find some other cnc source which will delay the process.

If anyone in the DFW area knows of any with someone willing to do the layout also please let me know.

Sent via Samsung Captivate via AT&T Wireless.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  2. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

There's a few people from your neck of the woods here in the forums, into all the cnc stuff. Maybe they could help you out? I'll have a look see at some of the logs I follow if you like, drop you a name or two for pm?

3. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Actually the waterjet was still there and hasn't been picked up yet. I dropped the panel off around 3:15pm this afternoon and he cut it today after work. I will be picking it up early sometime next week. Wondering why the photos aren't active yet its after the 7th central US time.

4. LooseNeutral

Good news on the panel! Maybe something you have to do here to reload the picts. I haven't posted a work log here, yet.

5. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Nope has nothing to do with the forum. I logged into photobucket and I'm still at 11g so over my limit. Can't wait until the 9th and I'll fix this problem from happening the next 2 years anyway.

6. LooseNeutral

Now that's planning ahead lol. Not to worry, you'll get'em striaght. I look forward to the build. Got you on instant email alert. :D

7. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Talked with a friend from New Orleans today that does Spray Paint Art. He painted some stuff for us when we were their for my fiance's convention back in April and he was going to do some other things to one of them with an airbrush at his studio. Unfortunatly we weren't able to meet up with him before we had to leave and I've been trying to get ahold of him since. He has been back and forth to Mexico because his mom is having some health problems. I received a call from him today and a little surprise for the build is underway again.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oooh 7th august, time to look at this :).

Nice painting, not usually keen on red & black but this looks good & I like the simple but very effective technique with the polystyrene & screws, then powder coated & must say it looks good :), if I haven't bought a spray gun for my compressor by the time I do my next project think I'll go the powder coat route, the amount of cans I've got through really adds up, could have had it anodised even for the cost.

The sleeving looks good, infact it looks pretty damn good :D.

The spray art sounds good, look forward to it :thumb:.

I really like the 5870, just a shame it doesn't do the physx frilly bits & any of the nifty things the new nvidia's can do, very tempted to sell mine, get a gtx 480 + 3rd party cooler, mafia II is released this month & want to enjoy it in full settings missing no features, best game ever coming up this month woooo :rock:.

9. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Colors
    If it wasn't for building it off my fiances business I probably wouldn't have done red/black/white. I've always liked the Blue builds and the boards that are out now:jawdrop:
    The office is red, white, and black though because it is her office for the business. So the blue lights I had just weren't cutting it.

polystyrene & screws?
    I'm lost I had that stuff in some of the photos?

No physx with ati?

The 5870 handles Physx just fine although I wanted to allow the card to handle just graphics so I tossed in the 9800 GT for Physx. The official drivers wont allow an Nvidia card to be used with ATI for Physx. That's why you go modified. What brand 5870 do you have though? I may be interested later in taking it off your hands if you are wanting to change over to the dark side. I left the dark side this time around with the 5870 for the first time ever and hands down couldn't be happier.

I didn't like what I was reading about Nvidia and where they were going with their tech. Sounded like they were leaving us computer guys in the dust for the portable world. Not to mention the performance per wattage ratio just made sense. I was cooking a year ago with my dual 9800 GTX cards so it was time for a change. :rock:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

But dunno if thats what you call it in the US

Does it not cause any complications using an nvidia card with old drivers & an ati card?.

Hmmm I have a spare 9800 GTX :naughty:, but don't know if my intel p45 mobo would be compatible, I'll have to look into this because the 5870 is a sweet card being held back by nvidia :thumb:. 1 potential problem I see with this though is on steam all games run for the first time install bits & bobs including nvidia physx sometimes else the game won't start would this cause it to mess up the old drivers?.

11. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Yea I forgot all about that photo. LOL We call it styrofoam in the states. Well most of us do anyway.

I haven't had any problems with running it. Many others haven't either. You just can't use official drivers or you can't select Physx in the nvidia options.

I haven't had issues with games and steam doing what your talking about. Most recent being SC2 so I think you will be fine.

12. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

8-8-2010 Case and status updates

Picked up the panel I dropped off last week at Multicam. Then met up with a member of EVGA forums and picked up a rad for the GPU loop (will shoot some pics tomorrow). Dropped off the panel at SP Coatings and took measurements of another panel I left there for acrylic so I can work on putting that order together.

Speaking of orders:

I paid for a few items through Frozen CPU this morning and those are:

Your item was processed through and left our ROCHESTER, NY 14606 facility on August 09, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

So they were shipped Priority so I can get some of it to Michael at SP Coatings.
    He told me he is still looking at a couple weeks out until he can start on PSP though. This guy stays mad busy and in a shop with no AC in this 100+ temps we have been having. Big props go out to him.

Still finalizing some details with my PerPCS order to try and make sure I have everything aside from fans ordered. Sure would be nice if the Enermax fairy would visit me with a bunch of magma's. The cheapest I found these things are $12.99. I'm looking for 15 of these things. :-( will have to wait a while. I gotta start paying the DJ for the wedding now. :wallbash:

13. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Bad news about 2nd panel cnc

Ok so while thinking about that most recent panel I had cut. I was thinking that the S that is on the other panel that was posted some time back actually kept the center of the loop in the S. Which keeps with the copyrighted logo of the company. So I did some digging back through photos and sure enough there were two little tabs put in place to keep the center intact on the S to keep the letter uniform with company copyright. Well this most recent panel doesn't have that. Therefore this makes for a real big problem.

I can't use the panel on this case because the logo is trademarked and with having it changed and missing a good part of it that makes it look like and S its a trashed panel now. Anyone remember the problems I had with CM getting one of the panels. Yea the screw up three times over by them and UPS one of which is still MIA.

I have one more panel here for that side, but don't intend to use it considering I have a full HAF932 in pieces in the garage from the screw job powder coating that was done. So I planned on using it in a later build since its all intact.

So here is my problem:

I'm out a panel due to it not being done properly.
    I refuse to order a new one myself and deal with those idiots at CM anymore. Let alone pay for one.
    I refuse to pay to have it cut properly again as I didn't screw this up. I asked if the images were still in his possession from the previous cut and was told yes. Had there been any questions about it then I would have been happy to answer them. Unfortunatly I was there for the first panel to get cut. I was not for the second or this would have been avoided all together.

UPDATE!!!
    Was told that he could cut it again on a piece of metal and give me the insert that is missing. Which is fine as it will keep the original trademark shape of the S. I will just use 3m tape to adhere it to the acrylic that will be behind it.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2010
  14. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Dug around in the couches and skimped out on some stuff for the first of this month and made a $260 order with PerPCS.

15. LooseNeutral

Sometimes you deal with contractors/companies that appear great on the outside but don't follow through with the goods!. Sometimes they do but it takes forever because they've made other commitments and are in a bind with other customers. They should always be honest with the customer and tell them "your order is backlogged" up front, if there is a mistake or the customer is not happy, the owner of said biz should do the right thing by the customer. These dayz it really matters to a biz to keep the customer happy. "Out of Biz" signs everywhere! All I can say is the old saying, Let the buyer beware! I personally have seen on this forum the help provided to so many when the "Call to Arms" goes out. There are many here who will help. Post a new thread, an "SOS" if you will. Like Billy Joel said " You maybe right, I maybe crazy.." I wish I could help! Read the old dogs logs, Patients rules. More bees with hiney.. I mean honey :D Your doing fine! Better than me!

16. LooseNeutral

I'm sorry for the dbl post! i've ran an electrical Biz for twenty years. It's over and many of my good friends have had to move on. Keep modding and keep Creating! I find a place of solace with what you do! Thanks

17. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Didn't see a double post. Kinda lost by the rest too. LOL:confused:

18. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

8/11/10 Some goodies

In celebration of my 100th post I bring you...Got some Goodies!

So I remember saying I picked up the RX360 the other day and I was going to do photos. Well sorry about that I've been rather busy with the yard. Today I received my FrozenCPU order so without further delay.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The web picture made this sucker look alot bigger then it really is.
    [​IMG]
    How the hell am I supposed to pour distilled water in the system with this thing? LOL

Picked these up to finish of sleeving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boy have I gotten rusty with the camera. Although the environment has changed drastically. The light box is now in the garage on a desk so I can't stand while doing the photos comfortably. I was using the kitchen table since we never sit at it anyway. Not only that its 100 degrees outside so I didn't want to take too long trying to get the greatest shots anyway. Not that a Canon PowerShot A520 can do the greatest shots anyway. I have had much better though.

Since the box takes up the surface of the desk I have to set the camera up inside the box which isn't what I did before so the lights shine on the display now and make it hard to see if the photos are clear or not with settings. So I must think up something else from now until the case is done at SP Coatings.

My Performance PCs order shipped today via UPS Ground so I should receive it on Monday. Maybe I can come up with something better by then. The table now has boxes of wedding stuff for next July so I can't use it. :-(

UPDATE!!!
    Updated Key Build items in 1st post.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2010
  19. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Got more goodies 8-20-10

More goodies!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now. I have something on its way from the other side of the globe that was shipped air post. Should be here soon. I'm assuming since it was mailed on the 12th that its held up in customs. I also made an order last night for some sheets of acrylic. One piece I have to ship to New Orleans to Cangogh.

We have a neighbor who is an International Flight attendant for AA whom has been going on several trips lately to London, Frankfurt, Honolulu. He owns two houses here locally in TX and one house in Colorado. He also has land on a ridge in Colorado and property in New Mexico as well. For some reason he keeps dropping in here and then going to his property in Keller, TX as well as the house in Colorado. He spent near a week in Colorado here recently before flying back to London. He was bragging about having to mow the grass twice in Colorado.

Well he keeps neglecting to mow the one up the street from us. So my fiance was bored after mowing our front yard so she took a trip up the street......
    [​IMG]
    I should have got a shot of all of her in the photo. LOL all I got was like her feet and it wasn't intentional.
    Two days later the neighbor across from him called her and said "Hey have you seen Michael's yard? It looks like crop circles." My fiancee said "Yep I did it!" Later that day she started feeling bad about the crop circles and went back to finish it. LOL
    I've been busy with the yard as usual planting more plants and trying to keep them watered as well as the grass with these excessive 100* days we have been having. Sometime I'll get to the jungle in the back yard. :wallbash:

I'll shoot some shots of the front showing what I've been busy with lately.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2010
  20. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

Holy crap! This case, is a case from hell! Not only did things go wrong once, they went wrong countless times! If something goes wrong on one of my cases, I just trash it! lol