1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

First of all great job so far. Looking great!

My question is whether it is possible to reverse the barbs and have them facing the other direction with the plugs on the other side.

In other words having them come up this way...
    The reason i ask is i currently have a small GPU block on my gfx card and its bending from its weight. I love the look of this one but am afraid what it might do to the PCB! If it's possible to reverse the barbs then i could support the gfx card by connecting it vertically to the rad in the roof of my case. Does that make sense? :)

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Cyprio: You can use the EK blocks to go either way. Each barb can go either up or down, you decide.
    Another point of why that block is so damned good :D

3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yup, they are incredible blocks, im ordering mine either tonight or tomorrow, and yeah, tehy come with 2 holes on each side, 2 barbs and 2 plugs, so you can play around as much as you like with the config!

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I keep getting tempted by them too. Not good. :D

5. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

dont fight temptation

GO FOR IT!

they are rather bloody tasty!!!!

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

modsquad: Have you given any thought to making a new top for the block out of brass or black acetal/delrin, then routing the tubing in the other direction out of the copper base? The brass or delrin could then be painted with the skull pattern.

However, when using the clear top most of the copper color will end up hidden by Green UV reactive dye in the water wouldn't it...

7. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

What's th point of getting the blingest blocks in the world if you're covering up all the shine? :p
    And, iirc, Modsquad had painted up some Aquacomputer(?) blocks with skulls & stuff.

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Aqua-Computer MicroDrive HD cooler:
    [​IMG]
    Remember, it's not about purchasing cool-gear and installing it..It's about MODification..But, in the case of the EkWaterBlock- just the touch of green to integrate with the green on the MB..

@Capt. Slug: No H20-dye.. I would never use the stuff..
    I had originally planned on "skulled-up" paint on the pumps FMJ, GPU block and HD cooler. BUt, I had a change of heart and am going with only the HD cooler..
    PS:
    There's a small update. A case-mod that will never see the light of day but should improve air flow:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    We will get the BIX radiator installed this weekend for-sure.. :thumb:

Last edited: 3 May 2006
  9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

looking bloody goood.............................

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Lookin good.

Have you considered airbrushing some small skulls onto the tubing?

Maybee the OD is too small, could look cool though!

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  11. modsquad

That's an original idea zr_ox, I have never seen anyone do that.. Perhaps on a "big-bore" loop. The 11mm OD of the black Tygon in this loop would make it all but impossible..

HWlabs Radiator-install tomorrow (Saturday) and perhaps preview some frontal accent-lighting..
    Followed by Hiper PSU-install Sunday along with some Alu-polishing (exhaust fan)..
    Large Update (perhaps two) soon: Stay tuned :thumb:

12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

the main problem with that idea (i love the idea!! i think it would look sick) is that the tubing, as soon as you bend it all the skulls would crack etc etc, and would most likely be destroyed!

even on a big bore loop, youd most likely lose all detail as soon as you tried to fit them!

but zr_ox mentioning that, hows about some skulls on the northbridge cooling? as that would make it look really sick! (i dont mean ont he heatpipes, i mean on the blocks, as to me they just look like big blocks of green right now, but wth some skulls they'd look awesome!)

look forward to all the updates!

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

could you make vinyl cut outs of skulls and attach them to the pipes after they had been installed?

14. Co2

Co2 CadUser

The skull on ac pipes: Fit the cables, take them out but keep them in their shape as you paint the skulls on (doubt you want to) and put them back on when it's dry

15. Oxnard

Oxnard What's a Dremel?

Modsquad, within the next month, HWlabs SHOULD be releasing a Gen Two model of the Black Ice radiators, that should double the performance, you should check it out

http://www.hwlabs.com

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

problem with the vinyl idea, it would crease! and would reduce the flexibility of the tubing greatly!

17. customh

customh conflagration.

Any village idiot around here knows that oxnard, read a few other posts in the (extreme cooling section...maybe?) of the forum before you get all post happy, k? Welcome though.

18. modsquad

Radiator install:

A small update: radiator and fan installed.
    [​IMG]
    Very straight forward (EZ in fact) install. Threaded rod (M4) acorn and standard hex nuts and a dose of Loctite..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I thought about some green acrylic for the face of the radiator, but decided to go spartan. Sometimes, less is more..

[​IMG]
    I wanted to re-attach the front panel. BUT, it seems I have a slight clearance issue with the back-side of the Bulgin vandal switches hitting the new fan grill I installed. :duh:
    We will remedy that tomorrow..
    PS: Nice to see the project logs back to the old-format.. :thumb:

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ooof, harsh! Way to welcome a newcomer who's just trying to be helpful :grr:

Anyways MS - like the update. I've gotta agree on the less-is-more. Hardly the right log to talk about that, but you seem to know when you've reached too much, and you might well find a bunch of guys in tinfoil suits with geiger counters roaming around if you put any more green in that case!

Agreed about the "new" PL format. I'm tempted to have some fun with my fileserver, mostly because I just need something to do, but wanted to hold off till the switch.

20. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Why not some stickers? like, skulls, only as big as you need them, placed every here and there. Problem solved. Flexable, no creasing.