1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I am glad you like the project! "Soylent green is People" :hehe:
    http://www.soylent-green.com/
    Disclaimer::
    I am in NO WAY affiliated with the above link, just found it amusing.
    MS

2. ctrl_alt_del

ctrl_alt_del New Member

Hey modsquad, what kind of prep work did you do to the case skeleton before painting? and what kind of paint did you use? I got a Lian Li I have to paint and yours look nice! thanks a lot!

3. modsquad

The interior of the case was bare-metal, so all I did was wipe the case down with lacquer thinner to remove any junk on the metal.
    I used a high temp paint made by VHT designed for auto rotor/calipers and brake drums. It is said to resist temps as high as 900F as well as being very durable ( no cracking or chipping). Then three coats of green UV reactive clear coat.

4. Isuo

Isuo New Member

That black colour is so smooth man. Nice work!

5. B£AST

B£AST New Member

Looking Sweet :rock: I love the yellow!

6. modsquad

You had better adjust your monitor, it's VERY Green.. :hehe:

7. modsquad

The exterior finish of the SilverStone case is less than stellar. After a long debate with the owner, we decided to re-paint the case. It will get 3-4 coats of black and a trick (pearl) clearcoat finish. As long as I have the airbrush out, perhaps we will do some custom graphics as well..Should start this weekend. :thumb:

8. Mosha

Mosha New Member

Sweet!! Can't wait for updates!

9. modsquad

I will get 2-3 coats of black on the case over the weekend. I am still waiting for the rest of my Createx Auto Air paint (the pearls and candy stuff).
    http://www.createxcolors.com/index2.htm
    No big thing, as I will be lucky to get the black finished. Painting is a slow process: paint, wait for paint to set-up, wet-sand, more paint, more sanding.. :sigh:

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, but if you take the time it'll come out DAMN good. And with this and BN we have high expectations :hehe: Although I'm fairly confident the guy you're doing this for would care more than us. I've never really taken the time to paint something that well, and it tends to be fairly obvious (not that they're horrible paint jobs, but certainly not the quality of what you and others do)

11. modsquad

There have been some excellent paint jobs done on this forum. My painting skills are Ok, but I really don't enjoy doing it. The sanding and mess is what I dislike, but your correct the end result is worth the work. What is nice about the new Createx Auto Air colors is they are water base (EZer clean up).
    The case well get the 3 coats of black, 3 coats of dark green candy transparent and then a few coats of clear. The owner and I are also looking at doing some airbrushed graphics perhaps fogged edges (you know what I like: skulls, bones, demons) we will see.
    So bottom line, this will take some time to finish..

Last edited: 31 Mar 2005
  12. IYIENACE

IYIENACE New Member

Subscribed*

Love the detail and craftmanship Modsquad.
    BTW I see you also use Klipsch. :hip:

Excellent taste. ;)

13. tsa cain

tsa cain New Member

i think you have some of the best projects :thumb:
    i cant wait till you finish. I know it will turn out very good.

14. modsquad

Thanks IYIENACE. The Klipsch speakers belong to the owner of the case. Klipsch makes good speakers, no doubt.
    I will start painting tonight (the black base coat). I plan on having the owner do all the messy wet-sanding while I watch. :hehe:
    2-coats of black base coat is all that is possible in one session. While the paint is drying I have some ideas :idea: to integrate more green UV acrylic into the mix.
    Update will be Sunday...Stay Tuned..

15. modsquad

Thanks for the vote of confidence tsa cain. The project is moving, but moving slowly as the case is not at my SlaughterHouse..

16. modsquad

I got about 8-hours work done on the project yesterday. Some front panel mods and the black base coat.....BUT photobucket is having server problems and I can't upload the pictures to show you.. :wallbash:
    SOON

17. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

I hope photobucket come back up soon. I want to see the updates!

Last edited: 4 Apr 2005
  18. modsquad

Thanks for the offer tm36usa. Photobucket just put up a notice. It should be fixed in a few hours..I will have to drink a few beers and wait. :thumb:

19. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x New Member

Maybe imageshack.us for a temp. solution? :D

20. modsquad

Custom Paint

OK.. Before we get started with SG's paint, the front panel needs a few modifications. The SilverStone case draws its intake air from the bottom of the case, which makes for a very clean front view. BUT, I think more air-intake would be a Good thing.
    [​IMG]
    Map-out the five side air-intake holes.
    [​IMG]
    Drill and file the 5/16" holes clean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next, SilverStone uses the "ultra-small" LED's for power on (blue) and HD action (red). Gotta' go. Redriiled both for GREEN 5mm LED's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We are ready for paint. As with most things coming out of my SlaughterHouse, it will be labor-intensive and expensive (over $100 for the paint alone).
    Paint process, it will be a 5-part process:
    Base Coat (Jet Black)
    MidCoat (Pearl Black)
    GraphicsCoat (Pearl white,Pearl green,Opaque Apple green). The graphic design still needs to be "finalized" with the owner.
    CandyCoat (Black candy)
    ClearCoat (PPG DCU2010 Urethane Speed Clear)
    For anyone interested, a few paint links.
    http://img.www.autoaircolors.com/
    http://img.www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp
    http://img.www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmHome.asp
    and the GUN.
    http://img.www.badger-airbrush.com/
    LETS move on with the front panel. The stock paint will act as a primer coat. It gets wet-sanded with 3M 2000 grit paper.
    [​IMG]
    Shoot a coat of the JetBlack, and wet-sand (colorsand) again. Wet sanding is a messy-thankless job, but it can make or break a good paint job. Everthing needs (2) coats of the JetBlack. Wet sanded, washed and cleaned with HOK prep solvent between coats. PICTURES:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wet sanded side and maincase (still wet with prep sol). NOtice the Chair, it's color almost matches my UV green acrylic... :hehe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shoot the second (and last) coat of JetBlack with 25-30psi. via the Badger 175Crescendo (heavy nozzle).......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EVERYTHING needs to be wetsanded, washed and cleaned with prep solvent again.
    3-4 (light) coats of BlackPearl (the midcoat) up next......... :thumb:

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008