1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: SpeLL7 (COMPLETE 7/28 - FINAL PICS POSTED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 5 Sep 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

MS: No, I'm not going to touch the PSU. One, it's a huge pain in the ass to do (as you can imagine), two, the PSU sits so close to the entrance of the wire mgmt "L" that they will go right into it and be 99% covered, and three, warranty/resellability remains intact if I leave it alone.

I've got 2 individual sleeved SATA power cables done that I havent shown yet because I cracked my last right angle SATA power connector piece :duh: and I dont want to show something that isnt done yet.

Still trying to convince myself not to use that extra 240 rad I have sitting around... but it is sure tempting. When I lie awake at night I keep thinking how I could make a parallel setup work :idea:.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Cmon people! Surely this log deserves some stars!

Great work with the aluminum and nice attention to detail. Also good work with the pictures, it's really a pleasure to browse through a project log with just the right amount of high quality piccys! :)

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Jipa: thanks very much!

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Stars added by me too. I like the progress.

john

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

You get my stars.

6. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

and from me :D

7. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Thanks to all for the stars... makes me feel :hip:

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

enough-said, I understand..
    BUT< The single-wire-sleeve stuff is way-cool..
    more-here..

9. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Yeah, I think it's pretty cool too (obviously) :brrr:

I think I've got plenty of it in the project up to this point, like the 24pin ATX, 4pin ATX, 8pin PCI-E, 6pin PCI-E (still to come), 2x HDD cables, HDD & DVD-RW.... especially considering you're not going to see any of the stock PSU wires, just the extensions.

NO MORE (not like there's much more I could individually sleeve):hehe:

10. Ozzh3d

Ozzh3d What's a Dremel?

I admire your work, especially this sleeving the individual cable business... More than that, i admire your patience, i've sleeved 2 psu's before and that was a pain with the cables grouped!

I would like to know where you got this cable from? Did you crimp it yourself? This is exactly what i am looking for (without your signature sleeving of course).

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

MS - you need to stop linking to that Million Dollar PC site. It's entirely intimidating. [​IMG]

I will never be that good. Congrats on a well found link never the less. So many things to see and so many things to hope to do.

john

12. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Thanks!

The cable, I made myself out of black 18AWG wire and right angle SATA attachments from Performance PCs.

13. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Hey man, all I've got to say is that I hope after this mod it won't be a year before we see more of your work again! Amazing build log, excellent photography, and a killer project. :clap:

14. Bolx

Bolx The Dogs

just been taking a read of what you have done so far :D

i agree that dominator fan mod you have done looks great :)

cant wait to see some more progress on this one

*bookmarked* this page

15. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Bolx - Not sure if by bookmarked you mean subscribed or just added the page to favourites. If it is the latter.

If you click on "Thread Tools" near the top of the page then click "Subscribe To This Thread", follow the next pages and select the type of notification. It will appear in "User CP" and will be yellow/green when there is a new post.

16. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

OK just wanted to give a quick update lest you think I fell off the face of the earth.

I havent had a ton of time lately to work, what with Thanksgiving and my son's 2nd birthday party this past weekend, so progress has been slow.

Most recently, I sleeved the 6 pin PCI-E (pictures to follow some other time) and combined the 3 Yate Loon fans into a single cable, as seen below:

[​IMG]

That was kind of a pain to solder and I'm happy it's finished. Note the extra long tail to allow the fan to connect to the fan controller in the front.

I also got the MNPC Tech light switch panel drilled and mounted this afternoon. That's going to look pretty cool I think. I just have to find a suitable box to cover the backside of the switches, which has been a lot harder than it sounds for some unknown reason.

I'm down to 12 more things to do on the case before it's ready for powder. I can hardly wait. I decided against the second loop and radiator because it would just require too much rework and more money that I really don't want to spend right now.

I've got some ideas for the front of the case that I'm currently tossing around, not really sure yet which I'll end up going with.

More on that later...

cheers:thumb:

17. Trip.X

Trip.X What's a Dremel?

Nice work on that sleeving

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Just wondering: If you connected those 3 fans to the motherboard, would the motherboard be able to deliver enough power? And what would the RPM readouts tell you?

19. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I'm not sure if the motherboard would do it or not ... maybe ... dont know about the RPMs either :confused:

:lol:

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, I'm asking, because I'm going to do the same kind of thing to the 2 Nanoxia fans on my 240 mm. radiator.

But, as I'm not sure if the motherboard can deliver enough power to feed both fans, I will power them directly from the PSU, with a Fan Speed Regulator between fans and PSU.

The plan is to connect the RPM wire of one of the fans to the motherboard and connect ground and +12V to a Fan Speed Regulator (the kind that sits on a PCI bracket and is "just" there for adjusting the speed of the fan, hence, not monitoring it nor sounding an alarm and such...).

This way I'll be able to control both fans using just one fan speed regulator and still see RPM readouts from both fans - they should be identical - but it won't tell me if one of the fans has died. Well, not that important anyway :D

Tags: