1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

////\Project Spidy/\\\\ - Dremel O.C`ing + blazing eyes(update 15/7).

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by alianyn, 20 Feb 2004.

1. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

So, me and some friends (which will be referref to from now on as "the idiots" out of love - seriously!) were studying (yeah@r8.sure) frantically for some test (pharmacology i think) when i showed them the custom grill i had made :

[​IMG]
    they liked it and so i had 2 show them some modding sites and on one of our browses, for some still unknown reason they were blown away by this :
    [​IMG]
    i don`t even remember where we got it from, but after that the conversation went something along the lines of :

me : "bahhhhhhh - ugly case, st00pid cut"
    idiot #1 : "u couldn`t make one if your life depended on it - it`s a work of art
    belonging in museums!"
    me : "yeah@r8.sure"
    idiot #1 : "cutting plastic is EASY, you can never do this"
    me : "you flaming #@$#@, plastic is the hardest to work with - it melts -
    metal is easily shaped"
    idiot #2 : "bet you can`t make one?!"
    ***** long silence - people staring at each other - will i be brave enough to
    step up to the challenge??? *****
    me : "it`s a bet - get me a case and i`ll do that - if it goes well i keep the
    case and you two pay for it, if not, i pay for it and you can do with it
    what you want"
    idiots : "agreed"

after about two weeks we got ourselves a brand new, 15$ heavy metal, 350W generic psu, case (or was it a metal weight?).
    as i have only now bought myself a decent digicam (i previously had NONE), a canon A80, i cannot show the case at the beginning of the process, but believe me - that`s one pic you`ll thank me for not seing...

and so the modding began... after much cutting, cursing, and painting i had the final result (actually getting the same fan was the biggest problem) :
    [​IMG]
    it was cut TOTALLY using a dremel, and some metal files, painted by an automotor garage, and the plexy is a big piece of 3mm i found lying in the garbage... (plexi costs an arm and two legs over here)

they liked what they saw (duhhh) and so obviously they paid and i kept and so was born - project Spidy...

i have since then added the following :
    1. added a top window (pictures to follow - a technical problem...)
    2. started work on a custom front plastic and circuits which will reside in the
    beast (elaborations later)
    3. made a nice lm317T fan bus - which i will show a prototype of (the actual
    circuit will remain the same but housing and buttons will change ofcourse)
    [​IMG]
    of course it will not look like this in the end, this was just for testing i got
    the wiring o.k - final bus will include lights galore (courtesy of lm3914`s)

things planned for project :
    1. an lcd (hopefully 5") contributing to the spidy theme by displaying spidy
    flash stuff...
    2. cable arrangement - i`m the messiest at that stuff...
    3. addition of molexes to the generic psu.
    4. perhaps a color change for the whole case - chrome?
    5. poor man`s case lighting using high intensity leds, which will later be
    controlled by a microchip (pic - have not yet decided which one...) which
    will be the heart of the electronics of this project (including temp control
    and automatic cd tray opening on vocal comman, and much more fun
    stuff...)

which brings us to today`s update - as i have stated above my upper window is almost finished and i have decided on a window in the cd-rom as well in the spirit of the case.
    as you can see i had a hard time deciding on which logo to cut
    [​IMG]
    but i finally chose, and cd was taken apart
    [​IMG]
    some led action added for later :rock:
    [​IMG]
    the logo was drawn
    [​IMG]
    and cutting began
    [​IMG]
    at this point i got a bit board with cutting and began work on the other side of the cd cover - it was sanded and primed
    [​IMG]
    then spray painted to black
    [​IMG]

still being bored i went on to think of my problem - plexi here as i said costs much $$$ but i had an idea - join some plexi rectangles together and later round them up - i have at this point to thank -the resetter- (owner of project Plexilicious Illuminati) for the thorough explanation of plexi adherence and other stuff... ;)
    i have the rectangles now attached to each other, filed smooth, holed and held like so

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i got bored with that and went on to complete the logo cutting and sanding of the top cover
    [​IMG]
    as you can see disaster struck and somewhere at the beginning of the cutting i had accidently left the dremel on while playing with it :wallbash:
    so i made some epoxy with leftover metal bits from the cutting and sanding to fix it before priming and coloring
    [​IMG]
    applied the epoxy
    [​IMG]

and so my next update should be of the cd logo and cd lighting + cd custom front bezel, the button experiment and the case lighting + maybe the psu molex adding, so stay tuned for some more :dremel:

Last edited: 16 Jun 2004
  2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

nice job, i really like the drive window :thumb:

Isn't that window a pre-mod window? I know I've seen that window before and I'm almost positive it was on a pre-mod case . . . hopefully your friends didn't think it was better than some of the other cases out there :nono:

3. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

like i said, we had originaly seen the design on some modding site - i know it`s a custom cut one - but my point was to let them see that man is better then machine and that i can make one just as good...

unfortunately they still think it`s a good window design and what`s worse is that i`ve grown fond of it :waah: and have based the whole case around it!
    but again i emphasize - the window on my case is man made by me! and of course trusty :dremel:

***edit - typo : orginialy -> originaly

4. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

superb work mate
    :thumb:

5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

/me likes!
    Mod on, and keep up the good work, man! :dremel:

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Nice work that window looks identical, good work on the CD drive, keep it up!
    'doc

7. KONIJN

KONIJN What's a Dremel?

i like that drive window
    and that window looks good too

8. ajack

ajack rox

Very impressive dremelling skillz you got there :)

9. pholus

pholus What's a Dremel?

Nice job on the window :thumb:
    As a suggestion - how about some red tint see through material on the side window to give it some more spidey treatment?

10. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

1st lemme just thank you guys for the compliments.
    k - small update :

cd and epoxy after sanding
    [​IMG]
    that was some HARD sanding - apparently in all the excitement i put maybe :eyebrow: a bit too much epoxy - so now my arms hurt!

and ofcourse, first layer of primer added
    [​IMG]

k - i think i`ll call it a day as on monday i have a HUGE test in medicinal microbiology :waah:

<pholus> i like your tainting idea though i`m not sure about the red have to give it some more thought and experimentation...

if no one has any objections (please post them if you do) i`ll try and finish each project update with a nice scenary "pic of the update"
    [​IMG]

hope you like, enjoy...

11. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

The drive and the scenery looks purdy!
    'doc

12. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

k - i need your advice guys, playing a little with photoshop - i changed the color of the paint (which is now primer gray`ish) to black and to reflective black and neither were looking good enough for me.
    i even liked the fluorescent green better :sigh:

so, what`s your opinion? i`m giving some examples but i`m sure some photshop guru can do better :

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

come to think of it - i even have a chrome spray in here somewhere and a fluorescent orange if someone cares for those...

help?

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm kinda lazy so the clipping paths are really poor, but what about sometinhg like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also would have used this logo
    [​IMG]

14. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

<Jesse> your l33t with the photoshop!
    i like logo4 the most, and as you can see in my first post that logo was considered (it`s the lower one in the decision picture) but it did not make a good window cutout to my standards, plus instinctively i liked the one i did better. though you are correct it is the original spidy logo - i DO have another cd top cover fitting this cd so i might do that one also, put them head to head see which one looks better :idea:

thanks for the suggestion - your logo4 is, as of now, first runner up ;)

15. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm up for some more drawing...just give me some guide lines.

16. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

i`m open to any suggestions - i don`t like too many colors in one place, that`s why i opted for black in the first place, and that`s what i love about your logo4 - only black and red and consistent!

the plan is to either plexi the window or to mold plastic into it and have that light up either blue or red on activity. the cd window will not be clear but frosted (sanded if it`s plexi) so lights in there should give it a nice volume effect...

anything to accompany that and add to the effect, i guess - along the lines of the spidy mod - again as you did would be nice.

17. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

לא רע
    :d

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

please rephraise, I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

19. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

Very cool! Spiderman's my fave hero- so witty :)

anyway- how do you plan to mask off that kind of a design on the cd cover? That looks more than a little difficult. Maybe a custom vinyl? and just knife through the cut?

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

1/4" or 1/8" painters tape would work wonders...paint it white, mask off the white...paint it black