1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

////\Project Spidy/\\\\ - Dremel O.C`ing + blazing eyes(update 15/7).

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by alianyn, 20 Feb 2004.

1. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

heheh curves= hard to mask. Of course, if you pulled it off it would look even more excellent than it already does

2. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

<Jesse> i`m not really sure what you didn`t understand so i`ll try and stick to the point :
    1. the reason i loved your logo4 on contrary to logo3 for example - too many
    colors in one place for my taste.
    2. the window is not complete - it is cut but needs some plastics to prevent
    dust from cumming in (i guess this part you already know) - i mean to do
    this in one of two ways - A) the normal plexied way...
    B) something i have not yet seen done -
    actually forming plastic (in a chemical
    reaction) in the cut - it will look more
    crystalized which will give it a spiderweb
    effect and it will light up better
    3. i`m going to light up the complete window from beneath it using high
    intensity leds, to give that spiderweb look i was referring to i mean to
    sand the plexi accordingly if i do go with the plexi plan...

so... anything which corresponds with that in clean lines is good for me - i`m no artist - i have no artists eye as far as drawing goes (the woman does all of that - she`s the one who drew ALL the designs of the windows, etc... - i only cut and do the other stuff ;) )
    hope i cleared it up - if not, please be more specific as to what i`m not clarifying or if you need more specific guidelines - `cause i love your work so far.

<Skaal-tel> i`m going to first paint it all white, then cut some simple masking tape in the form i want - like the web design our good Jesse here contributed and then paint black over that.

***edit : i see you guys have been posting as i was...
    so i`ll just add it here - curves are easy to do if you cut them in masking tape. you just use an exacto knife or something similar to cut the pattern you want in parts of masking tape, put them all together and VOILLA...

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Perfect. Makes much more sence.

4. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Sounds like a fair deal to meh ;) :hehe:

^^ :blush:

I wish I could view the photo's but I cant, I’m @ a LAN now and they kinda narrowed down the sites we can visit :sigh:, but I managed to get bit-tech open :D, so ill check them when I’m home :thumb: but from what I can read I guess this must be a keeper ;) bookmarked.

5. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I think this one looks great. The Solid colors are not as "custom" and this is a more original design.

Your case and ideas are great. Keep going!

6. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

thanks for the imput mondak, perhaps i SHOULD consider something more unaurthodox, but like i said - i`m a man of clean lines and i`m not 2 sure about that design - i`ll run it by the lady - anyways - again thanks for the opinion.

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

No 1 get mad but i think its a stock case painted black. If it is nice work on the cd drive. If not u made it look just like the stock one.

8. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

He has explained that he did do it himself and he has also explained WHY he made it look exactly like the stock one. I believe he made it himself since he has shown that he certainly is capable of doing it with his other dremel work.

Read his log ;)

Oh, and I like the case. Spidy is cool. I think you should paint the drive red with a black web origin from the middle like spiderman's clothing.

9. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

thank you jonas, i prefer it to be more in the lines of the whole mod so i will probably be opting for black as background and i`m still thinking on the web color (red or white) - most likely i`ll go with white, though i am still open to opinions and suggestions...

<tm36usa> why should i get mad? you have just given me the best compliment anyone really can, perhaps unintentionally...
    as jonas stated - what`s next - i also bought the cd with that window??
    my pops gave me 2 great things :
    one is great hands - they are almost my greatest asset - they can do just about anything i can imagine, and to tell the truth, after having spent some time in the cardiology ward working on blood vessels (THEY ARE TINY) i can tell you cutting such big models in metal is EASY!
    the second is the phrase : "never buy anything you can build better yourself" - he is one of the most talented woodworkers i have ever seen (and it`s not even his profession - though it should and probably will be once he retires...), we have been offered A LOT of money for some of his work, and if i dare say my woodwork will some day be just as good... (or at least here`s hoping... ;) )

anyways, i`ve strayed a bit - actually, like i told my friends - metal is, to me at least, VERY easy to work with, the whole door cutting took me about 1-2 hours and the cd window took even less now that i have better tools and have improved and devised my own techniques ( :lol: some are based on surgeory techniques...)

a bit of a long one that was, i do apologise and again thank you for the complement and urge you to :read: , hoping all my work gets complimented like this (man can do MUCH better then machine - heck we built them!)...

***edit : added part more relevant 2 the log (first line)

10. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Ok, What case did u start with mabey if we could see the whole thing.

11. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Good job so far, I can see how you wanted to prove you could cut it out like that and I believe you did do that work but in a way if I were you I'd be a little mad in that allot of people will just think you bought the case that way. But again great job there and nice Dremel skills. :thumb: :dremel:

12. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

setting the cd cover aside while i make my decision on the paint job and get some more paint colors (all i have available now is black, chrome, f-orange and some other color i can`t remember...), and since the PICs are not going to arrive for a few more days, i`m moving on to the rheobus, front side and the case lighting...

i started out with the rheobus buttons, the circuit is basically complete, and so is my design for it`s casing so all that`s left are the buttons which will be a very important part of the rheobus. why you ask?
    - good question, i`ve designed the circuit so it`ll light the button in accordance to output power meaning more power to fan = strongre light = brighter button and vice versa...
    there will also be some more indications but i don`t want to spoil ALL the surprise...

so, like i`ve stated before - plexi is hard to come by here, and expensive so everything i build is based on scrap pieces i get/find rods are almost impossible to get and when you can find a supplier (which i did) it costs it`s weight in gold - they wanted about 25euros for half a meter of 20mm
    (diameter) cylinder.
    so on with my plan - i`ll weld little plexi squares (each is 3mm) and then round`em up and presto - BUTTON!

since i`m having trouble getting the chloroform needed for this surgeory :naughty: (as suggested by -The Resetter-) i`m working on a prototype using epoxy and superglue (pictures of which are up in my first post). i must say so far i`m pretty happy with the results, only 2 problems :
    1. i drilled the plexi and put a screw in it hooking that up to my drill and using
    a a very raw (opposite of fine??) file on it - it did the job good but the plexi
    bar broke into 2 pieces
    [​IMG]
    2. i reattached it but as you can see the different individual squares are
    visible, where each plexi connects to the other, now this should be gone
    when chloroform welding, but if you have any different suggestions on how
    to go about this - they will be highly appreciated, also perhaps with some
    torch clearing...

anyways - here`s where i`m at this moment - the plexibar has been reglued using some stronger stuff and i`ll leave it to settle for the night and attack it again in the morning :dremel:
    [​IMG]

as for the case lights - here i opted for a more crude approach :
    i wanted the lights to be replaceable, i hate ccfl`s and i love leds :eyebrow:
    so this is the first prototype, mind you the plexi bar will remain the same, as will the means of attachment (VELCRO :rock: ) - if all goes well only the ugly black connectors will be replaced by something more fine looking and the cables will be redone and look prettier and stealthed...
    Front side :
    [​IMG]
    Back side :
    [​IMG]

so with this, i leave you for tongiht - tomorrow`s tests cramming day so dunno if i`ll have anything new - i will be going out for paint and fiberglass...

13. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Really nice. I like the way you've taken the original case (it looks like it's the exact same case painted black tbh - great work on making it identical by 1 pic!) and taken it a step further with the CD drive mod, etc. I'll be keeping my eye on this one...

-TX297

14. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

:hehe: well, actually it wasn`t based on 1 pic, especially not that pic - i showed that pic `cause it`s the original pic that sparked it all...
    I`m one of the "planning" types, meaning i carefully plan and gateher intel before execution, that`s the reason why my projects sometimes take much time to complete, in this case (pun intended) i searched the web for weeks and d.l a HEEP of pictures (i had a directory full of them) of this door, then had the woman draw it - MAN is she talented, all i do is cutting and trust me that`s easy, she`s the one who drew it from a print i made, and she`s the one who drew the logo on the cd, again from the cd...
    i`m just the guy with the ideas, electronics, and cutting skillz... she`s the really cretive one ;)

neways - `nother mini-update - i have made my first prototype button here it is with and without flash for your convinience, i was actually extatic to see that my idea is do-able, so i`ll be doing all my rheobus buttons this way - of course they will be thicker and longer, and thanks to a misunderstanding between me and a friend i`ll be giving the case some spidy feet in the spirit, just need to think how to adjust and give them a different shape :idea: enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i`m now starting my work on the rheobus casing - made of scrap plexi again, and i`m assuming i can do around 30mm (diameter) knobs so i`ll be going with that...

***edit - i forgot to say - incase someone was wandering - they are 25mm in diameter.

15. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

heh, as you might have gathered from my previous posts, i get bored quickly, so after a while of planning
    [​IMG]
    and some even MORE planning
    [​IMG]
    and yet MORE PLANNING!!!
    [​IMG]
    i finally did some cutting and sanding... B A O RRRR I N G!!!
    [​IMG]
    oooooooooh yeah - that white stuff`s all over the house, my pants, slippers, EVERYTHIN... :duh: - maybe next time i`ll cut using the disks, though i hate the taste of perspex and this way is quicker and the vaccum gets to do all the eating and not me :thumb:. good thing the woman`s @ her parents` so by the time she gets here no trace of evidence will be left...

by this time i was bored out of my mind and even electronics workbench did not help, so i opted for the immediate satisfaction we all know as :
    "CASE LIGHTING" - total pimpage!

i thought what the heck - i`ll give the led element a try, shut down the computer, plugged it in (velcro rules :rock: ) and powered up - this is what i got using 5 leds i think they are 2500Mcd each
    [​IMG]
    so i thought - mmm... that`s nice - it works, next thing i thought was, hey i made this thing so i can change lights quickly and easily - why not do that now and put in some red 3500Mcd leds i got - turns out it was a good idea as i like the red even more
    [​IMG]

yeah, yeah - no laughing about my cable arrangement, i know i`ll get it fixed soon after the psu gets modded, and just check out the plexi, like i said it was some junk i found, cleaned with water and soap and cut to size, guess i`l have to send to remove all those nasty things and scrathces :sigh:
    hate sanding...

anyways - hope you enjoyed this one, i think i`ll have to check out the blue at higher Mcd`s before i make a good decision but i`m pretty much set on red or perhaps some exotic color i can find at my supplier`s led stashbox.
    lemme know what you think - which is better - blue or red (i love the effect the red has on the fans).

16. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Looks good, keep it up man. :rock:

17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Nice thread title ;)

The Mod is looking good too :)

18. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

good work !
    congratulations

19. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

exellent job :thumb: that case rocks, may be you can build some fangrills with fish line like a spider cloth...it s just an idea :) keep up the good work!

20. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

heh thanks didn`t remember exactly where i got the idea from - just remembered that it was a forum member though i thought it was on oc.au - good 2 know the person behind the /\ - :D

i`ve actually already thought of this and the woman`s already working on some designs - when she gets back she`s supposed 2 show me so i can choose which one 2 do - good thinking though :thumb:

on the progress side of things - all i did today was get the paint i need to finish the cd window - btw - i`ve thought that maybe black background and chrome web would look better or perhaps red bckgnd and chrome web - what do you guys think - can anyone do this on photoshop - Jesse?
    i can`t seem to get chrome right so i can`t know for sure what it will look like...
    also got some bondo i need for the front part of the case and some dentists acryl which i got from a friend and i`ll use for finer parts...

other then that - been chasing a damn roach that got into our microwave oven today, the ba@#ard took one look at me and just jumped right in - where the door hinges connect (ever wonder how come they always get in those places where you can`t get`em), so he was basically in there unable to escape `till i opened the whole thing up - that TAKES TIME ( a lot of it) if you were wandering, and put it out of it`s misery, kinda makes me think if he`s ever done that before and might have been some teenage mutant ninja roach? :eyebrow: (these things always seem to happen around me...)