1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Stack-On LAN Box *Lesson Learned*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Snowshadow, 11 Apr 2005.

1. Snowshadow

Snowshadow What's a Dremel?

Yup I sure can take a picture with a keyboard (basically 1 & 1/2 keyboards in length) in front of it for sizing. Also the dimensions can be found on Stack-On.com for sizing
    26"W x 11-1/2"D x 10-1/4"H
    (66cm x 29cm x 26cm)

2. morishani

morishani What's a Dremel?

Very good! love it.
    Subscribed.

3. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

dude... h4wtn3ss... heh..

more pics !!!!

4. J_Webmaster

J_Webmaster What's a Dremel?

:rock: Still looking great!!! Keep it up.... :rock:

5. Snowshadow

In the process of installing the top plate of the toolbox I ended up having to do some extensive cutting on the case all due to that simple mistake back on the CD-Drive window. By not centering the window correctly the whole top of the case was pulled forward, things had to be bent, and holes covered. I went back to my drawings to MAKE SURE that none of this would happen again. Everything on the top plate was finally hooked up and ready to try out (Volume Control, Bass/Treble Control, Power Button, Reset Button, Hard Drive Activity LED, Power LED, Touch Pad, Crystalfontz LCD, CD Drive, and Hard Drives). Amazingly enough with all that patience I had to use creating this case, everything started up very well. I ran into the small problem of the Crystalfontz LCD screen installed upside down but I flipped it over and corrected the drawings to reflect the change once again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post video footage within the week of how everything works, sounds, and setup.
    The case is not finished as of yet though because I have that one last cd-rw drive to cut a window into and there is plenty of room for other mods.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2005
  6. Peddro

Peddro What's a Dremel?

Very very very very very very nice!! :D :D

Just wow!

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse What's a Dremel?

You have plexi or something like that in those cd windows right? Looked like it was just a hole straight through. Would imagine that could get problematic.

Looking good though. Keep up the good work.

8. Snowshadow

Yes you are correct there is 1/16" acrylic on the inside of the cd drive. Eventually I would like to see some white LEDs in the drive shining over the surface on the CD's.

On a side note one other change I had made to my plans is to thicken up the back plate. I used to light of a gauge of aluminum on the back panel and it really bends to much for me so I thickened that up in my plans.

9. phantomxc

phantomxc What's a Dremel?

thats pretty flippin sweet.

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

looks great do you think a full atx would fit?

11. Snowshadow

I do believe I CAN fit a full size ATX motherboard in there. Though it would be kind of pointless with the limited room for drives and full size ATX would really be overkill. But I need to do some research on current motherboard sizes as I know some are much wider than what is on formactors.org for ATX standards. What's nice though is the back plate can be removed and replaced with a mounting plate for MicroATX, ATX, BTX, or MicroBTX. The plate for the motherboard will have all the necessary mounting holes hopefully for all these forms.

12. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

It would be sweet if you replaced the Monitor cable with some Ribbon and routed it inside the case for the most part, (except for the plug.

13. Snowshadow

Ya I agree with you on that! I wanted to at first try to hide all the cable in the case top, but I ran into electrical interference problems (as someone asked about this before) where the LCD screen would keep turning off on me after 5 seconds. So I let the montior cable stay outside of the top without any electrical interference problems. I figure either I will shorten the cable some day or someone else will as I won't keep the case for myself.

14. Snowshadow

Hey everyone here is the promised video of Setting Up Project Stack-On LAN Box for different uses.

Stack-On LAN Box (20MB)

15. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Dude, thats sweet! Bet you the talk of the lan anytime you go. Good Job!

w00t post 666

16. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

I dig it. The only thing I dislike is the cut for the cdroms. Looks a bit jagged. But love everything else.

17. Techx

Techx What's a Dremel?

excellent mod!

18. Snowshadow

You are correct, I get a lot of people that say the cut looks jagged but in actuality the drive cover comes with depressions at certain areas to add stiffness to the metal.

19. zerocoon

zerocoon What's a Dremel?

great compac mod

20. Snowshadow

Well this will probably be the last of my own comments on this project.

I have finally cut out the window for the second CD drive and it only took me five and a half hours this time. Cutting with a scroll saw is VERY accurate but slow as can be. While I had both CD units out I thought I might as well paint the tops black and then apply a clear coat. As you can see they came out pretty well.

[​IMG]

Here is a final comparison of the rendering to current completion of Project Stack-On LAN Box

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CLICK HERE FOR LARGER PHOTO

After today I will not be putting any more time into this project myself as it will be put up FOR SALE on ebay sometime in July. As there is a lot of room for more mods to this case I hope the next person who buys this will continue to post in this project log. I will also be starting my own webpage called www.midnightmodders.com after my late night modding habits and to market my ideas.

Please post any comments or thoughts you have on this project realizing that two major changes that will come in the future is a Full Size ATX motherboard will be used as well as ease of installation and the wiring mess have been greatly improved in the next design.