March-April 2010 – Remember how I said way back at the beginning that this is sponsored by Danger Den and Outoftheboxmods.com? Well, now it’s time for that water cooling to come in to play. While excited at the prospect of being sponsored a rather pricey WC setup, I was a bit hesitant at first. After all, I hadn’t designed the case with this in mind, and I knew it would take some modification to get everything to work. What I wasn’t prepared for was the size of the radiator. I was thinking Outofthebox would send maybe a single or double 120mm sized radiator. Instead I got a Blackice GTX 360! Along with the pump, CPU waterblock, and a reservoir, fans and tubing that I ended up not using. Danger Den was kind enough to sponsor me with an Nvidia GTX285 waterblock, clear tubing, Feser 1 coolant, TWO Rad-Reservoirs, metal fittings, and a Danger Den logo fan grille. The items from outoftheboxmods that I didn’t use in this build but am saving for a future one: Now. Problems with fitting all this in the case. That radiator is HUGE, easily half the length of my case. I had to cut away some parts of the internal fan chamber to get it to fit. Also, vertical space was a major problem. I couldn’t use the blue fans pictured above because they were too thick. I wanted to use the dual Danger Den rad-reservoirs in place of those gray PVC pipes, which meant mounting them horizontally in that same space. Another problem. Remember how the top of the case is removable? Well, the only place I had space to mount the radiator was above the motherboard. Due to other space constraints it wasn’t an option to raise the motherboard higher and put the rad under it, and that would have meant bad airflow anyway. But, I couldn’t simply mount the radiator in the upper part of the case, because that had to remain detachable. I also needed to mount the dual reservoirs on top of the radiator. Another issue was the video card waterblock…it stuck up higher than I expected, and limited space under the rad. So…here’s the beginnings of what I came up with. ¾” aluminum flat bar, bent to create legs to hold the radiator: I ordered 3 1.2cm thick scythe slipstream 120mm fans. They went under the radiator, and there’s literally about 2mm clearance between them and the top of the video card waterblock: And I began fabricating a mount for the dual reservoirs since I couldn’t use the standard mounts they came with: I also began cutting away the inside of the case to make room for all this: This red LED was a leftover from the second sandcrawler model. It was in the wall of the large rear room, but to make room for the radiator I had to move it to this spot. I broke the dumb thing in the process, and replaced it with a couple more similarly located LEDs.