1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The curved bars added a little unsquareness as expected so I need to get it squished a tiny bit so it's in perfect square form so I can get the accurate curve line for the motherboard tray, this bit really needs doing to keep the squareness of the case, so really I need to make a jig for a jig for a jig lol, I'll have it sussed & done soon, I could simplify this part but it would be a gamble for it being perfect so I'll go for the j4aj4aj :D, had to take a break to have a think of a solution & the day is still young so I'll get started on it in a mo ;).

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

OK :) here is the jig to keep the case in correct position so I can mark the motherboard tray panel.
    [​IMG]

Here it is in the jig.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the 4mm sheet.
    [​IMG]

Cut to required size & this picture shows how much the curve bars are pushing it quite unsquare hence the need for the jig :).
    [​IMG]

Lined it up which was quite fiddly to get in the exact spot but got there & marked the curve.
    [​IMG]

Jigsaw time :D.
    [​IMG]

Cut done.
    [​IMG]

Filed down to precise size using a rough half circle file, then a medium, then soft & forgot to file the bit at the top out where the connector pieces are so went back & filed it out.
    [​IMG]

Woo hoo, motherboard tray panel ready for mounting which I'll try & get done tomorrow :).
    [​IMG]

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh yes. It's a party now!

4. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Awesome cuts man!!! :rock:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

To be honest I thought no way would I get that piece done today so getting it setup just to draw the curve line was the hardest part of this update lol, but the jigsaw cut was moving ultra slow & my hair was covered in bits of metal :lol:, wore safety glasses though :thumb: so yeah another step forward woo hoo :D.

Thanks Marcos :D:thumb: Attila inspired me to give the old jigsaw another try :).

6. lamanl

lamanl So little done, so much to do

original and different design

Subscribed and following :D

keep up the good work

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks lamanl, heres hoping I get on to it again tomorrow :D.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Well got about 4 hours in today so not bad but nothing like the days when I'm up at 6am & put a solid 8 to 12 hours in :).

The jig can hold in the case upright lol but put a plank of chipboard for a little extra support, spent most of the time lining up the mobo tray with the curve bars so it doesn't need forcing in so started marking the areas that need shaving down a bit shaving bit by bit off & re marking over & over about 10 or more times until it naturally slid in, so got the mobo side of the case nice & square now even without it properly fixed in place with angle bars, but the other side is unsquare by a little but that will be fine once the side panels are made ;), when taken out of the jig the mobo tray stays in place which says it is doing it's job of keeping it square like in the jig :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So once I got that done I started on the side panels, they were already to rough size needed but needed straightening by filing away, so marked a perfectly straight line to file down to & got busy, my right forearm is like popeye's now lol :D, the next pic shows the side panels filed to size with 2x 3mm flatbars also & it's nice & ready to get them marked up, cut & filed & the 2nd pic shows how it's to precise size :), actually when I think about it I could make it so the side panels click into place rather than use bolts but either way They will need a little handle of some sort on them so I can remove them :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm leaving the acrylic curve piece until I have the metal work ready so I can make an accurate as possible curve ;).

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Only got 2 hours in today, the natural alarm clock did nothing this time lol.

Left panel cut to rough shape.
    [​IMG]

Right panel cut to rough shape.
    [​IMG]

All 3 panels but the side panels only got filed to a rough form of what they need to be so I'll be filing to exact shape tomorrow as I got kicked out of the garage so my dad can get some excercise lol :D.
    [​IMG]

10. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

looks SWEET.

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow bro this mod is moving really fast but you wake up at 6?!?! I diagnose you with the pervert modding syndrome lol ;P Great job buddy I am watching you with a ton of curiosity!!!

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Not at all! :D

I just thought your shape was rather ambitious and unusual but seeing it come together its taking shape nicely :thumb:

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

looking good my old mate. Good idea mounting it all in the the jig. the pattern on the jig looks very familiar, can't quite pin down where I've seen it before..lol

14. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

read my post on page 14 i think :p

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb:.

:hehe: :D Getting the mobo, mem & cpu is driving me do get it done before dust starts building up on the new gear :lol: thanks Alex :thumb:.

Still got the curved acyrilc to do & if anything in this build that might be the toughest bit to get right it'll be that :worried: I'll do a test run with some scrap acrylic to make sure the new jig works as I hope it will ;) thanks DP :thumb:.

Was a nice & simple jig but it works well, thanks Jeff :thumb:.

:hehe:

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

lol was a bit on the slow side about that & realised what you meant about it :lol:, yeah the patterns are from the grill windows on air cube :D.

I'm off to see what I can get done today so another update in the evening whether it's plenty of progress or little progress ;).

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Already happy I got up early, filed both panels to fit perfectly, basically I only needed to get 1 of them spot on & then align it on top of the other & mark around it, then file away so they are both the exact same shape so now I'm going to go draw the simplish window design & maybe get them done today :), came over to the house so I could do the measuring & drawing in the warmth & thought why not post where it's at after a few hours :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

You just dont stop dont you? lol ;)
    Are these side panels going to be attached by using screws?
    Stupid question lol but I am asking cause I dont see any screw supporters and I am curious what your plans are! :) Mod on morning lad!! ;)

19. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Wow wow there Wayne!! It's comin together awesomely!!!

Sweet sweet sweet.

20. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I looked at the pics and am wondering the same thing. I also don't see any support for the side panels going up once they are above the bottom frame.