1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Maybe the service will be OK, but if they don't respond by next Tuesday you're probably in the same situation as me :wallbash:

2. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Been there with the anodising,think ive learnt from mistake now.

Anodiser said, he wasnt prepared to anodise some bits for me, unless i grained the alluminium and removed the steel inserts,

However he offered me an aluchrome(not sure on spelling) but to be honest it was very industrial looking and imo looked crap for a final finish.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

They didn't reply by email but the admin on the corsair forum said they don't reply but in his opinion they should, but anyway he said they don't reply but before you know it it'll arrive in the post so we'll see :hehe:.

But An awesome chap on another forum by the handle of UgotHeinzzd is prepping to sleeve his AX850 & he made a diagram of where the wires go :eeek: how lucky is that :D & he shared it with me wooooo :D:rock::clap: so yeah I can keep moving forward again, was starting to feel a bit down about 1 cable causing a pickle :hehe: :D.

Yeah shame about mixing metals being a huge nono with anodising :waah:, maybe I could remove the helicoils, not sure but the brass inserts would be a real hassle to remove as I had to whack them in psychotically with a hammer :lol: so I'd have to drill them out completely & once anodised I'd need to come up with a solution to some how make threads again, I do have a nut riveter which actually could do this & very well, but I'd need to make it so they fit flush to the panel & don't really have the means to do a precise counterbore, I do have a couple of mill bits which I tried using on my drill press lol but it's very difficult to make a precise counterbore with it, I should practice :thumb:, but I guess I could paint that 1 panel doing the candy paint method possibly & any of the bars with helicoils paint them a simple matt black as all the bars will either be unseen or barely visible anyway & none of the hdd cage platform & hdd cages are using helicoils, just normal tap threads so could easily be tapped for using helicoils for a good solid thread once anodised.

Oh well at least you've got me thinking of how I could stick to the plan on anodising which is definitely my preferred choice of finish, thanks for that Pablo :D:thumb:.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You've done too much great fabrication to do anythong more. I can't see it looking any better than it is now.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I hope to prove that incorrect :D, just hope I don't have problems with the windows & the curve piece, I still have a few big sheets of acrylic sat in my room waiting to be worked on & I'm honestly looking forward to getting back to the fabrication side :D:rock::thumb:, this sleeving side of modding takes a while for me just to get motivated to get on with it but once I get stuck in it comes along :lol:.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Try sleeving while listening to muse...

Worked for me.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Video didn't show up in post, just a blank white screen, but seen the link when quoting :lol: but I enjoy virtually all types of music as long as it isn't highly irritating :D like gabba, happy hardcore, or teeny bop :D oh & garage which I think irritates me the most especially when they try to come across as badasses :lol:, muse is ok but I keep my musical pallete very very broad & quite down to earth :thumb:.

No it's not motivation while doing the cables, it's pushing myself to go ahead & start that seems to take me forever :lol::hehe: once I grab the cables & start I don't stop until the particular cable is complete :D:thumb:.

I have no motivation probs at all when it comes to workshop stuff as I enjoy that part of modding :dremel::rock::thumb:.

I enjoy the end result of sleeving but sure don't get excited about the thought of doing it :lol:.

Was recomended to get a psu tester so I have, better to test it all properly than knacker my new components "if" something isn't correct :thumb:.

90% complete on the main atx cable now, just need to take out all the pins from the psu end of the cable & then plug all the new ones in place :thumb:.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

Nice one Wayne- a true modder!

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:blush::lol::D Thanks KidMod :thumb:.

An awesome chap on another forum made a diagram of where the wires go on this AX850 psu & shared it with me so saved me having to wait for corsair to help out which was a huge relief :) I've also ordered a psu tester to make sure it all works correct :thumb:.

Well I completely ran out of heat shrink after completing the main ATX cable d'oh so yeah to keep the sleeving of a consistant quality I had to make an order just for heat shrink :( but at least this time I will be able to dedicate a good chunk of the week to getting started on the windows :), I'd expect any future efforts for doing a sleeving job I'll only need to do the 1 order :D.

Here is the atx cable :), not as neat as an extender as wires cross all over the thing with it having 3 ends but I'll have no clutter around the psu now ;).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updates have been coming ultra slow since me starting the sleeving :duh::lol:.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

Very nice job on the shrink there- almost all of them are even!
    Well done, looks great.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks KidMod :) but yeah imperfect sleeving job :D, was the split wires that have iffy shrink but I'm happy with it considering how much of a pain it was to complete the 3 way atx cable & this being my first outing on a full sleeving job lol :).

12. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Really awesome sleeves!

Perfect job! :thumb:

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Marcos :thumb:.

:lol::hehe: You just had to didn't you :wallbash::D but it's not a patch on the irritating type of garage I had in mind, that was listenable & not offensive to my ears :thumb::hehe:.

I got back to the fabrication side of things since I can't do any more sleeving until I get the extra heatshrink :) & wow I really thought this would take a bit longer to do but I breezed through all the windows in a few hours & only a few of them needed a tiny bit of filing to fit in lol but it looks like the alu needs giving a nice finish again & the edges of the acrylic still need sanding so they are nice & smooth which should keep me busy for tomorrow :D.

Of course I'd love to rip the protective backing off to show it off good but I want to keep it all perfect for when the time is right :D.

So I thought about reducing the scuffs the jigsaw leaves by covering the base of it with masking tape, it worked :).
    [​IMG]

Here is the 1000mm x 500mm x 3mm light tint acrylic ready marked, was nice & simple to do, just plonked the side panels on & traced around the holes.
    [​IMG]

First panel done.
    [​IMG]

Both panels done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this rate if I go & buy a bunch of clamps this week some time I could do the acrylic curve this week also but I still need to add sata data pass through holes on the motherboard tray.

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Whaaaaah, :|

That looks cooooooowl :D!

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats a lot of jigsaw work there bud!! I was wondering though, why didnt you use a single piece of acrylic and just attached it behind the panel? And also one more question lolz :p How you are going to attach those pieces on the panel?
    Sorry I couldnt help hide my curiosity!!! :p
    Keep the updates flowing bro!!! :)

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks k.3nny :thumb: just wish I could pull the protective cover off it to show how it looks but it'll have to wait.

Thanks Alex :thumb:, yeah I could have gone with a normal 1 piece window that just hangs behind the panel but I wanted them all flush fitting to the panel, didn't even need to clamp it down while using the jigsaw just held it still on a nice big flat surface with the jigsaw on a slower speed, anyway how they will mount solid, I'll be using a sheet of clear 2mm acrylic on the other side thats bolted on the side panel & I need to test out if the ultra strong acrylic adhesive is possible to use without leaving the sign of the adhesive (ordered some glue syringes for this), if it does show clearly I'll bolt them instead to the clear acrylic, 1 bolt on both ends but I'll set up a test piece today to see if the adhesive is a good option, hoping it is ;).

18. KidMod-Southpaw

WOW, that looks great, you've got a nice pace going here at the moment now that you've taken a break from sleeving. Alex has some good questions too, it will look better with the single pieces, although I too am curious, how will you fabricate them?

Edit: Your replies came up before I posted. I've got some of that acrylic to acrylic bonding cement. 30 seconds of drying tome and it's bonded forever!

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks KidMod :thumb:.
    Yeah the clear acrylic adhesive I used for the fan holders is very very toxic but incredibly strong & clear & needs good ventilation else it would probably do me some serious harm lol so whenever using that stuff I put a desktop fan next to where I'm working so it blows it well away from me ;).

By the way everyone, how do you add custom headers for significant updates, pretty much everyone else does it but I haven't been :lol:.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

Do you mean like this: "Project RV3N- Cutting and Sleeving"
    With red being the part you want to change?