1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great design, and fabrication work Waynio! This is gonna be Epic when it's finished :thumb:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you so much Bill appreciated :thumb: & merry christmas to you & everyone else here :), probably be between christmas & new year before I get the jig materials.

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I had to catch up now, and I gotta say, nice work. I agree with Bill that it will be stunning when completed. Maybe another MOTY nominee. Congrats! :thumb:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Razer mate :thumb:, I won't get my hopes up for anything & then if anything good comes from it then it's a bonus, just made the optical mount but might need to relocate the drive mounting holes 3mm back.

Can't wait to get started on making the jigs :rock:.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you can improve on what you've already done, then why shouldn't it make MOTY again. Air cube was a good build, I loved it, this ones showing all the signs of being even better with all the fabrication going on..

So there's no pressure on you then...lol

6. infekted.one

infekted.one New Member

the detailed fabrication is in a class of its own! super work!!

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Jeff mate, arrrrgh the pressure :D.

Thank you infekted :blush::thumb:.

Woooo hoooooooo produced an update in the freezing cold :brrr: :D.

Had to re do the optical flat mounts as I did it so the optical were sticking out by 3mm by accident (I'm blaming the cold :D)

So got all the bottom storage bits done, :) hmmm maybe not, still need to shape the flat bar clamps.

I'll work on getting it all cleaned up & brushed nicely later, just focusing on getting the basic form first, that is definitely it until I get the jig materials & on the 3rd jan I'm painting the house so that might take a few days.

Anyway it feels good to have made a little more progress :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

there ya go! looks very solid. good work.

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

We want moaaaaaaaaaaaaar pls!!! ;) Blame the cold always too bro it will never say anything back lolz :) Amazing as always!

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good progress again!

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb:.

:hehe: steady progress feels like a distant memory, been itching to do more but still not been to the diy store, I keep asking if they will give me a lift but they too busy browsing the net or watching tv :wallbash::lol: & they want me to paint the house in a few days time arrrrrgh :lol:.

Thanks mate :thumb:.

For those that want MOAR Here's a picture to show the clearance between the fan holders & the optical, thats all for the time being.

[​IMG]

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I have those fans, but my haf 922 doesn't have fabrication like that.

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I don't know why , but for some reason I thought this project was going to quite big, similar to Air Cube, just taller.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:duh: Difficult comments make for difficult replies :lol: :D.
    A retail case wouldn't without a high price :), but I'm sure everything would be 100% spot on & very well made, if case manufacturers used thick aluminium most consumers would laugh hysterically at the cost :D which is part of the reason why I like making them myself, building a tool collection costs a little to a lot to a heck of a lot but once you have the basics you can build a nice case that is beyond high end for a mid range price & could be very cheap to do SFF cases, but another thing about scratch building it's giving me heaps of skills which can be applied to so many other things :).

My office chair busted, the chair arm that holds the back piece on snapped in half about a year ago, with my mod ability I bolted an aluminium flat bar to join it back up & it's still good & strong so saved me having to buy a new chair :).

I have a lot of free time but even busy people sit & watch tv or read books or play games or you get the picture, most people have at least 2 hours spare in a day in some form ;), but sometimes there are real limiting factors like nowhere decent to mod, like if I lived in a high rise flat I would have to change the material I use to something that wouldn't require noisy tools or go the expensive route & design all the parts on the pc & send the designs to fabricators but this for me would really void the nice & cheap factor in making my own.

It keeps me busy mentally & physically which is good :).

I like developing skills.

I like making cases as much as I like gaming maybe more so :D.

low end case usually between £10 & £60

mid range case £60 to £160

High end £160 to £300

Super deluxe £300 to £500 or maybe more but Level 10 @ £500 is the most expensive one I've seen at retail in the UK.

The materials for Stealthlow falls into the high end price, Air Cube fell into mid range & so did the stack unit.

It is, but not a wide load :D I'm going vertical with this :) 235mm wide 392mm deep 747mm high without case feet so probably about 770mm at the highest point with feet :thumb:, I might even make a stand for it too, I just like not having to put a pc on a desk & think it's good to have it stand on it's own but don't like putting a pc directly on the floor, suppose if I really wanted I could make the stand to be a radiator holder for some mad water cooling :naughty:, ok I'm getting way ahead of myself now so I'll shut up :lol:.

15. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

coming along super nice! working lots of alloy is a pain I know... ;)

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :thumb: I swear the disc sander really speeds things up with slimming down pieces to precise size, it's been a massive helper so far, just need to keep a bucket of cold water near by so I can cool the pieces down when they get scorching :D.

And I found out I'll be getting to the diy store on wednesday so if all goes well I'll be marking up the wood pieces for the jigs I need ready for cutting on thursday :thumb:.

17. NavidsonRecord

haha I used my 12" disk sander too, and a bucket of water lol

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn I need to stop by here more often man! this is looking awesome

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Don't forget the towel also to dry it off before putting it back to the sander ;).
    Just glad I wasn't wrong about getting the sander, still on the 1st sanding disc :), used to cut to rough size & have heaps of filing to do so just getting straight edges took a lot of effort before now.

:) Thanks Ed :thumb:, might have something else to show tomorrow, depends on if I get stuck in on the marking/cutting/drilling of the wood, can't help but wonder what stage this case would be at if I already had the jig materials.

20. NavidsonRecord

Yea I just shake dry it. Make sure you have hook loop pads! changing disk it a dream then. I have metal 100grit on mine and it works a treat!