1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Wow... :jawdrop:

That's a masterpiece!

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks fantastic buddy, I love the front grill, so cool.

3. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Now that is one sexy fan grill there wanio:thumb::thumb: personally i would go with just the second design it fits the case better, to me anyway:hehe:

The arcs seem to match the side windows as they reach up. Glad to see that the copper vent came out better this time too. keep up the excellant work buddy:rock:

4. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Lovely stuff as ever. The macro shots show the level of workmanship that's gone into building this masterpiece!

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wowwwwwwwwwwww the new design rocks buddy, way better than the previous one!
    I prefer the new design alone or with the copper mesh. It looks fantastic!! :)

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:) Thanks Angel mate :thumb: I felt crappy while sitting idle with that saw just sitting in it's box, I swear I heared it saying use me every time I walked past it :lol::hehe:.

Cheers Marcos :).

Cheers Jase :), but I'll keep with just the new grill & mesh, it would be 1.3mm too thick otherwise.

:) You noticed, although it wasn't completely intended, just something to match the case better so I guess it was subliminally intended :hehe: can't wait to get the new full strips finished off & installed though, it'll look different again :).

Cheers mate, yeah I have to pay even more attention to detail now :hehe: but that isn't such a bad thing :thumb:.

:D Cheers Alex :thumb: yeah the copper is too shiny so it takes away the look of the grill, I've something to try to sort that though :).

It's really nice not needing to sand the cut edges, they are quite smooth to touch even, just the face of the pieces that need sanding to take any rough stuff off.

Main problem with the tripple layer is it's just over 4mm thick :D so would complicate things unless I switched the 2.3mm copper mesh for a 1mm copper mesh but it would lack the depth which I like the look of, the shiny copper will be disapearing :D I'll brush it to tone it down a bit :D too shiny :lol:.

But yeah the new grill does keep in tune with the side panels, was just aiming for something that split 2 ways that works with the case a bit better & to have a little test for the new saw :), usually a grill like this would be bad for acoustics but this is something I learnt with my last case yes if you put a fan directly onto a panel with restrictive flow it makes it quite a bit louder but if you add a decent enough spacer it's just like a clear hole so this will be fine.

Anyway I'm off to add bevels to the strips now my bro is finished excercising in there :) should be a quick job with the disc sander, then I'll brush finish the strips, for mounting the strips I'll use 4 bolts, 1 at the bottom 1/3rd of the way, 2/3rds of the way & 1 at the top, this should keep them in place nicely, all the other internal tabs will be shortened & bolted in place to the main curve bars, decided to keep on avoiding adhesives when possible, I just don't have absolute faith in adhesive for structoral things especially this with it having forces going on :D although adhesives can be brilliant to hold stuff together while you drill, tap & use bolts, once this full clamp tab is done it should be plain sailing from there :D.

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to see how the strips turn out. The grill looks great. I like the new design better also.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:clap: I'm so glad you suggested them Gary mate, they turned out really awesome :D thank you :thumb:.

Wow, just had an epic session to make up for my bro hogging the garage :D so just carried on until 3:30 AM lol rather than running back & forth to the house I had a couple of beers :) & would have gone all night if I needed to to get these strips done :D.

I need to get an extra memory card for my kodak or an alternative lens that can take pics at a closer range, the kodak has enough room for 6 or 7 pictures with it's internal memory.

Anyway, the good stuff :D I straightened the strips & marked all the edges so I know they get a perfect bevel.
    [​IMG]

Gave them all a bevel.
    [​IMG]

Then took all the rough stuff off with a file as it was quicker & then gave a good sanding with 240 grit & then brushed them & also brushed the front panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I just used clamps to hold the strips in place while I drilled the mounting holes, just 1 at the top & 1 at the bottom & tapped the alu curve bar & added helicoils.
    [​IMG]

Before I called it a day I decided to add the extra holes on the copper front panel mesh so there were no blank spots behind the grill but on my last hole the drill whacked the panel right out of shape & it was double clamped tightly so not sure why this happened, but it was still hot from all the drilling & countersinking so I whacked away with a mallet against the flat piece on the vice, got it to a straightened out form but man it was way out of shape, thought I'd definitely need to redo it :eeek:.
    [​IMG]

By the way thank you voigts for suggesting full length tab strips, they are awesome & thanks to everyone else for keep on reminding me they were the way to go :D.

Need 4 hands for installing the copper curved vents so left them out for this shoot & the strip tabs still need trimming down on both ends & the internal tabs need shortening a bit but that is a tiny task compared to what I just done :).

And wow I forgot to name the pictures lol.

Now onto the good shots or as good as can be when it's the middle of the night :).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm the front panel caught a few scratches which I'll sort out & the strips will need re brushing because of the clamps.

9. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Wow that is looking almost complete Wanio:thumb: I love the overall finish (so far) and the look:D

Personally I like the internal tabs as they are they fit with the overall design so far ;) Im imagining your knackered :yawn: after such a long session in the garage too

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I woke up, I came here, I saw this, my jaw hurts. You my friend, you rock!! I like how you work your way into perfection, this is madness, this is Wayne's worklog!!!!!!!!!! :)

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I agree, the copper and the alu go very well together, nice set of colours! Keep up the good work.

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

It looks like a damn expensive suit! :lol:

Very nice m8! :thumb:
    There is certainly no jumping over the fence on the details part! Just amazing! :rock:

13. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

YES!

I'm SO glad that we all suggested something like this, because it simply looks much, much better than the single tabs. Also, your work is FLAWLESS. It really looks like it was factory-made - or perhaps even better than that. Thumbs up and have some rep - you've truely come a long, long way with this build so far. Learned a lot, right? And, so did we from keeping an ever-watchful eye on this worklog. ;)

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Those strips down the front look so pro :D.

15. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Now this is something I call pr0n. :thumb:

16. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

You did a phenomenal job with those strips. The two-tone looks fantastic. I showed my daughter the pics and she too was oooing and ahhhing. The front grill with the copper behind it and the strips absolutely rock. It makes for such clean lines along the front, and accentuates that nice front plexi piece and the overall curvature of the case. Well done Wayne.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Shael :thumb: & yeah I was so knackered out I forgot to name & number the shots :lol: & just woke up at 8:30 PM so what to do with being re-energized at the wrong time of day :hehe: Mo modding :D:rock:.

:blush: Thank you Alex :thumb: the new camera has made me need to improve a bit with it absorbing all the detail & even more than the eye can see :D.

Cheers KidMod :).

:lol: Cheers Angel :thumb:.

Eh, voigts planted the idea & some wouldn't let it go :D so it kept the cogs turning & woo hoo now it's done & looks much better :D it's nice how it keeps the window down just with 2 bolts on each side, it's a possibility I might re-make the window vents or leave them empty even ;).
    Cheers Nutman :thumb:.

:D Thanks Jase :).

:D Cheers IcyAero :).

[​IMG]:D Thank you Gary for suggesting this mate, was indeed an awesome idea & goes with the design soooooo much better :D, I like the way the bevels make it blend better too, it's a bit more fiddly to install than the tabs & thats without putting the vent meshes in (2 person job for that now) but definitely happy with this :thumb: I think I'd be best to handle the strips with nice clean gloves to avoid marking them when installing.

So up next is to trim the excess lengths off, maybe make a start on the fan mounts, maybe do the polished stainless steel floor for the 2nd level, anyway should have a little more progress made tonight since I'm full of beans & the scroll saw is near silent :D.

18. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Sweet strips Waynio :thumb:, could be cool to add some sort of lighting to that strip.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah I found out I was audible last night so I'll give it a miss until later when it's more acceptable, with that in mind I am going to make the garage more sound proofed :D so I'm not restricted to when I can create :rock: so my next couple of mods are a new scroll saw table & sound proofing the garage :D I just feel more energized & up for a good modding session late in the day but don't want to be a PITA for neighbors :).

Thanks Graham :), yeah some lighting could look good behind the strips but still a bit unsure about additional lighting, theres a few bright lights on the motherboard but that can be turned off in bios, about the strips, I never thought on about making a fence to make it easier :duh: I'll be sure to do so in the future ;).

20. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

So was the sound problem due to the beans or the scrollsaw? :D