1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project SUITCASE NUKE

Discussion in 'Modding' started by praefect, 15 Jun 2004.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

get a 10 digit keypad for the on/off switch. (i mean something like a touch tone phone) for security purposes... and it would look bitchin

:idea: if you can wire it, have a siren and a computer generated voice say "ARMED" when you put the correct code in :naughty:

wear a scarf or hat or something else to cover your face if you go on a plane... and a bullet proof vest :worried:

2. praefect

praefect New Member

Monster: Thanks so much for the keypad idea :idea: , for some reason I never thought about it!!! I thought about the computer voice though, I did some research and you can modify those hallmark "voice greeting cards" that let you record something like 10 seconds of voice and play it back when the guy opens the card I guess (they cost like 10$)... Let me tell you man, the first thing in my mind was a female computerized voice saying "ARMED"... ohhh yeah.. not sure it's gonna be in the final product though..

but the keypad... yeah, an old DTMF keypad would do the trick, and it's easily mountable on a plate... :thumb:

now working on:
    * fixing mobo support plate inside case without piercing the case (almost solved)
    * having BIG RED 7-SEGMENT display for temperature - must look like a timer (still looking)

3. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero New Member

Another thing to add to the security thing besides the keypad is that you usually see two keys on each side that have to be turned at the same time. While they don't have to be functional or synchrinized if you implement them they would look that much more bad arse. Now the hard part is trying to get this through customs or even try to get through security at an airport. I think you would be held up for about a week getting questioned. :hehe:

4. macroman

macroman The One

Moved to Modding from Project logs.

Nice concept mod but the pics are somewhat large. 600 pix wide should be ample. :thumb:

5. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz New Member

Cooling Idea

I think you should look at a complete water cooling solution with a passive radiator.

Maybe you could incorporate the resivoir into the theme of the case somehow. With no real airflow could cause heat issues.

But awesome project, looks like it will be a really good one.

6. praefect

praefect New Member

I thought a bit about water cooling but since this project is "portable" I'm not too confident about having a water reservoir in there (since there's no hole in the case you can be sure that everything breaks once water start spilling).

About the heat problem, I plan to have a hole on the main plate (just behind the canister, right on top of the CPU) there's gonna be a fan there obvisouly on top of the heatsink, I'm pretty sure this is enough for the CPU (prolly athlon 64 3800+). The problem of the graphics card (covered by the canister) could be a real one, especially with the nvidia 6800 ultra (I may have to go for a radeon X800 especially since the 6800 doesn't seem to be available in the next month or so..)

anyway, I'm receiving hardware as I write this and I'm going to update the thread soon with real pictures of what's done and what is to come.. I changed the design a bit using ideas and comments from this thread so thank you all..

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

oooh... I like it! Suitcase PC with a twist and then some. I agree, the bottle thing does add in that extra... not sure what but sure makes it more interesting

don't bring it to an airport :duh:

8. Cabe

Cabe New Member

9. I'm_Not_A_Monster

how about a little plasma ball instead of a bottle, so cool!

10. stoned penguin

stoned penguin New Member

ehe think twice before you bring that down to the states, you'll find every government agency on you in no time :hehe:'

but very nice, i really like it
    awaiting the completion! :rock:

and what about putting in a built in LCD panel moniter with some metallic cover door thing over it that folds out of site once you put in the right code or whatever

11. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 New Member

I'd shoot for a small graphic LCD from say, a PSOne and display just MBM statistics on it. Or a small Matrix Orbital red text LCD. That would be badass.

12. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll New Member

for the graphics card you might go for the case ducting & exhaust ala Zapwizard and stick a blower in there to get rid of air. (they're quiet, move decent air, and the hole in the case is pretty minimal. check out Zap's ammo case if you don't know what i'm referring to.

13. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz New Member

The only problem with making a hole in the pelican case is that it is water and presure resistant. So drilling a hole will not allow this to happen.

14. coil

coil New Member

If the graphics card is directly under the canister, why not mount a fan at the right end of the canister? Put a little trough in the "face" of the case so that the fan is fully exposed, and it should be able to move a decent amount of air. With an appropriate grating, it'll look fine (perhaps a hemispherical "grating" matching the canister to stealth it).

If that's too confusing a description, I can throw together a quick sketch of it for you.

15. lunix_user

lunix_user New Member

if you dont want your parts to die, your gonna have to do exotic cooling
    I suggest, maybe a compressor?

like in refridgerators?
    they have them, but they are like 600-1200 dollars.

16. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i'd go into the classifieds and look for a small refridgerator (one of them under-the-counter deals) , my newspaper has a freebies section, check yours. :thumb: g'luck!

17. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz New Member

I don't know how he will be able to fit a compressor into the case with all the other components. :wallbash:

:idea: praefect, my suggestion is that you make a fan ducting system and have two fans that can access air when the lid is open and one sucks in air and the other exhausts it. You will need to have a closed system in which air flows only over the necessary components. Not sure on how you will do this, just a sugestion. :thumb:

Good luck solving these problems. :cooldude:

18. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero New Member

just get a sheet of 1/8 acrylic and use that for the duct. You can get a sheet of it at lowes for like 9 bucks or your local major hardware in your area. Another alternative for material for the duct would be the clear plastic from cd cases.

19. ubernewber

ubernewber New Member

just wanted to say you did a amazing job with the visualizations, and as its been said before please post the results of crossing the border or going to the airport (thats if they have the internet in guantanamo bay)

20. darkhunter

darkhunter New Member

i like those cases i use them to store my guns
    if ur gonna have hoses or pipes running around wrap the in green el wire to look radio active