1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Temporary Girlfriend v2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by raxxo, 2 Feb 2005.

1. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

Project Temporary Girlfriend v2.0 [Updated 2005-02-03]

Hello again... I hav'nt been to active on this board lately, but I hope this will make up for lost time ;)

This project is basically only a uppgrade to my previous Project thread, namely "Project Temporary Girlfriend" ( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44818 )...

The upgrades arent much, but considering that the previous cpu was a AMD K6-2 300 wich pretty much is'nt useable for much more than seeing how loud the bang it makes when you throw it down a mountain, the new cpu is a P2 400 with at least 256mb of memory instead of 128mb and a DVD-reader it will become a pretty decent bedroom DVD-player/wordprocessor...

I want to begin by excusing for the poor quality of the pictures, they're taken with my cellphone (Sony Ericsson K500i) since my brother is holding the digicam hostage...

but first things first... this is what we have to work with...

[​IMG]
    the previous version in all it's glory :sigh:

[​IMG]
    what's under the hood...

---------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    this is what's going inside instead of the old **** (sry OLDER ****) ;)

[​IMG]
    the hood of the computer, yes its a crappy IBM computer...

[​IMG]
    the PSU, a pretty nice little psu...

[​IMG]
    Sizecomparison, the new psu to the right the old (std-sized) psu and the P2cpu in the middle...

The drawer is going to look even crappier after the upgrade since the new motherboard is a std atx-sized one, and the old one is som f***ed up compaq-sized ****... i might just leave it as it happens, but I think I'll do something about it IF I can find something around here to patch it up with...

its a VERY good thing the psu is as small as it is since its going to be REALLY cramped up in there...

that's all for now, but I´ll be back in a day or so with more crappy pics...

Last edited: 2 Feb 2005
  2. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

Old computers still have TONS of uses...

1) Old games. Just depends on how old the computer is, but I remember playng q-bert and moon-patrol on my 8088. :)

2) Anything over about 100mhz makes a nice Smoothwall Firewall / Router. Or even a small Linux File Server

3) Anything over about 400mhz makes for a nice MAME cabinet computer

4) There are about 600000000000 billion electronic project you can do with computer interfacing, and custom electronics and such.

5) Case mod practice.

Old computers are useful. :)

3. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

that's very true, but all this computer is used for is a surf/word/gaming-computer for my GF, the only problem is Sims 2 probably wount run very smooth on it :waah:

it's also going to be used for playing DVD's, XviD, DivX, VCD and so on on the neat 15" LCD-Screen in our bedroom...

4. KodiakStar

KodiakStar What's a Dremel?

Another thing old computers are good for....

Folding@Home!

hmm.

---------Go [H]ard or Go [H]ome---------

^_^

Last edited: 2 Feb 2005
  5. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

GAH! this computer is driving me CRAAAAAZYYYYY!!!

Just finished putting it together, really ghettomodstyle though... even had to resort to cardboard for holding the psu... :eeek:

pics will be coming up later...

6. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

I'm going to try to reformat the harddrive in the computer to se if it solves the problem, windows doesnt really like shifting of hardware :p

7. KodiakStar

KodiakStar What's a Dremel?

What OS are you using?
    what problems are you having?

are you taking your old HDD and adding it to a new MB/CPU etc?

8. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

Win XP SP2, and no theres actually no harddriveswap yet, tried running it on the harddrive that came with the new computer wich i tested before dissassembly... worked like a charm...

now, all i get is the IBMlogo, if I press some keyes (F1 - F12, Delete and Esc) I sometimes get a screen that says...

but by then the computer has frozen...

the new pics will be put up in a couple of minutes

9. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

As promised...

[​IMG]
    As you can see the old K6-2 mobo is really small in comparisson to the new standard ATX mobo...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was a dremels heaven with about 30 VERY thick poprivets to be drilled out...

[​IMG]
    This chassie is by far the worse assemled case I've EVER seen... first they put the insideparts together, then they put the frame around the inside... and EVERYTHING is popriveted together.. the only way to get the mobotray out is to dismantle the whole case except the frame... and even with only the frame and mobotray left I had to force it out wich resulted in a "wobbly" tray... but i sorted the wobbly tray out by screwing it to the bottom of the drawer...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as you can see there isn't much room for the PSU :grr:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I constructed a "tray" for the PSU to lie ontop of the CPU and ontop of the I/O plate at the back... this will have to be solved in the near future, any VERY CHEAP suggestions are VERY welcome...
    You can also see that the backside of the drawer is prettey screwed up, this will probably be solved at the same time as the PSU, hopefully with no extra cost since this computer is strictly ULTRA-LOW-BUDGET, namely I haven't bought anything in either this project or the last version of Project Temporary Girlfriend...

[​IMG]
    This is how it came out in the end... It's DEFINITIVELY not pretty but hopefully functional when I get it up and running...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tools of the trade, notice my protective goggles :naughty:

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to try the computer without the PSU in the drawer tomorrow since i just remembered that when I had my old P2-266 that the computer reseted when I just touched the CPU when it was up and running... anyone heard of that before?

I'll be back tomorrow with testresults and a picture or two of the neat LCD-TV I'm using for this computer...

10. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Yeah you gotta be carful with those P2 slots... there very touchy i should know i have one!

11. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

LOL. LOVE the googles. :)

12. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Why not put the psu in the front section and run a wire to the back?

13. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

cant put it there.. it wount fit underneath the tray with the DVD, HDD and Floppy :( alredy tried that...