1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: The Answer (Full 4 player MAME cabinet) UPDATED 8/28/06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Abom, 29 Sep 2005.

1. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Hey Comp1demon,

Thanks for the compliments. As for your questions the TV is a JVC AV-27530 27" Stereo TV Black. I got it off amazon.com for like 200 bucks. I highly reccomend it. The reason I went with it is that many people have used this specific TV for thier cabinet and love it. It has every connection in the world, svideo, component ect. As for how to hook it up there are two schools on that one, one says svideo from the tv out on a video card, other says component is better. I tried both, component is much better, harder but better.

You need to buy an ATI video card with Dvi-i out and buy an DVI-I To 3 RCA Component Video Adapter (expensive through ATI, got one on ebay for 20 bucks) Then connect it to the TV using RCA cables and after alot of adjustment its a perfect picture.

I would have bought the slikstik quad assembled myself but for 2 reasons. They did not have and would not get/buy the translucent buttons/trackball and they would not flush mount the trackball plate which means no control panel overlay. 2 things I decided I could not live without. But that wiring was a nightmare, seriously.

As for pictures of the mounting of the speakers I dont really have any but let me try and explain better. I cut 2 holes in the speaker board that just let the speakers slide through face first. I then placed that board on a bench and put the speakers on the holes I cut speaker facing down (basicly the way you would logicly need the speakers to look. I then took L channel aluminium (bought at home depot for very cheap) and cut a few 4" pieces (four to be exact) Then using short screws mounted one on the left and right of each speaker forming a mounting bracket. When I screwed the other side of the bracket to the board it mounted them semi flush, if not a tad recessed. I then took speaker cloth and covered the entire board (looks awesome)

As for the guns, I havent been able to get them to work to my liking yet. I know they do work as I see hundreds of posts with people enjoying them but just havent had time to fiddle with them because I did the one thing your not supposed to do, play games before the cabinet is 100% done. Dont even test the thing once! The urge is strong but you must resist if you ever want to finish it lol.

Any more questions just ask or you can grab me on MSN on the email address you have of mine.

2. comp1demon

comp1demon What's a Dremel?

Some Mame Help with my cabinet

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I totally appreciate it.

If you wouldn't mind sharing what you did and what setting you have set in your ATI card for that JVC 27" (and any options set on the TV as well). That would be helpful.

I ordered one of those TV's from Amazon. Got a good price and it is brand new. I have that ATI adapter allready as I used to use it for a media center PC but my TV has DVI NOW, so it just sitting around. So im pretty much ready to go one the TV arrives.

You should also update your thread with detailed PICS and pictures of the Games running on it. Would be nice to see some shots of it in action. MIne will not be as cool as your but I sure I will still love mine the same. Though I appreciate the Advice on the TV and speakers.

You plan on or have a coin door?

I will continue to use your worklog and advice in helping me along with mine.

Hey question, now that your cabinet is basicly done, how often you use it? How do friends and guest react to it? Wife/Girl Friend/Life partner - How do they feel about it? Did you get S**T about building it? Does that person play with you? DO you have beer/Coffee parties with friends and just Classic game all night? IS it a good conversation piece? Just curious on how life around the cabinet is.

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

We should separate Windows display from MAME (MAMEWah and Games) display... because they are different. Here is what I currently have going on with my setup...

I am using the ATI adapter in 480i mode. Personally I have no idea what these modes mean, but this one is the only one that works for me. I have Windows running at 1024x768. I have MAMEWah and MAME running at 640x480.

What it looks like...

1) Windows at 1024x768 - Severe overscan and flickering, but I don't care! I'm not using Windows on my cabinet for anything other than launching MAME or other games, and shutting down. Therefore, overscan in windows is fine with me. I have a wireless LAN card in my cabinet so if I need to actually do Windows maintenance I use Ultr@VNC to remotely administer from another PC... hence the 1024x768 resolution choice.

2) MAMEWah at 640x480 - Looks and works fine.

3) Windows games (Star Monkey & Ultra Assault) - Look beautiful and work great.

4) MAME - Works fine. No overscan at all due to TV service menu tweaking.
    Some notes:

1) I had to use the JVC service menu in order to reduce the vertical width of the image in order to avoid slight overscan in MAME and MAMEWah. This was easy to do and works perfectly.
    To access the service menu... on your remote...

a) Press "Sleep" button.
    b) Press "Video Status" and "Display" buttons together. This enters service menu.
    c) Locate "V-Size" setting and change it from "43" to "33-31". Perfect. No overscan.

As for updating the thread, I really got very little to no response except for you so I didnt really bother. As for the coin door, what a hassle, I ordered it in september from happ and its still on backorder, but yes I plan on having one. It will follow the cabinet theme with two red coin returns and two blue.

As for using it, to be honest I dont use it much lately but for no reason other than I bought a xbox 360 and its been consuming some time lately :) As for wife ect, I'm single so no issues there but wow do girls love it, its an awesome conversation starter and an instant reason to get close (no its these buttons, let me show you...) And mine is in a very obvious spot in the kitchen where a breakfast nook should be so you see it as you walk in the place.

Now for my regrets, shouldnt have made it a 4 player control panel. Its so rare that you get 4 people over at the same time that want to play the same game (choices are limited anyway). I also would have gone with different casters, the ones I have are super super heavy duty and could probably move a buick but because each one is a tripod of wheels its not that manuverable.

Any questions at all just yell, Ive got it down pretty good at this point :)

4. comp1demon

comp1demon What's a Dremel?

Hey ABOM. I wanted to say Hi again and to pick your Brain a little bit. I've been using your thread as helping me out on my project. (It's coming alonm well - slikstick takes forever though) You have given me alot of advice so far and it has been great.

I wanted to pick your Brain about a few things.

I am using the TV you are using and it is great (JVC). I found the service menu but it don't seem to help me out really. The overscan is not vertical it is horozontal. THe top and bottom of the screen are fine and I did find the V-SIZE and change it from 43 to 33-31 and it really didn't make any difference as the top and bottom have no overscan it just shrunk the screen more so i set it back to 42-43 which seemed fine.

I am using a ATI card with the Component adapter. It is set to 480i and I have the resolution of the PC at 800x600 (lowest it will go for me in video settings). That is fine but the right and left sides of the screen are overscanned by about 2% on each side. I tried messing with the TV settings but I cannot find a setting to shrink my screen a few milimeters on the right and left side.... If I could WIndows would be perfect. Any suggestions?

Mame I have running at 640x432 and seems to be fine, though im sure if I could find a way to underscan the screen on the right and left sides just 1mm or so it would be SO PERFECT, though I don't have any overscan that I can see in mame, but i haven't loaded up alot yet.

Next up is the GUN solution. The guns you bought are custom solutions as you said. I bought one becuase I too love the real looking gun thing and not candy or sci fi guns that are avalable. I am having a hard time with a few things. The Black resistor you show for use in the diagram? I cannot read what model number it is so i can go grab one at radio shack. can you tell me what it is? Thanks

Second I see the Gun is PS1/2 complient with a Playstation controller connector which is what you show in your diagram for wiring the MOLEX power to. I am assuming that connector I am only using the (3) ports of the controller port to power the blowback and the laser? I dont have to plug that whole controller port into a PS2/usb adapter since the gun also has a USB port on it?

I Just take the GUNS USB cord and plug it into the PC then I just use the Controller port to plug into the custom resistor wiring harnass i created into the PC Molex for power for the blowback and laser right?

I dont have to ALSO plug in the ps2 controller port into a PS2 to USB adapter and plug that into he PC too right? I didn't think so but i just wanted to make sure - as the power flowing through the controller cord would probibly fry the PC if I plugged it into a PS2 to USB adapter then plugged it into the USB PORT ON THE PC.

Second the the Reload pedal it comes with. Can I use that too? or just the Gun?

Thanks,
    CHris

5. mikejkelley

mikejkelley What's a Dremel?

How well does that gun work for you? Does it work with any of the old arcade games such as Time Crisis? Will it work with an LCD display? Looking into buying one for my project. Thnx.

6. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Sorry Ive been away for so long...

Gun works about 85% as good as what you find in the arcade. It works with all the old arcade games. And no, no guns work with the LCD screen.

good luck.

7. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

The MAME cabinet is going to really set this mod off from the rest.... its going to looks fine....
    I'm subscribed and waiting for some pictures of the mod...

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Cant wait to see pictures of this one, waits

9. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Ill post a few pics of the current state of the machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont have a picture of it but I found a 4 player coin door and actually switched out the amber plungers for 2 red and 2 blue. Ill post some pictures tomorrow.

The middle picture is before I had the tinted glass cut and installed. It is just held there by gravity.

10. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

OMGOMG

NEED ONE OF THOSE GUNS!

How much was it, also what UK retailer did you buy it from? Also, what software does it require, and does it work in modern games or only arcade?

11. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

I think I paid 60usd each for them. As for the retailer I'm not sure I picked them up off ebay 6 months ago. It only works for mame games (or ps1) as for the software its a custom driver made by a guy on arcadecontrols.com.

12. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

take some aluminum flat bar and bend up some holsters for the guns and mount them on the side of the case. paint em black to match. i really like this setup. i had those same speakers for a while, but they kept burning out on me. the amp kept kicking out. one channel or both would go out permanently. so after 3 sets of replacements (i admit, they do sound really good) i went with some creatives, then i upgraded to a full home stereo setup.

you need to put some red and blue lights behind the case for backlighting, red on the left and blue on the right, would give a neat effect.

13. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Umm no pictures are showing up.

14. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

15. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I have plans for all of the above but, time is my enemy. Ive increased my duties at work to the tune of 70 hours a week and have new baby (69 camaro) that is taking up all my free time at the moment.

I was going to cut two pieces of alu and bolt it together with alu spacers and place that under the control panel. I also have more graffix for the side (top and bottom) of the case as well as around the coin door. As for the backlighting I actually was going to put cathode tubes underneath sort of like the import guys do with thier cars (red and blue)

All planned but time damnit.

As for pictures Ill check with my host they must be down /shrug. Its uploadit.org and I cant open thier web site so they must be having technical problems.

16. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

wow!!! this is AWESOME loving this, you've almost inspired me to do this as well! i can't say anything constructive...cause its just a great job you've done. Can't wait for the final detail shots ^^

17. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

WOW! That is some awesome work you laid down here for us.. I can imagine the soldering was a giant pain in the a$$.. And one more thing, thats the biggest handgun I've ever seen!! Love it :p Good job :thumb:

18. mikejkelley

mikejkelley What's a Dremel?

AWESOME. All the glow gudness puts it over the top. I agree with simonc. Put the lights on the back of the cabinet. Will look cool reflecting off the wall.

19. Nurgletown

Nurgletown What's a Dremel?

Could you post another link to the lightgun drivers? The page doesn't seems to be down.

20. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

I would like lights underneath but I have had quite a few comments on lights behind it. There is open vents maybe 120mm led fans in red/blue?? hmm.

As for the gun drivers, no thats the only link I have for them. If you really need it PM me and Ill email you a copy.