1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: The Answer (Full 4 player MAME cabinet) UPDATED 8/28/06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Abom, 29 Sep 2005.

1. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

OK, a decent sized update here. I have the software working and have added about 1700 of my favorite games to it and my entire MP3 collection.

I also finished the drawer, I don't really like it because in order to use a piano hinge I had to drill out spots of the melamine. I will try and find a better solution but it will only be seen in times of maintenance as the trackball and the buttons to the left and right of it work as a mouse.

I also installed the 4 player coin door, I replaced the amber plastic returns with red and blue accordingly. I still need to figure out a way to light them up. LED is my first idea but I didn't like the way it lit them up so I will try a normal bulb later on. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to make the coin door functional.

First two pictures with the keyboard/mouse drawer open and shut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the new coin door, its awesome. I also replaced the cheap 25 cent inserts with $500 ones, gotta pay to play :)
    [​IMG]
    I didnt take a picture but the door locks, If I open it the computer is behind it with the USB, DVD, disk drives. Locking it makes it a bit tamper proof.

2. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Like I said I have the software up so here are some screen shots. I really like the setup.

Basicly you have a list that you can jump through by genere, alfabetical or time of release. Then you have a screenshot of the game title and game action to remind you of the game. Very handy with this volume. Next up there will be actual video clips of the game in action but thats for another update.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You start the game you want by hitting the player 1 key

[​IMG]

Played a quick game for the camera
    [​IMG]

Left to do:

Sort out some of the buttons- cant quite get every button to do what I want
    Fix one buttons LED- must have shorted or dissconnected
    Make 2 holsters for guns- Thinking 2 sheets of plexi or aluminum with alu spacers
    Get side and bezel art work printed and apply it
    Light up coin doors
    Underlight or backlight the Machine.
    Close the back up
    Have the diamond plate I have already cut powdercoated as a kickplate
    Finish tweaking software to play my laserdisk games (Space Ace ect)
    Finish tweaking software to play jukebox with just the bezel controls.

Bleh, almost a year into it and still not done ;)

Just so you guys can understand the delay (and so I can show off my babies) this is what the big delay has been about. I'm getting into autocross racing with the corvette and the camaro is getting restored as we speak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ThaDheiz_NL

ThaDheiz_NL What's a Dremel?

That's the hell of a good excuse :) Those cars are as beautifull as your MAME-cabinet :) Truly a work of art

4. GT40_GearHead

GT40_GearHead What's a Dremel?

that RS is great :hip: , the pait, the rims, the crome on the front.... they are gorgeous
    what did you do to it (under the hood)

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I love that car... If i had enough money for fuel I would buy one...

I'd also need a garage... therefore a house... hmm, i could see owning one of these being a bit expensive...

Looks freaking gorgeous though!

Nice mod too btw.. :p

6. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

Nice cars..... anyway, Great update! What software are you using as a frontend and for th jukebox?

7. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

using this at the moment http://www.jukeboxpro.com/ but I'm not that happy with it and am looking for an alternative. There are a few that mesh with mamewah well and Ill look into those when all the hardware stuff is done and I can focus on the software aspect.

I tell you what tho, I've been playing some mp3's on this sucker and those speakers thump!

If you can finish that CNC machine I would have some work for you! :)

Last edited: 15 Aug 2006
  8. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Well, I received the 4 pieces of side art today with the bezel art supposedly being shipped out on Monday. I installed 3 out of the 4 pieces today and thought I'd give you a preview of what they look like

Left side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also found a new keyboard that lights up blue, I thought it would match the theme well and it will allow me to see the keyboard at night (actually a problem because I have to use some weird key combos for some of the config menu's)

[​IMG]

I also purchased the stuff to make the gun holsters so that is next on the list with wiring up the coin door lights. Also at the recommendation of the very few people watching this thread I will light up the back of the cabinet in corresponding red/blue to match the theme.

9. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

fckin kewl ^^

but how u connecter those sticks and buttons?

10. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

that cabinet is truely a work of art, I am surprised to not see more bit-tech'ers following this, but it is looking very sweet, from start to almost finish it has been a pleasure to read this thread.

11. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

can someone please make this a frontpage story? I'm absolutely amazed by the work on this thing, and really like to read a nice story, more about the background, more about the actual work, some high-res images possibly, when it's finished?

Looking very well, that cabinet, good luck on the last bits and pieces on this mod

12. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

You basicly hack a keyboard and have the keystrokes translated into whatever combo you want, for example on mine player ones joystick is q (up) w(down) a(left) and s(right). Its really simple. Same with the trackball and guns, they are translated into mouse movements.

13. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

ok, I finished the right side. I tell you what these things are a pain in the ass to install, just way to large. I wouldn't do this again without a second person to help.

Either way here are the pictures of the finished right side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also figured out how I want to do the holsters. I mocked up a holster out of cardboard. I will cut out 2 pieces per holster out of plexi and attach them to some right angle aluminum I bought. Ill drill holes and connect them with nuts/bolts and use copper tubing I have as a spacer to keep it all equal lengths. Ill then paint it black and use left over vinyl from the side artwork to dress it up. Here are the mock up pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finished the coin door lights and the keyboard, they look really good and I like it a lot. The coin doors really light up the bottom, the activity there give it an authentic feel.
    [​IMG]

Left to do:

Sort out some of the buttons- cant quite get every button to do what I want
    Fix one buttons LED- must have shorted or dissconnected
    Finish making 2 holsters for guns
    Get bezel art work applied
    Underlight or backlight the Machine.
    Close the back up
    Finish tweaking software to play my laserdisk games (Space Ace ect)
    Finish tweaking software to play jukebox with just the bezel controls.
    Maybe modify my mouse to glow to match the keyboard.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited: 28 Aug 2006
  14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Looking really sweet that.

The front door of the keyboard door needs something done with the edges for when it's in the open position. While t-moulding might be too thick, black laminate/vinyl wouldn't be. Or if that's too much, you could just paint the edges black.

15. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I already posted eariler that it was a temporary solution. Ill also be powdercoating the frame slides for that drawer and the hinge. Not to mention its a service panel and will only be seen when something goes wrong.

16. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

u need to do 2 things, 1) make me one XD and 2) make a video of it in action! btw do the coin doors work? like could u put coins in there and it work? that'd be kinda cool, and a way to bum change out of ur friends.

17. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

They arent hooked up at the moment, all it would take is for me to connect the wires and make some kind of receptical to grab the coins but I doubt I'd hook it up.

18. Agent$mith

Agent$mith What's a Dremel?

Can I ask how you are connecting your two light guns to the TV and on that point does anyone know of how to get Lightguns to work on TFT monitors Fantastic Project btw :D

19. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

Well you plug it inline with the adapter from the videocard to the TV, then plug it into a usb port for power and then either a ps1 or wire it up for the 9v using the diagram I had for the secondary power (recoil, laser sight).

As for the TFT, there are some really good solutions but all of them require you to set a bar of ultraviolet leds across the top and side of the monitor. Nice thing about these is you can actually use anything, projection screen, plasma, lcd ect.

20. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

The cabinet is gorgeous, you've made really nice choices with the controls and the cabinet art. You wiring job was impressive, seems like not many put as much time into it as you. I did have a question for you, where did you pick up the translucent buttons?