1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: the "Secret of the Ooze" (Finished!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gvblake22, 7 Mar 2006.

1. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

Is that a dell mobo?

2. phenix

phenix What's a Dremel?

hey man ur doing exactly what i want to do. but i want to actually use aluminum in the side for the box structure.

what u have now ... is that sturdy? strong? durable?

how do the cubes work? are they strong?

alright man do your thing :clap:

3. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

HAHA, yes it is. It is out of a friend's Dimension desktop (socket 478). Good eye!
    The PSU is actually out of a Dell too (has a Dell sticker on it), but this time I got it from my mom's old PII that she ditched a while back. The HDD's are both out of old, junk machines too, gotta love spare parts! :D

4. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

HAHA, thanks! :)
    The way the case is now (with just the coner cubes and the motherboard tray and all the side panels) it is suprisingly sturdy. If I had used anything less than 3/16" thick acrylic though, it might not be quite as strong. The case will continue to be strengthened once I get the motherboard, PSU, and drives mounted. But as far as actual strength, it is definately enough to do it's job. But if you plan on kicking your computer/case down the stairs or something, that might be a different story :p :hehe:
    But yeah, long story short, it is plenty sturdy, even the motherboard tray with only those four corners secured.
    And any weaknesses are found in the joints with the corner cubes, not the material its self. The acrylic is suprisingly rigid. But the problem I am noticing is that the quality control on those corner cubes is pretty poor. The tolerances are just too loose and each cube varies slightly from one to the next in terms of the hole placement. So unless you are very good at making sure that all your cuts and drilled holes are extremely accurate, be ready for some swearing and forcing of screws. If you are looking for a better way to secure some side panels, I would say your best bet (although it might not look the best) would be to use aluminum angle and clamp it to the side panel and just drill your holes right through the angle and the side panel at the same time so the holes line up perfectly. But such is the life of a modder, nothing is ever perfect :rolleyes:
    But the cubes do serve their purpose and they work, I've just discovered that it's not an ideal setup (or at least not quite as ideal as I had imagined). If I were to do this all over again (which I will be eventually), I think I would have chosen to use some kind of hollow square tubing or angle (probably acrylic) and make more of an actual frame. I would still might choose to use the corner cubes on some things, but I would be much more selective. Hope you can descipher that jibber jabber and you get some productive use out of my rambling. Good Luck! :thumb:

5. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Oh yeah, and I discovered/confirmed that this flourescent green acrylic is UV sensitive/reactive!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
    *que evil Mr. Burns voice* "Excellent!!!" :rock:

6. phenix

phenix What's a Dremel?

7. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Hmmmm, can anyone tell where this is going? :D
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

...And NO, the flourescent green acrylic didn't raise my temps 10ºC! :p

8. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

phenix, from what I know and can imagine, the aluminum frame (like what is used on the HentaiBox project you linked to) would be more sturdy than the cubes. I chose the cubes because it requires less work and looks a little cleaner. However, you can still get the aluminum angle framing to look good, it just takes more effort/skill. If you have good knowledge of metalworking and a very good, thought out plan, and paint the aluminum, then the angle framing would be your best bet as far as strength goes.

9. phenix

phenix What's a Dremel?

i dont know metal but my cousin is really good with liek hands on things. i also want to put it on casters

gvblake22 did u check out the mountain mods link i sent .. want something like that

10. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yes, yes I did. A lot of people want something like that! LOL :hehe:
    But seriously, I can tell you want something large and strong. If that is kindof what you are looking for, then using aluminum angle or hollow square tubing is going to be your best bet. It will take a little more planning and preparation, but if you can do it right, the benefits of the aluminum will far surpass the little acrylic corner cubes like I used.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice project, looks good.
    Love the title :D

12. phenix

phenix What's a Dremel?

yea i agree but the hard part is that this is my first time building it from scratch so it might be hard i dont knwo yet..

alright good luck ..dude i really want to see yours lol

13. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Thanks man! :)

Yeah, but you have to start somewhere. This is my first time ever working so extensively with plastic. And it is my first time ever working with these corner cubes. And my first time ever building a case from scratch! So you see, you always have to start somewhere. Everything is a learning experience, and the only way to get experience is to start doing stuff. Lucky for you though, aluminum is realtively inexpensive and easy to machine :rock:

Me too! :hehe:

14. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

WOO HOO! Got a new toy :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should work great for cutting out all the openings in the front and rear panels!

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

WOO HOO!!! Someone loves me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    [​IMG]

OOOOHHHHHH, the possibilities now!!!! :dremel:

16. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Nice new toys ya got there! What device are you using to measure temps in your last pics? That looks perfect for an idea I have.

17. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

18. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

Man, when you reply you really dish it out. Thanks man!

19. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Of course! :D
    I hate it when people reply with information that is not helpful or completely off topic. So I try not to be a hypacrit...

20. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Well, I just thought I would give my fellow project subscribers a quick update on this project. Here is how it stands right now.... :(
    [​IMG]

Basically I am just too busy with school and life to get anything done on it, but I definately haven't forgotten about it and have every intention of finishing the project. It will just be on "hold" until this summer when my life settles down a little and I have more free time and $$ to do it right.
    ....Until then! :cooldude: