1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: The Tux Files, 18July2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by serial_, 11 Oct 2005.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Are you running those monitors off of 2 dual outputs? Will the game wrap or are you running 3 sperate monitors liek its own computer?

2. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

u running a matrox parheila there? or is that jsut the sweetest monitor setup i've seen? I love the progress you made on the case, its coming out great!

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Shame.. Windows on the tux files.

:lol:

4. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Well, when they release WoW for gentoo then I can remove the dual boot :)

To answer the other questions, no parheila, Just a widescreen with two peripherals, and the monitors are run off two seperate cards, I am a gamer by heart, so the GeForce 7900GT is dedicated to the central display, and the two peripherals are running off the much less cool peripheral card.

I'll post some pics of the gentoo install running multiple desktops on the array, just working out some quirks, and windows is still the center of my multimedia... so *shrug.*

- serial_

5. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

i'm just wondering you got the linux pingu on the side of your case, but you run windows just seems a little bit weird in my head, but hey evry thing looks great especilly those screens *nam*

6. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Not to be mean but did you read his last post. He said he is dual booting. Which means he has windows and linux on the same machine(atleast that is what it normally means). He does this becuase he plays wow and noone has ported WoW over to linux so he needs windows to play it.

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

nice setup...I especially like the screens and how the larger widescreen display has almost the same image height as the 2 smaller ones. Kind of make me regret i just ordered a 4:3 19" instead of a widescreen. Is it one 19"wide and 2 x15"??
    Happy gaming :)

/GNU

8. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

yes i read it after writing my post, i didnt just have the strenght to change it :D

9. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

It's a 20.1" widescreen and two 17" peripheral displays. And as far as the image heights, the actual screen sizes are the same, it's the cabinet (casing) that's smaller on the peripheral displays. The KDS monitors i was going to use matched, but the contrast ratios, brightness, and response times did not match the central display.

So now everything has an 8ms or better response time, 300cd/m2 brightness, and a 500:1 contrast ratio on the peripherals and 800:1 on the central. After some toying around I got the colors to almost match perfectly across the three. The widescreen is a DVI, so it naturally has a lot bigger colour range :p

- serial_

Last edited: 24 Jul 2006
  10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what is that HSF?
    what is the other Graphics card you are using?

nice project :D

11. img

img Minimodder

nice. always good to see how much better it looks now as those case and hugh and fugly from experience

12. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the delay in response, been neglecting everything for WoW... you understand.

The HSF is the Spire Diamond Copper HSF. I got it from newegg, and it's rather nice. Honestly i'd recommend the Mini Typhoon over it, lower db rating and more airflow, keeps stuff cooler with more heatpipes. This one is decent, but not great - these damned Prescott cores are hotter than your mom on fifth street. I idle around 40 and after playing some F.E.A.R. for a couple hours get into the low 50s. Still within MS's operating specs, but higher than I like.

On a side note the north bridge on that motherboard gets FAWKING hot. I recommend something after-market. Awesome board. Hot nb hs. Passive heatsinks are about as fun as a bandaid in your burger... you're glad to know someone tried, but not so glad that it's your problem now...

The 2nd card is an ASUS PCI-Express x16 GeForce 7300LE, running in x1 mode (thank you for not knowing wtf you're talking about ASUS--They said you couldn't run one card in x16 with the secondary in x1 because the north bridge would auto-select, but it's a hardware selection for the bus speeds, you actually have to flip the selection card on the board to change it to x8/x8. Damn I hate being right over the manufacturer's support... It's just not right!)

Well, if you have any more questions, lemme know - I still have more. Ideas keep coming, maybe someday this project can get a "The End." But that day is not today.

- serial_

Last edited: 15 Aug 2006
  13. gometro33

gometro33 What's a Dremel?

Just use WINE, it works really well with WoW

14. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Yeah but then it's a bitch to fraps and run all the peripheral **** that comes with being in a crazy raiding guild. BWL takes over your life :(

- serial_