1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project :: Think Tank

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Draxin, 12 Jan 2004.

1. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

That's the idea... :thumb: very Sci-Fi. Would be dead easy to do. (Well maybe not too easy).

Something like the brain from Robocop...

2. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

its funny you mention that, i rember wanting to make something like the brain in a tank from robocop2 a long time ago.

i had also thought about making the brain pulsate but brains dont pulsate, they just sit there.

as for incorperating it into a case. if i had a case to cut up and work with i would try, but as im on a shoestring budget as it is i dont think im going to.

iv been doing some sketches coming out fairly well. ill get them scaned in and posted when i can.

anyopne know where i can get some lengths of Fiber Optics cheap? and probebly alot of it? oh yeah and ALOT of LEDs hopefully cheap as well. cuz you know im broke :hehe: :D

thanks for all the support guys

3. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

4. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

I think it would look pretty cool if you used the brain lighting as a power indication and made the brain jerk (spasm) for HDD activity... Could get quite lively during defragmentation! :D

5. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

id thought about it, dont know how i would rig the servos, dont know if i want to go down that road either. but ill think about it.

hopefully i will get the sketches scanned and up sometime today or early tomarrow

hopefully ill hear back from Naked_dave about the LED Randomizer so i dont have to start designing one from scratch, because the only way i could is if i buged a few people around here to help :hehe: :duh: :hehe:

6. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

I'm tearing up my whole house looking for it hehe

Will ask my dad tomorrow if he knows where it is. :wallbash:

7. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

YOU THE MAN

8. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

If i can't find the plans, i'll send you pics of the circuit boards, and you can copy from that :)

9. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

I'd be happy to help if you have a problem with electronics... as I am sure lots of others will...

How many LED's do you actually want to randomise?

10. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Run air up from the bottom of the jar so it looks like a stasis or a suspension fluid, not formaldehyde. I like the idea of the random circuit board siticking out of it, although that goes a little beyond "organic computer" and making the brain look like the heart of the computer. Fiber optic cables would rock, and you really only need 5 or ten leds of a semi-random repeating pattern and disperse the fibre around a bit.

11. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

digitalblueshift i had thought about that, i have yet to come to a decsision.

as for the number of LEDs im thinking a LARGE number, because sure i could go the easy route and only use a handfull but then the patterns would then be noticable, not something i want. im thinking 150 to 200 :eeek: :eeek:

yeah i know thats alot. but i want this to be a display peice, so i want it to look as good as it can, and if that means more work so be it.

as for the randomizer, if you cant find the plans pics of the front and back as well as part labels would be great. (part labels IE IC#xxxxx that kind of thing, cap ratings etc etc)

like i said i want this to look good, but as to how "flashy" i want it im still working on. Iv scraped some of my earlier sketches and am redesigning certin elements of it.

thank you all again for your interest, input, and offers of help.

ill get some of the orig scraped sketches up so you can see where im starting from and where im coming from.

hell i might just make this into a brain with a full spine in a display case with the computer actully concealed in the casing. you never know

thanks again all

12. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Full display case with spine etc. would look amazing!

13. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

anyone know where i can get hold of say 200 blue LEDs for a cheap/decent price. Keep in mind im located in the USA.

14. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

there is a good cheep company in the US... not sure of the address though... I'll have a look

15. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

I HATE MY SCANER

it doesnt want to work. ill go grab the hammer and beat on it for a bit then try again.

16. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

I HATE MY SCANER

promise i havent stalled out on the project i just cant get the sketches scaned to upload and post.

ill find a way i promise, please dont loose faith.

I WILL DO THIS

17. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Umm, I know it would be complicated, but why not have it to where it's still random as to what LED's light, but depending upon how long the hdd is thinking, depends upon how many LED's fire. Like if say the hdd is thinking for 2-3 seconds straight, then 60% of the LED's would be lit, and so on. Just an idea, and would be a better representation of brain activity. Large file = lots of thinking, small file = little thinking. It would still give you the effect you want, but would end up looking better. Just my two pence.

18. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

i had thought of that but i couldnt even begin to phathum how to pull that off. im sure however if i could enlist zapwizard to help me on the curcuit design, im sure it could get done.

im thinking more and more about making this a full case and display peice, maybe even an HTPC that would stand next to my TV.

this started out simple and seems to be evolving into something im not sure i can do. so i might start out with a simple first design and then build more then one, continualy expanding from one to the next.

right now probebly isnt the best time to think about it though as im currently frustrated by things happening right at this moment.

You guys (and gals) of bit truely are the best.

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

20. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

wellthat helps. now all i have to do is roll that into a randomizer so it lights up more random LEDs at one time when its busy and only a few at the same time when its doing very little.