1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project "Tikki Aquarium" - [update 040707: piranha madness]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 31 May 2007.

1. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice brushing skills :hip:

2. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot!! :clap:

in the last days we spent the most time on airbrushing and cleaning the aquarium part, beside that we spent some time on fixing smaller parts, but here are some pictures .... :dremel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think tomorrow the dvd cover will be ready so that we can start to integrate the hardware...some lights and a lot more details.... :thumb:

we try to finish the main work on this project until the next saturday, because from saturday to sunday we´re going to make a small modding contest which is recorded for a big local TV show...of course we will take some pictures of those 24h modding projects and i think when it´s broadcasted there will be no problem to bring it to youtube... :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 19 Jun 2007
  3. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Your attention to detail astounds me, keep up the excellent work!

BTW your cat appears to have fainted over the awsomeness of this project.

4. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot!! :D

but it looks only like the cat have fainted over......he only inspects our work on the backside of the case.. :D ..this small cat is a BIG helper... :D :D he is always around us, onside and inside the empty cases......

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow that case looks great

6. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

One thing that would be cool, and not look like it would be a lot of work, is to make a longer tube and make the whole thing about 5-6' high :)

Other than that, it looks really good!

7. Particle Man

Particle Man What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure the first thing people think when they see that isn't going to be "hey nice computer"

8. Mr. Oizo

Mr. Oizo That yellow furry animal-thingy

Wow, I really like this case!

How thick is that green UV plexiglass... It looks almost 1cm thick! COOL!:D

9. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thanks a lot!

@ mr.oizo it seems like you have some good eyes! it´s really 1cm thick....

@ soulmage maybe we change the aquarium part for a bigger (higher) one, it doesn´t need much time to build it, but not at the moment..... we have some other running projects which must be completed within the next weeks so that they can be presented on the Games Convention this year.

today we built the cover for the DVD-Drive....i think i don´t need to say that it is curved like the rest of the case.... :D
    the airbrush is not finished but here it is together with a small air pump which is used to bring some bubbles in the aquarium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then we integrate some buttons, so that we can easy controll all lights which will be integrated in the next days, we also built a special power button in shape of a flower

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

It looks a tad out of place where it is next to the other 3 switches. If the "flower" were somwhat the same "wood" colour of the rest then it would look better. All in all it really depends on where it is at (e.g. front, back etc, ). Basically my personall opinion is that is takes a bit away from the over all "decor".

11. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Agreed with Soulmage; you should decorate the three switches too...

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

it hasn't been said enough, your airbrushing rocks!

and lol @ the flower, im sure you aren't serious with that, it belongs on a vw dashboard. i don't think the 3 black plastic buttons are good enough for the airbrush job, anodised or polished or chrome switches would be better i think

13. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

ok..... i understood the flower should go.... :D i think we will develop another power button which will match the rest of the case....

the 3 black switches have been airbrushed today....because we want to give them a last chance....but i´m not sure if we will keep those switches or really change them for other ones....

[​IMG]

14. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Those look really good. They are noticable, but its a close up pic. Imo, the best way to judge if you like somthing, just take a step back and get a "first imperssion" type look at it. Basically when someone walks up to it, where are their eyes going to move towards first and then adjust to focus the attention where you want it.

Edit: from looking back at the full pic of the "case", i can see that those switches are going to be behind the teeth. Imo they will work out perfect.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

How much did it cost to install the wood flooring? I'm thinking of doing that for my computer room. Sorry if this is totally irrelevant...

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It look really good, I like the way you put in the switches

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

y is the flower still there? switches are excellent now! if the paint wears away then metal switches are another option you may like.

amon, visit a hardware or flooring store, or look up a business directory or try this new thing called google. the mac can be purchased from apple & the plant from a nursey. no discussion on anything "non-tikki" here :wallbash:

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

i like the flower!

it goes with tiki if you ask me.

Maybe a suggestion though:

paint the UNDERSIDE of the flower that cool wood pattern, then leave the top the way it is, or switch to clear plexi flower, with the paint on the underside. it looks like a 1cm clear coat!

19. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

thank you teyber!

and sorry for the delay in the last days!

Up to now we only prepared the Aquarium part of the case with some Sand and Stones, and mounted the DVD Cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we couldn´t make any real progress in the last days because we had to move our tools to another place were we shoot a video for the German Television which will be broadcast next week.

For the Video we did a small 24 h contest, with 2 Casemodding Teams which got 24 h time and a bundle of high end hardware to build a spectacular casemod.....

here is a short teaser of our project (click for a short video).....we call it "Peacemaker"

[​IMG]

and here is a small video

20. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

lol nice tank