1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: TinyTux (FINISHED - 10 Jul 07 @ 03:00)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Soulmage, 5 Feb 2007.

1. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Well I am finally at it again. After moving from Japan back to the states and all, I havn't had much time to do any thing. Any ways enough of the blabber!

I have this laptop that the screen broke on and it was just sitting around collecting dust. Well I needed a server and instead of putting together a whole new system, I figured well why not!

All the following pics are of the parts and some of the work I have already started:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bottom and top of the laptop board. I will be relocating the power plug and possibly a few of the others (not to sure yet)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top and bottom of the cooler, Nothing exciting here really

[​IMG]
    I will be moding this do that it can fit into a tighter space. Still playing with the idea of putting the cells them selves around the case for better weight distrobution.

On to the Good stuff:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the start of the cdrom extention cable.I removed the connector off an older non working laptop cdrom and the opposite side needed off of a converter. The first pic is the first 25 wires and the second, well, the last 25. (And this is just one connector folks! )

[​IMG]
    WIRES!!! :p All the wires came from one 80pin IDE ribbon cable.

[​IMG]
    I used a two part epoxy after all the soldering was done so they wouldn't move around and break off.

[​IMG]
    And here we have the finished cable.

I would like to get an LCD display to work with this to show stats. If any one would like to spare one :worried:, that would be completly awsome! :thumb:
    I have a scythe USB but sadly it does not work in linux and the board does not have an LPT port :waah:

I should have another update up this evening. Going to start work on the battery and the HDD extention. After I get those done I will see what else I can do.

My goal is to get all of the hard minute stuff done and out of the way before I start work on the case itself.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2007
  2. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

FYI, I will not be posting to many "in the works" shots for most of the desoldering and making of the cables. I will probably take them, just not post. I am sure every one knows how to make them.

If any one does want to know how I do any thing that I do through out this work log, just ask, I will then post those pics.

3. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I am very interested in this project. For one, I want to build a Linux server that is very low profile and wireless network connected. Please, post as many pictures as possible!

4. Beats

Beats What's a Dremel?

Wicked Soul this looks like its going to be a interesting project, you dont see very many laps modded, please do post as much on the LCD as you can Im interested to see how that all works.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Deffo interesting.
    I was gonna do the same for my fileserver, old laptop with heaps of disks but couldn't think of a way to have a large raid array controlled by a laptop... :/

6. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Update time! (I passed out at like 6 am this morning after finishing :wallbash: )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Working on the battery pack, and the finished product ( Any one else think it looks like i am working on a bom :D )

[​IMG]
    Finished power cable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the HDD connector that connects to the motherboard.

[​IMG]
    The hdd header on the motherboard

[​IMG]
    Removed connector from a dead laptop drive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More tedious soldering! :duh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The finished cable! :clap:

Afaik the only way your going to be able to do that is to pick up one of those Ext USB storage arrays. I haven't seen any around the stores here in the states but there were 3-4 different ones in Japan (Man the computer stores there were SO much better :waah: )

I won't be doing to much with any LCDs since i don't have one that will work in linux :waah: . As I said before, if some one would like to donate a USB lcd display that is known to work in linux, then i will gladly do some more modding to the mother board to connect it :thumb: .

There won't be a whole lot in the way of updates through out the week. Work and all :miffed: .

Any who, let me know what you think :D .

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The battery pack is maybe the most self-made-bomb looking object I've ever seen! Damn that's a lot of soldering with the tiny wires... Looking forward, laptops don't get modded too often.

8. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

you are a monster with a soldering iron

9. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I have been messing around with electronics since I was 13 and I have the burn scars all over my hands and wrists to prove it! (Tip: Never hold the iron in your teeth just to have quick use of your hands, it slips out easy! :duh: )

I have 3 irons that I use all the time.
    A digital soldering station that goes from 200°C - 400°C (350°F - 800°F). I only use this one for tinning wires and larger soldering jobs. The tip is way to thick

One that has a very fine tip and is suposse to be 25W but since I bought it in Japan, it runs hotter because of the voltage difference.

And the last one I have is the first one on this page . This one i also I bought in Japan and also runs hotter than it should but thats actually a good thing for desoldering :D

I might be getteing a Weller soldering station within the next few months. All depends on how funds are :sigh:

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Weller indeed does some damn nice soldering stations.. I have the el-cheapo model (WHS-40) and even it is pretty impressing. Tho I must say the original tip is pretty crappy, better get the real thing right away and you wont have to change it for a couple of years.

11. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Damn, so MUCH soldering and wires!!!

12. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Actually, I'm just a little confused. Are you using the batteries as some form of backup in case the power fails? Or is there a deeper purpose for all of the battery work? Or am I just missing something?

13. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Since this is all from a laptop, I figure It would be useful to have as a "UPS" of sorts.
    That way I will be able to shut the system down safely and not have to worrk about file corruption and such. I would have liked to use a smaller batteries (I have two Lithium batterys from an older portable DVD player, but if I remember correctly they are only 7.2V each) So unless I get some other alternative soon, I will just use these.

Btw, I am sitting here at work trying to draw up some finalized plans for the case so when I get them done, I will post them up.

Or I might just leave you all in suspence till I am done with it :p

14. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Just a smalll verbal update till later this weekend.

I have spent most my time,while at work and home, drawing up the design for all sides of the case. Atm I am working on the top and the bottom. I will also be working on a 3d rendering to get a better idea of how this will look.

I will post it all this weekend once I go switch out my modem and get my internet connection back online. :miffed:

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  15. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Lol are those sony batteries?

16. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

the first picture of those lithium cells says 'Samsung' :confused: didn't know they made batteries :p

17. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Ok here are some preliminary drawings on the front, back, and sides. I am working in Illustrator atm to get better proportioned images as well as set it up to model in 3dsmax.

Any Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The small squares are a screen that I will be using. The letters and the penguin on the front will glow blue. The dot on the top portion of the front will be the cd rom activity light (also blue). Also the square that the penguin is on will act as the power button as well.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2007
  18. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Very nice design! I was thinking maybe since this is a server of some sorts maybe it would be nice to have a USB port on the front of the case for easy transfer of files from a usb stick, camera or usb HDD. But then again it could be easier for you to just copy them through your network. Whatever works for you. Just my 2 cents.

19. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I thought about that but this will basically have only two wires going to it, power and network. I am making holes for the usb ports mainly cause they are on the board .. And who knows, later on down the road this could turn into a car pc. :thumb:

20. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

Cool mod.
    I have a iMon VFD remote controll thing with an LCD screen that i dont use.
    I dont know if it works in Linux or not, but its yours if you want it.