1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Toxicity - Completed! 13/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigr1982, 9 May 2010.

1. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

Yup I'll be doing something about the dust although it shouldn't be too bad as my current rig gets cleaned once every couple of months and has no filters either.

2. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Oh.... I have the 922 mid tower so I have all the cheapy lil dust filters. :D

Well since you are water cooling you shouldn't have any problems Craig.

3. craigr1982

So it's been a while since I had an update..but fear not my friends I have a shiny new video for you.

Sorry for the quality of the sketchup section, not sure how to sort that yet. Also the perspex will have designs on not just round holes but it was all I had time to do.

I'm hoping to get the roof modding sorted soon as without it I can't piece the case back together. Without the case being back together I can't finalise the dimensions for the custom res as (like a muppet) I forgot to measure BEFORE I ripped it to bits.

Enjoy and don't forget to comment either here or on the video :)

PS I will be away for the next week so the project is on hold until I return.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Great video. the before/after filing stages were quite awesome. I'm lazy, I do as little of it by hand as possible :p

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Pretty sparks :) I'm not looking forward to filing... :( How long did the filing take?

6. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

This case is going to look sexy when its done!

7. craigr1982

Cheers folks :)

The filing took about an hour and I shall be rubbing down a little more with some wet / dry paper just to smooth it off so I can't cut myself to ribbons on it.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats not so bad, I'm looking forward to seeing the finish on it :) Are you just going to tape the plexi in place or screw it?

9. craigr1982

It will need to hold my 360mm rad in place plus fans so I don't think tape will do it. I'm currently working on how it will be attached.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oooh, that'll be a challenge. Bolted brackets is all I can think of, but it'll ruin the look of the case. Would the screw holes under the plastic top cover be enough to hold it?

11. craigr1982

So I'm back from my holiday, hoping to take some photos of progress so far and then get on with some more modding this week.

12. ModaRobby

Awesome! And about you having trouble with the Dremel, what I did with my HAF when I cut out the side panel (link in sig) I taped it all off and used a ruler/straight edge to draw the cut I wanted to make. And I didn't cut on the slope because that increases the amount of metal your dremel has to cut through. So I just cut along the base of the slope and used a small round coin (penny) to draw the corners uniformly.

Then I came back with a round grinding stone and shaped all the corners. Then sanded and filed everything for a nice smooth finish :thumb:

Can't wait for the next update. Staying tuned.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

14. craigr1982

I'll try the dremel trick on my next attempt. Cheers Robby :)

So I figured a quick catchup was due. I was hoping to take photos outdoors but it's been raining for ages so I had to make do with what I had.

As you saw I braided an ATX Extension in my earlier video, but I didn't actually take any snaps.
    [​IMG]

Since then I've braided some more of the PSU.
    Seemed a shame to pull off the black braiding which was on my BeQuiet 850W PSU..
    [​IMG]

But it looks so much better in green :)
    As you can see I've also shrunk the leads down to the right size. Who makes these cables which have a massive amount of cable between the SATA leads?
    [​IMG]

I also braided my PCI-E Power leads in black and green.
    [​IMG]

I've also mocked up the case ready for riveting but I still have some work to do on that before I'm ready to show :)

Thanks to my Sponsor MNPCTECH for providing the Sleeving among other things :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  15. ModaRobby

Awesome stuff. Corsair does the same thing with their PSU's, obnoxiously long cabling between the leads.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think all PSU companies do. the thing I find odd is that SATA power connectors are alows in the wrong orientation :(

17. ModaRobby

They do it so us perfectionists void our warrenties... :(

18. craigr1982

Amen to that. :)

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm going to when I get my new PSU, I was thinking about a Enermax Revolution 85+, just because I love how it looks...

20. ModaRobby

I'm not sure if you care but try to find a PSU that isn't sleeved if you plan on re-sleeving it because a lot of companies like to use a heatshrink that has heat activated glue on the inner part. Makes it a bitch to take off.

Just thought I would bitch about that while we are talking about PSUs.