1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Transparent Tower 95% DONE UPDATE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Longtalltechsan, 5 Jan 2005.

1. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

A hammer finish looks like some one has hit it repeatedly with a small round head hammer.
    The mods looking good by the way.

2. Longtalltechsan

Longtalltechsan What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's a good way to describe it. I just didn't want anyone thinking I was doing something that looked like it had been beat all to hell. Thanks for the compliment. I think alot more will happen this weekend. Wife said she would take the kid and go somewhere for a few hours this weekend so I can work. More updates when I get them done.

3. Longtalltechsan

Well everyone, progress is being made, but its slow. Plus, I'm not very good about taking pictures along the way after every step like so many others here. Today I cut out most of the holes on the front panel for the cd drives, glued the sides of the drive cage together, wet sanded the edges of the top pieces of the case and a few other miscellaneous things. I also received my 2 120mm white LED fans and fit one of them to the front of the case. Everything is going good so far. I'll try to have pics up soon. Sorry for the lack of images, but like I said, I'm not using to doing this in such an ordered process like most of you here.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Hammered finishes look sweet, I painted my project with it last time. They look very cool.

There was one project on here (I can't remember the name - if anyone else can help?) where the guy sleeved the wires with clear plastic tube and replaced all the wires with just blue ones (he marked them so they could be re-attached properly). V. cool effect.

You've come up with a very unique design. Good luck with it. Just take care when plastic welding (chemical bonding) - it's a very unforgiving procedure.

5. Longtalltechsan

Thanks Constructacon. So far the plastic welding has gone smoothly. Knock on wood. I am on my fifth joint right now and so far so good. I also got my mobo mounted onto the clear tray tonight. So right now, I am 'computing' with just the components on my desk with everything out of the case. More updates tomorrow with pics I promise.

6. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

i'm loving how its looking so far, but beyond it all, that sketchup work is amazing!!! very very good job, and if your design is accurate, you wont have any unknowns in the end ^^ great job man, nothing but props^^ i love large plexi things :dremel:

EDIT: #75 :cooldude:

7. Longtalltechsan

Ok everyone. Here's a couple of images to prove that I have done something on this acrylic case. The first shows the mobo attached to the clear mobo tray. It is now sitting on my desk so that I can still use my computer.

[​IMG]

And here is the Bulgin switch fully functioning and glowing. I love the blue color but couldn't figure out (yet) how to get to the insides and switch the LED.

[​IMG]

Today I got a little work done on the front of the case. Did some filing and sanding. Will try to get it done tomorrow. Funny how things don't get done as fast as you think they will when you have a wife and kid around the house. Take care everyone.

8. Who_me_33

Why do you want to switch the led in the switch. HTat swithc looks so cool by the way.

9. Xhiz

Xhiz What's a Dremel?

OMG Im loving the design !!! :thumb: :thumb:

Can't wait to see it finished

10. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

to get it open you'll have to cut it just below the threaded part...i just asked that same question the other day and got some good feed back on how to do it check this link :thumb:

11. Longtalltechsan

Well as I have said before, I want all the lighting in the case to be white LED's. Can't get a Bulgin with white so I am considering switching out this one to white.

12. Longtalltechsan

Here's a list I have come up with of everything I still need to do:
    -mount optical drives in drive cage
    -mount hard drive in drive cage
    -mount card reader in drive cage
    -mount audio/usb piece in drive cage
    -cut out space for audio/usb piece in front panel
    -mount mobo tray to side panel
    -wet sand all remaining pieces
    -cut out back I/O panel
    -cut out PCI card slots
    -mount 120mm fan on back panel
    -cut hole in front for Bulgin and mount
    -lengthen PSU wires
    -sleeve all wires
    -construct square connector tube for top and bottom compartments
    -cut holes in 2 middle horizontal pieces for connector tube
    -cut holes in 2 middle horizontal pieces for vertical rod
    -fabricate PCI card holders
    -fabricate back I/O panel and mount
    -solvent weld all vertical pieces
    -solvent weld bottom compartment to bottom horizontal base
    -cut rear holes for PSU
    -solvent weld top compartment
    -get & modify power box for back of PSU
    -mount 80mm fan in PSU

That is what I have come up with so far. Still a little to do. Should be done by tomorrow. Just joking. Lots of work to do. Hopefully I'll be done this year.

13. Longtalltechsan

Ok everyone, I finally have a pretty good update and feel I have accomplished a little something. Tonight I mounted the optical drives and hard drive into the drive cage, so check off the first and second items in that laundry list above. This first image shows the drive cage with the optical drives installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are a couple of pics with the hard drive mounted in the drive cage.

[​IMG]

You can see it better in this one.

[​IMG]

Well a little better, but its in there. So now I have plenty of other items to do, but bear with me, I am getting as much done as I can.

14. Who_me_33

In re to the second to last picture, the hard drive doesnt look very well mounted, ie it looks to be sagging a bit. Maybe a bit of suppord of it might be needed. HTe second optical drive seems to be on a bit of a lean, (looking at the gap between the to optical drives, maybe its just the picture. Are you going to hide the hard drive, and if so how. And while you were at it, why didn't you mount the card reader and front audio ports? Or do they need a bit of modding to fit in with the theme first (put a transpearent front on them). I think little bits like that make or break a mod. Other than that, its looking good.

15. Longtalltechsan

The screw for the hard drive is angled down just a tad, which I will fix, but it is very securely mounted in there. When I try to wiggle it, it doesn't move at all. As to why I didn't mount the card reader and audio inputs yet...well, I could be a smart ass and ask why I didn't just finish up everything while I was at it, but I won't say that. I didn't have time tonight. Believe me, I want to get as much done on this as I can, but having a family doesn't make it really easy to do sometimes as they come first.

I will get as much done tomorrow night as I can, and the night after that etc etc etc.

Not to be rude, but I think that's kind of a dumb question.

16. Who_me_33

Sorry if that came out rude. I just didnt think when i posted that, its just i didnt understand the time complaints. And after a decent look at the first to pics, and the scetchup pic, it appears as if you have almost finished the front panel, and are mounting the card reader and audio ports behind perspex, (or what type of plastic you are using) It will be interesting to see how you will mount it, is it a 5.25 unit, 2 3.5 units, or a mix. And this could almost be a dumb suggestion, but it could be a helpful one. Cut the mounting bits of the bottom of the drive rack, and put them square perspex rods in its place. And would it be easier to cut out the base plate, and add all you components to that as you go, then you keep them togeather, it might be easier to see the end product for you, not to mention Also no-one can start complaining about you taking too long to do the mod, for 2 reason, 1: mods can / do take a while, and 2: you have made a lot of progerss already.
    And a little favour if you dont mind, can you please edit the thread title, and say where you are up to, I find that helpful at times.

17. Longtalltechsan

Transparent Tower: Drives mounted 1/10

Don't worry about it. The card reader and usb/audio ports are seperate. I was going to try to put them side by side, but they are too wide. So now they will be on top of eachother.

I don't think I understand what you mean by cutting off the mounting bits and using square rods. I am not cutting into the base. The horizontal pieces you see coming off the sides of the drive cage will be secured to the base.

18. Who_me_33

This picture should explain it a bit better. The first diagram is how it looks like its going to be mounted (correct me if im wrong), and the second one is what i said about the perspex square stuff. It appears as if you are going to glue the flaps on the bottom of the drive cage to the base plate. What i was suggesting was to cut the flaps off, and put that perspex square stuff there, 1 edge of it glued to the base, and one edge glued to the drive cage. Not sure what it would do for strength, but I dont think it would be any different.
    Heres the pic http://server2.uploadit.org/files/nzboy33-untitled1.JPG

19. Longtalltechsan

Well the drive cage isn't going to be solvent welded to the base. I am going to attach it using thumbscrews so I can remove it if need be.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

on the back of the bulgin, there are a ton of metal fingers holding the plastic back on correct? Try bending these up and sliding the core out.