1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Tribal Dragons [front done UPDATED july 17th]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tribal Dragon, 19 Apr 2003.

1. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

cant wait for paint! :D great cuttin job :thumb:

2. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

Putty update :D

ok another update :D

I've done some putty so here's the results

I've put so putty on the top panel to cuver some bad cuts. That pic was taken just after I've applied it

[​IMG]

After 12 hours of curing, and after sanding, here's the top panel ready to prime :D

[​IMG]

Here's the left panel with putty. I only had to put putty to cover the ventilation holes

[​IMG]

And here it is after the putty has cured and that I sanded... I'll need to put some putty again since I haven't cover all the holes...

[​IMG]

I should be done with putty and sanding tom and I'll apply the first coat of primer to see if the sanding was good :D

few more pics tom ;)

Last edited: 13 Oct 2003
  3. Tribal Dragon

another update: 8 new pics

ok so here's another update :D

ok let's start by the back of the panel... I had to put putty both sides of the panel to be able to cover every holes and make it solid :D you can see here the top sanded and the bottom not... I did sand both.. but wanted to post what is looked like before/after sanding :D
    [​IMG]

now you can see on the panel many touch ups and every holes covered and sanded, ready to prime
    [​IMG]

here's the top panel with 3 coats... I've primed outside since I'll sand it again to make it flat and sand 2 little touch ups that weren't sanded right.
    [​IMG]

here's the side panel with 2 coats of primer.
    [​IMG]

here's both panels drying on the lovely spring sun :D
    [​IMG]

here's the side panel again with more primer now. I still have to sand a few things to make it perfect... but looks very sweet so far :D
    [​IMG]

and finally, a closeup of the holes covered :D
    2 pieces of dust are on the panel (around the right dragon head).. no problem, my sandpaper will take care of it :D
    [​IMG]

after sanding little details, I'll prime it and make it ready for painting :D

also, I have to cover the holes on the right panel too... sand it and give them a few more coats of primer since I've primed only to see if I've sanded right... I didn't did it with the other 2 panels... I forgot since the panel is less interesting than the 2 other :D

everything should be done tomorrow and pics obviously will be uploaded :D

4. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

what color paint wil you be using?

5. Tribal Dragon

well I haven't decided yet....

sure thing is that I'll use dark red with black flakes and black with silver flakes...

just don't know which I'll use for background and which I'll use for the inside and the tribal (I'll use an airbrush for the tribals to it'll be a gradient from the tribals to the background)

also, I'll make the paint custom which will let me have the exact thing that I want :D

I thought about painting the background black and dark red the tribals and the inside.

and I'll post some pics tonight... the other panel should be done :D

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

This could be the lamest suggestion tonight, but I'd think perhaps a black w/red metal flakes on the outside, while using the normal deep red with metal flakes for the interior of the case...

Perhaps a red cathode at the bottom interior of the case?

Actually, now that I'm picturing it, I don't like either of those ideas, but I'll post them anyway. Man, that's going to be a tough one!

How about beige... I don't think anyone's done that yet!

7. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

very nice - i have deepest respect for your dremel skills - hard work - I know I've tried it :S

keep it up!

8. Tribal Dragon

hum... I don't know... I thought about black and red paints since it want to use different color than my other project... but I may end with something different... I don't know.. lol I'm sure I'll end up posting a topic to get suggestions since I can't decide myself :D

thx :D it's been long and hard but definitly worth it I guess :D it's about the same thing as if I would have made it watercut :lol:

9. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I love that window design! Dragon designs are cool, but have been overdone a bit. You've pulled it off nicely with the sharp edges. Looks really cool. I know that's just primer but it looks really good in brilliant white :D :rock:

10. Tribal Dragon

june 15th UPDATE

I've done some work on my case since the last month... but been too busy to post it... and I wanted to post more than 1-2 pics at a time... so here's my update :D

[​IMG]
    I've blocked the ventilation holes on the right panel... obviously I got it better than on the left panel... none the less both are look perfect

[​IMG]
    closeup ;)

[​IMG]
    Since I didn't want to paint the inside of the case wit it being assembled... I've rip it apart :D after sanding the parts, here's the results

[​IMG]
    bottom part

[​IMG]
    mobo tray and top part

[​IMG]
    after priming ever parts, I've sanded them with 1500 grits to make them as flat as possible ;)

[​IMG]
    another shot

[​IMG]
    the bottom of the dragon panel after sanding. 100% flat :D

[​IMG]
    The top panel sanded

[​IMG]
    bottom part sanded

[​IMG]
    Finally, the drive cage :D

I also got my 2 paints! Calypso red and carbon black both BMW brand :clap: Had to make them made since dealers don't keep them in spray can.

anyways, I'm gonna paint the outside black and the inside red very soon. I'll post pics as fast as I finish painting the case ;)

11. Tribal Dragon

red paint update

ok well I've painted all the inside parts of the case red. but I have to wait a couple of days before painting the black because the bottom and back parts are red inside and got to tape them to paint them black on the outside...

anyways, here's the results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've spray 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear... might put more clear and use a rubbing compound tho...

12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

oooooh.... pretty......

13. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Looking really nice so far dude, and that's a ton of work you're putting into this case :jawdrop: I bet it will come out really sweet :rock:

14. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Re: red paint update

Well, I do admit, that is one thing to do with unwanted m8's bedcovers :D

Class work, bty :thumb:

15. Tribal Dragon

Morphine: thx :) you've been looking at both my projects and your appreciation is always a motivation ;) ... but what's with all those avs? you're starting to scare me! :D

Lord_A: yeah I put lot of time and efforts on that case. I'm sure it will end up pretty great!

Yo_DUH_87: :D it serves me well. it's my second case that I paint on it... it has red, black, charcoal, blue and gret on it... gonna have to get another soon tho ;)

gonna wait a few days so that the paint fully dries then I'm gonna paint the other parts in black. the black is soooo great... can,t wait myself to see the final results!! :hehe:

16. Tribal Dragon

paint done ;)

ok so I had a little time last thursday to paint the remaining parts of my case...

so here's the results with a BMW #416 carbon black enamel paint ;)

[​IMG]
    the parts on the table waiting for the paint

[​IMG]
    my setup ;) the membrane on the back blocked all the fumes and prevented the fumes to float in the air ;) and no that's not me in the back :lol:

[​IMG]
    after the first coat

[​IMG]
    my dragons after the first coat

[​IMG]
    the top after 3 coats

[​IMG]
    here's the dragons panel after the 3rd coat... I don't know how I managed to get this shot... but that's exactly what the paint looks like when in bright light!! unfortunatly, couldn't remake another :lol:

[​IMG]
    Top panel after 2 coats of clear

[​IMG]
    bottom parts after 2 coats of clear

[​IMG]
    right panel after 2 coats of clear

[​IMG]
    dragons panel after the clear

[​IMG]
    After it dried a few days at my friend's place

[​IMG]
    dragons panel after drying

[​IMG]
    just for the comparaison... before anything was done to the panel ;)

oh... if you are wondering about the 2 little pieces between the 2 dragons, I've decided to leave them aside... like it more without them :D

so... I'm happy since my worked is almost done with that project. But I'll need to put more clear on the 3 panels (top and both sides) because I ran out of clear... and the clear isn't even everywhere... I'll sand the panels and I'll put another 3-4 coats then sand them again and wax them.

so I'm gonna try to assemble the case tomorrow or in the middle of the week (works a lot...)

I'm gonna also put the plexis this week on the top and left panel. I'll cut a 80mm hole in the top plexi for the air to exit (darn... I'm searching for the term... :grr:)

then after, only the faceplate will be left to be done... I'll make it simpler than my other and I'll use car mesh to cover the front fans :D of course the front will be painted black as well as the mesh. I got 2 red ccfls here that are waiting to be lit ;)

so... how's it is after the paint job? :hehe:

17. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

Perfect

awesome work Guy i love the paint job Really awesome work. and i like your Tribal good job. Keep the pics coming :)

18. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

ive always liked cases with nice contrating colors for the panels and chasis. That black paint looks pretty sweet, might look into that stuff if i ever decide to get a new case.

19. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

-> excellent paint job :thumb:

20. Tribal Dragon

no updates... but I've fixed the pics since my friend have problems with his server... so I had to rehost the pics... and here they are again ;) sorry for those that saw that X pics...

thursday I don't work, and I'll rebuild the case up and I'll by the stuff for the faceplate (alu, black paint since I ran off, plexi) ;)

also, I'll cover the fan with car mesh (which will be painted) that my friend gave me after he use most of his for his car :D

in a few days it's gonna be over for that project ;)

Last edited: 8 Jul 2003