1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: TwinDragon [Ideas PLZ]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Altron, 9 Mar 2003.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I originally wanted to build a case.
    After several long discussions with my friend Exan from Mikhailtech, I decided this was too much of a challenge.
    He is going to build a case from two Antec SX830 cases.
    Of course, we are fiercely competitive [We had an overclo0cking contest with our video cards - his Voodoo3 at 203/203 beat my Geforce 2 MX 400 at 205/200, though I still beat his 3D Mark score) and since I was already worried about building a case, I decided to forget about that idea and do a double wide.

I have a Dell, but I am getting a new computer in a few months and I thought "Instead of usign two smallish cases to hold the new puter that's at least a month away, why not get two big cases and put two systems in it"
    My first thought was this huge enermax I had seen. It was $135, fine for one case, but two was out of the question. BTW these babies have 9 5.25" bays.

So on to the next best thing: Cheiftec full towers, the DA-01WD to be exact. It was $20 cheaper than the coloured Martix cases, and $64 was an awesome deal.

I have a long list of mods for them:
    Painting
    Redoing front bezel in plexi
    "upgrading" fans to 120mm
    and watercooling

I will buy the right half first. It will have the D-Tek pro Core in the front, a PVC resivior, and a VIA Aqua 1300.
    It will house the Dell. I can't fit the HDD racks because of the resivior, but they can fit under the motherboard or somthing because the Dell is not full ATX.
    All watercooling and the Dell will be on the left side.
    On the right side will be the puter I am building.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2003
  2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

2 of the front 80mm fans will be removed and replaced with a 120mm fan. I may have to remove a HDD rack or two so my radiator can fit. I am probably going to relocate the power switch and LEDs on an empty 5.25" drive cover, maybe with the front ports on the Dell.
    Extra HDD racks will go above the PSU, unless I get another cheapo 300 watt PSU, as the Dells PSU is only 250 watts.

Comments Welcome //PLEASE POST! I FEEL SO LONELY!

Last edited: 10 Mar 2003
  3. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

You have have good ideas, what you need to do is get some pics up and show us you progress man!

:D:D:D:D

Good luck!!

DDK

4. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Re: Project: [can't think of a good name]

Can you post some pics/sketches?? Me loves plexy :brrr:

GeeK!

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I am waiting for my moms permission to buy the right case (Yup I'm only 14 and no computer parts without mom's permission)

The DA-01WD has a 2 piece bezel. I want to replace the bottom area, and hopefully the top area won't be too hard to redo (With blank drive covers and all, the're attached directly to the bezel in *most* cases - no pun intended)
    *remembers that DDK redid his front bezel*
    *frantically rushes too DDKs worklog*
    You're a genius!

EDIT: Ah, I don't think what you did will work for me, I need removable faceplates :(

I will probably order the case next weekend :D

Last edited: 10 Mar 2003
  6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I've made a drawing of the bezel, but my regular hosting thing is broken again.
    But I have a few of them (sadly the one that does direct links are down)
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1748170&uid=777343&members=1

The bottom fans are 120mm, i'll have to remove HDD racks.

UPDATE: Guess who is ordering a Cheiftec DA-01WD from Directron with his birthday money tonight...
    UPDATE2: Guess who's mean parents won't let him order a Cheiftec DA-01WD from Directron with his birthday money...

Last edited: 11 Mar 2003
  7. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

hey cool to see some one getting the same case i got. its a great case. I will post pics soon, have a few more things to finish up first.

ONE SIDE NOT THOUGH, if you get a new psu, it more than likely will not work with your dell motherboard, dell is big on using non propority parts, espicaly psu's. Everything looks the same but the atx power pins are located differently you can fry your mother board very easy. I also read that the dell psu's are very good and some will actuall be higher then rated, like a 250 watt running closer to 300 watt. so unless your plan on adding alot you might be safe with your current psu.

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I've heard that thing about the Dells "If you get a new PSU and put it in your Dell, you're getting a new motherboard too"
    What I meant about the cheapo PSU was using a relay or something to power it, then it could power the pump and fans.

9. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Using a relay to turn on a second PSU is quite easy; I'm doing that with my dual P!!!: just buy one miniature 12V DC DPDT relay, wire the coil to a molex from the primary PSU and use the switch pins to connect pin 14 to pin 15 (or another ground) on the ATX connector of the second PSU.
    NOTE that it's better to load the second PSU with something when you try, because some of them don't turn on if nothing is connected to.

GeeK!

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I've been thinking about this during my boring standardised tests at school, and 2 dragons is too much room.
    I thought it might be cool to get some plexi and making "additions" for the watercooling.
    smoked black plexi.

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I've had several ideas for this...

Small plexi box on any side of the tower with watercooling gear
    Huge cube case
    Small cube case with big plexi addition
    ungodly huge tower
    several mid-towers

However, I have $150 max to buy the cases with...

Last edited: 13 Mar 2003
  12. daDJ

daDJ What's a Dremel?

u only 14! :jawdrop: r u sure you can hold up a dremel yet :p :lol: (just j/k)

Anyway, if all you can think about during your tests is your MOD PROJECT.... i think you need to take a trip down to your local MA (modders anonymous). :p

PS: Nice project.... like to see what happens next :)

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

lol, I actually can't hold a Dremel very good, I like to use the flex shaft.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2003
  14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Hmmm...
    I've just gotten an excellent idea.
    Back before I even started this worklog, I was looking for cheap full towers to bolt together.
    I remember finding a cheap 6 bay case and thinking "That's no good, it's got 6 5.25" bays but only 2 3.5" bays and is only as tall as a mid-tower"

As I mentioned before I like cube cases.
    So this is my idea:
    Take a small 6 bay case, the Enlight EN-7280, $59, which is 17.7" high
    Take a generic mid-tower BUT with a 120mm intake, the WhisperSys WS-3081BS, $30, which is 16.8" high.
    Rip the 3.5" HDD bays and possibly floppy bays out of the WhisperSys. Put a radiator next to the 120mm intake.
    Make a 0.9" stand so the cases are the same height.
    Remove mobo side panel from the WhisperSys, take off the right side panel from the Enlight.
    Bolt them together.
    Rip off most of the front bexel and replace with plexi.

Things I will need:
    Enlight EN-7280 $59
    WhisperSys WS-3081BS $30
    VIA Aqua 1300 $23
    10' Clearflex 60, $15
    D-Tek Heater Core $32

And various other parts:
    Fans
    Clear PVC for resivior
    Relay, for the pump and 340 watt PSU that comes with Enlight case
    various screws and metal

EDIT: Pics of course!
    Enlight EN-7280
    WhisperSys WS-3081BS
    Radiator
    VIA Aqua 1300

15. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

what's so strange bout being 14?? i'm 15, and i'm playing with vapochills.....:brrr:

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Your site is really neat d00d! :clap:

</off topic>

Last edited: 15 Mar 2003
  17. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

thx hehe

keep on moddin

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

New name?

Seeing how this project has... ummm... evolved it no longer has anything to do with Cheiftec cases, or 2 identical cases.

Altron: "Yup, you should check out Project TwinDragon"
    people: "What are you doing, taking two Cheiftec Dragons and connecting them together?"
    Altron: "Nope, i'm taking an undersized server case and a generic mid tower and making it into a cube"
    people: "You've lost your mind"

Last edited: 15 Mar 2003
  19. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

I once added 2 lian li's to eachother to make a nice cube, however The front bezel was a problem so I stopped the project, and removed the 2 lians off each other again:idea:

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'm ripping off the front bezel (the left case is a premod. ugh. the front has to go, but the window has a nice blowhole so i'll keep that)

I want to order the case soon it's just a matter of convincing my parents.