1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project Typhoon Cube [new hardware, primer job done and gadget teaser] 28.06.2004

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AutoExec, 6 Jun 2004.

1. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

My second post in bit-tech and I'm already starting a worklog.. that should look promising, right? :D

Lately I've had lots of different ideas for a case build, including everything from building a whole desk to putting it into a model of a Yalmaha (from Anarchy Online). Eventually I decided, since I'm moving this summer and wont have much more space than 10m^2 to rumble on, that I wanred to build it as small as possible but still with watercooling! So te get it as small as possible in every direction it had to be made as a cube. After hours of moving around on components and evaluating different designs in sketchup, this is what came out:

(couldnt find anywhere the max size of the pictures so I scaled them to max 800 and prayed)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cube is 40x40x40cm plus 5cm of feet down to the floor.
    There will be two PSU's whithout cover mounted behind the front window so you'll be able to se all the electronics.
    The pump will have to be painted and polished of course since its going to be so visible.
    The harddrives are watercooled and insulated to dampen noice.

By now you are probably wondering what that gigantic hole in the bottom of the case are for...
    I'm guessing this will give you the answer :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Its the motor and blades from a table fan.
    Diameter on the blades: 30cm! windforce:1337!

seriously.. that fan blows like it is its last day on earth. The motor is soundless so to speak, but the air resistance on the blades make quite a bit of noise. It has 3 speed steps, but I may put on an adjustable resistance on the lowest step to turn the speed even further down. Step 2 and 3 will be mostly for showoff I guess :)

Now for a few details:
    The feet will be round plexy staves whitch I think I will drill a hole in from the top and not all the way to the ground.. then I'll put a led into the hole at the top, and hopefully it will look at least a little bit like its flying :rolleyes:
    The small windows in the top are for the dvd-rom.

Wish me luck.. :)

(Dont expect any updates here in a week or so.. have to focus on my exam first :waah: )

Last edited: 28 Jun 2004
  2. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

looks promising. Fairly unusual idea, are you going to fabricate the case totally by yourself? With that cube shape you should get some nice airflow. :thumb:

oh yea *koff koff* "w00t 1st post" :eyebrow:

Last edited: 6 Jun 2004
  3. Kverna

Kverna What's a Dremel?

This I'm really looking forward to! Been following it from the start @ overklokking.no, and will for sure follow it here!
    :thumb:

4. AutoExec

Yes, it will be fabricated from scratch from 1,5cm wood-fibre plates (MDF in norwegian.. dont know if its the same in english)

5. AutoExec

oh.. and I almost forgot to show you the project logo :cooldude:
    [​IMG]

6. Kverna

Kverna What's a Dremel?

Just wondering...
    Are you going to suck air into or out of the case with the big fan ?

Kverna er soetest!

7. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

yea we call it MDF too, at least here in Australia. I dunno what Pommies (Brits) call it. U know u want to be careful cutting MDF, hardware store over here arent allowed to cut it for u due to the chemicals they use to treat it. So make sure ur wearing a respirator or use another wood.

8. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

That fan is retartedly big...but for some odd reason, I like it :thumb: good idea, mod on. :rock:

9. Reco

Reco What's a Dremel?

Plan looks great and that fan is huge :thumb:
    Good luck in your exam.

10. AutoExec

well.. I am actually educated as a carpenter, so I'm pretty familiar with the safety stuff.. also I expect the raw building part to go pretty smooth :)

11. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

MDF

this looks like a great idea! :thumb: with that fan, it looks as thought it might actually fly! :D

12. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Very nice indeed! if you are still into the fans we talked about, you can just mod them so they suck the air out of the case, by turnung the blades... :) might be hard, but with your skills I'm sure you'll mannage it :)

Gl, Hf pal!

13. AutoExec

neh, dont think so.. those fans are really cool, but I dont think they would look too good on my cube... gonna try to get a straight as possible surface on it!

besides: C'mon.. how many more fans do I need than the overkill-beast I already have? :D

14. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

HEY I found bigger than yours :naughty:

[​IMG]

15. AutoExec

lol.. :hehe: hey, I'm cooling a computer here.. not a jet engine!
    The fan will suck air, dust and small pets from the floor and up through the case!

16. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

Hmz, you'd better have a huge outtake hole if you don't want it to explode

Btw : a fangrille and a air filter might be usefull :D

17. AutoExec

allready have a fan grill actually..
    here it is ready for mounting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

maybe the grill can be covered in som kind of cloth to prevent the case interior from growing furr...

18. Kverna

Kverna What's a Dremel?

first off all, looks great!
    But are you sure that the fan won't interfer with the hardware ? though big fans could make computers bananas ?

19. bamsefar

bamsefar What's a Dremel?

Yayks, don't want to get my finger in there. Does it run off 230V? You know you aren't allowed to tamper with anything above 50V, right? :naughty:
    (Like we care. Stupid laws)

Really like the case, and how you have positioned the windows. Think it will look great, so get to work :dremel:

20. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

That fan is mean, dont get too close u might get sucked into it.

Richman