1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project Typhoon Cube [new hardware, primer job done and gadget teaser] 28.06.2004

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AutoExec, 6 Jun 2004.

1. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

but do NOT buy that chrome paint!
    it has no hold what so ever.. you just have to rub it with your finger to make it come off.. and if you spray it with clear coat it turns gray :(

edit: the server my website uses just went down.. typical :wallbash:
    edit2: yay.. up again :D

Last edited: 23 Jun 2004
  2. AutoExec

update 28.06.2004

Well I got myself some new hardware for the cube :D
    [​IMG]
    from the right: MSI K8N Neo platinum edition, Athlon 64 3200+, and my new iRiver iHP mp3 player with 40GB capacity :rock:
    (mind you: the mp3 player is not for the cube ;) )

this calls for a celebration :p
    [​IMG]

I've also just about finished the priming and will sand it down and start spraying i black tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

here is a peak at some gadget I will use in the front:
    [​IMG]
    its an LCD display for such things as winamp plugin or system monitoring, and a digital termometer for monitoring the water temperature.

also I have started on the mounting plates for the dvd, burner and harddrives.
    [​IMG]

and finally: about how much paint I expect to use.. had to go out buy more than I already had bought ;)
    [​IMG]

I hope you'r as exited as I am :dremel:

The forecast here shows a lot of rain in the week to come, so I hope my parents wont mind me spraying and sanding just outside the entrance door since that is the only place around the hose that will remain dry :sigh:
    I really have high hopes regarding the paint job.. the test paint job didnt turn out too bad at all, and I'm planning to work more on the finished one.. wish me luck ;)

Last edited: 28 Jun 2004
  3. Nightingale_zero

Nightingale_zero What's a Dremel?

Not sure if I would pick that week to paint because of the high humidity with the rain in the air. When I paint I do it in my garage and then I stick the parts under a heat lamp that I got from the pet store to help the paint cure.

4. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Looks sweet! I like the smoothness of the case! no bups or scratches :D great job.. I'm looking forward to next update :thumb:

5. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

Good luck :D

6. AutoExec

hmm.. I might be able to perswade my folks to park the car outside the garage.. and a 500W halogen lamp should do the trick :)

7. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

Now that is one cool looking setup hope it turns out as you planned

**edit how did you make the model? 3dsm?**

8. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

coming along very nicely, i like the placement of your windows, and ireally like your huge fan you are using for cooling, that is wicked

mod on brother................. :thumb:

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Looks cool, good sketchup usage too.
    Adding any filter material will probably increase the noise too.

is that really law?! AFAIK we just rely on darwiniism (sp?) here.

10. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Really like the way this is going!!!

Excellent log. :rock:
    Not sure about the dog, :worried:
    It ate your glove! :waah:

11. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

This mod is gunna blow!!!!

PEACE

12. AutoExec

you said it :D

13. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

Your project!!

Is giving me wood!!! lol........ Really I like what you are doing. I will see it through til the end with you. your wood working is looking very nice!! And Yes I love that fan!! If you paint indoors don't get the wood to warm with that light!! Just luke warm

WZ

14. Nightingale_zero

Hope you have a respirator though the fumes from lacquer thinner and paint or so noxious that after an hour in my garage I always feel high. I finally decided for the betterment of my health to pick up a respirator and it makes a world of difference. The one good thing about humidity though is it keeps dust down. One trick I have always heard is to wet the floor to keep any just from kicking up(if you have drains in the floor that is).

15. Acid Burn

Just don't place the lamp too close to the cube.. then the paint might get messed up because of the heat.... :)

16. AutoExec

Nightingale_zero: hmm.. so maybe I should keep the floor im my room constantly wet.. I bet its easier than cleaning it :naughty:

And I'm not planning to fry the paint (even though it is heat resistant engine paint :D ). I'll keep the lamp at safe distance at all times.. promise ;)

17. Nightingale_zero

Yeah I don't keep the lamp right up the paint. Funny thing was when I was painting this case I was thinking of using engine high gloss engine block paint because it was the only stuff they had at the store in the color I wanted. I decided to go with a universal black so I am not sure how its going to look, but hopefully sanding and clearcoating will give it that nice shine I am looking for. I accidently bought rust preventor instead of primer but I am kinda glad because it let me see a few dings in the metal I was able to bondo in and now the panel is nice and smooth (I think I bent and beat out the low spots). Gotta admit that the MDF looks great and you can't really tell its wood. Might have to try my hand at a wood case with the router table I just got a few weeks ago( only used it on plastics so far). As to the big fan I would use some pantyhose and some mesh for a filter. Any air restriction will add noise but I would rather suffer a few dbs more of noise then have to break out the air compressor(with a moisture trap of course) and clean off all the components every couple months. So much easier to wash off a filter and reinsert.

18. Acid Burn

how are you going to fit the plexi? on the inside, out side or cut it so it fits the holes?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2004
  19. AutoExec

my plan was to cut it to fit the holes, and secure it with some tiny steel brackets and small screws. I would glue it on, but I'm afraid I might have to take the windows off to be able to gain proper access to some of the parts in there.

20. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

you could might make it on this way? :
    ___ ___bolt
    wo||=||=====plexi======
    od----\/-|
    ---------|

I dont know realy how to explain it in english, but i mean to cut out a small piece around the window, so the plexi will lay into it, and has the same height as the wood.