1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: UNKNOWN JOURNEY ** UPDATE (4th Feb) ** DVD fixed and button moved **

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by philb, 14 Oct 2004.

1. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

this is a really unique project! good work so far :D

2. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Update Questions

The basic shape of the upper drive is now taking shape with the help of my new toy the dremel!!

Although the rear PSU fan surround is not. Im struggling on the decision to use the 92mm fan i already have, or use a 120mm to purcahse? What do u think be more effective for my PSU cooling.

Also if i had the fan position at the top of the case, shoul i have it taking in air to the PSU or blowing out?

As there may be only on fan, not sure yet, and a mesh back panel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

Nice to see an update, still loving this mod. :hehe: i like the larger holed mesh myself. In my experience 120mm fans tend to be less noisy and have better airflow. and since that fan will be closest to your ears i would go with 120mm. I would have it blowing the air out as well (hot air rises, so it should make the heat exchange job of the fans easier). Keep us posted! :rock: :clap: :clap:

One question though. why is the front of the frame on upside down? :eyebrow:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2004
  4. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

You'll see. It is intentional!!! Theres a plan!!!

Any more comments???

5. ashley__

ashley__ What's a Dremel?

im interested towards what this plan is, nice work you done so far phil, lovin' it :rock:

6. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Can you explain the components for the drive bay? I'm norwegian and want to find something like it. Wat is it exactly?

Edit: normal fleece to make the round shape and "resin" (wtf?) to make it hard/solid? is RESIN something like fiber glas or maybe epoxy? I dont have a clue here

7. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

The resin mentioned is fiberglass resin.

This is the same as what is applied to sheets of fibreglass matting, when bridging holes in cars or canoes, etc.

The fleece simply acts as a shape for the resin to bond to and set against.

Any more questions?

Update soon.

8. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Thank you. I have though about something like this for a long time, but now you showed me a way to do it. I'll find something I can use.

9. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

if the psu is at the top and it has no fans i would have the fan blowing out.
    but if it does have a fan that is blowing out, then i would have the top fan blowing in unless you have more fans to put in.
    then i would follow this rule V
    I like the rule of having the same number of fans blowing in air as there are fans blowing out.
    Unless you have lots of vents. Then just blowing out.

10. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Well the top will be open for the fan to blow in?,

And then the rear will be nearly completly mes, so? to try and keep the noise down!!

Also can i run the fan from 5v rather than 12v, as this will also help to keep the noise down, or would airflow be to little?

CHEERS, Keep the replies coming :D :thumb:

11. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

You can run the fan at 7 volts for sure, thats where you get good sound vs airflow.
    5 volts might be possible, but i dont think the best effect is reached.

12. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Can i run 7v simply from the red wire in the molex connector, rather than the usual yello wire, thats 12v?

Thanks for the quick reply :naughty:

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

To get 7v, instead of connecting either the yellow or red wire to one terminal on the fan (12v or 5v) and black to the other (0v) simply connect the yellow to one side of the fan and the red to the other (12v-5v=7v).

Ta-da... :D

14. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, that just doesn't sound right. There is no completed circuit, two positives can't complete a circuit. This is just a recipe for a fried fan. I thought the correct solution would be to put a 100K or so pot on the 12v input, and dial it down to 7 volts.

Am I wrong?

15. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

The way he explainned is correct the 12 and 5 on each side produces 7 together i know it sounds kinda odd. But i tryed it and it works. But as you said you could also use a pot. Putt the red in the yellow and the blak in the red.

Btw i love the fiber. Haven`t hade a change to use it myself yet. but defently will use it in the near future. I just love how you can make your own shapes out of it. Keep it up .

16. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Yes, you are.
    Running the +12v wire(yellow) to the fan's red (+) line and the +5 (red) wire to the fan's ground wire (black) does indeed result in a fan that runs on 7v.
    All of my 120mm case fans run wired this way.

17. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

put the psu 12v line to the fans positive and the psu 5v line to the fans negative.

this creates a pd of 7v.

18. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Well there is always the danger of that (being wrong). I'll have to play with this, thanks for straightening me out! Sorry for throwing up the wrong red flag!

19. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys that helps alot,

UPDATE SOON

20. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Hey, nice work so far, If I may be so bold to make a sugestion... Get some emery tape, it is likesand paper that comeson a a reel. it comes in various widths (1/2"~2" and in various grits, 80~300 and you can use it to sand the shapes and curves in that resin and even make it seem smoother by using a motion similar to the one you would use when you use a cloth to polish your shoes.. Worked for me when I was building custom speaker pods for cars in the states!!! my 2 bits.. I am also keeping watch on this thread!