1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: UnKnown

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by moreDread, 31 Mar 2005.

1. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

looking good :thumb:

I think you have just inspired me :D

2. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

This might be one of the double cases that look good. And that's rare. Good work!!

3. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

no words for this maybe 4 I love it realy

but what else do you make in the case where no mobo is ??

4. albert.raaberg

albert.raaberg What's a Dremel?

That's just too nice! I like the way you think! :rock:

BTW, you just gave me an idea there.. :D

Keep it up! :dremel:

5. imgregrice

imgregrice What's a Dremel?

I am diggin the mesh where can I get my hands on some of that ??

I have always wanted to do a dual case you may have inspired my next project!!!

6. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Nice idea... if you want your wiring even more neat.. use the 'unused' motherboard mounting holes to run the extra power lines trough. Like for vga or 4-pins powers etc...

Too bad you didn't go for the polished look.. it should've suited your setup and case(s) fine!
    Good luck and mod on :rock:

7. moreDread

moreDread What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the positive replies folks... Tis good to know that i've managed a good job.

Q n A Time

The P38 (bondo) you can get from any car repair shop. They usually do 2 kinds. One thats like house hold wall filler, easy to mix (come in a 2 part mix) and easy to sand. Great for metals and filling holes. The other type is a fiberglass compound, take care if you use that one though as the dust is really bad for the old lungs so its best sanded outside and wearing a mask. As for prices it varies from shop to shop but i was paying £2.99 per small tub and i ended up using about 5 of them.

For info on the mesh look at the bottom of this page

In the other side of the case there will be a Pelt PSU. This generates lots of heat so it will be at the back of the case with a 80mm Panaflo fan and custom housing. This will help keep the heat down inside the case. Also there is a partition that will seperate the top of the rad to the top of the bottom fan. That is my heat zoning.

Cool air is brought in from were the hard drive sits and that will feed the system psu and pelt-psu. Heat from the rad will be drawn out with the bottom 120mm fan.

MESH

This can be purchased from HERE and costs £22.71. The good news is they ship to anywhere so you guys across the pond can get your hands on it to :clap:

8. moreDread

I managed to spray all the panels and although it doesn't show very well in the photo's, the case is a very dark pearlesent green with a good coating of clear high gloss laquer. One thing i have to say is i'm pleased with the out come of the panels, more so cuz they were sprayed outside on the 8th floor of a high rise block of flats. So the wind and cold has been a bit of a battle but....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats it fot the time being. When i get the cash togeather i'll be investing in a tec-unit along with a few other bits n bobs.

9. moreDread

With a little spare time and a little enginuety i managed to stealth the drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is as far as i've got so far, I've been pluggin loads of overtime so get the cash togeather to get the final kit but at £300 for the final parts its a long time coming... Still it should be worth it when its done.... And then i'm on for some serious OC'ing and the next project :naughty:

10. mr.X

mr.X What's a Dremel?

WOW :jawdrop: looking very good. I like what you've done with the drive :thumb: (gives one a lot of ideas :D )

11. PretendR

PretendR What's a Dremel?

maby an idea but try painting the cd drive in the same color as the case. it wont stand out that mutch like it does now. but still great work. and what have you done with the botom of the case?

12. moreDread

The drive will be painted with a vinyl paint as opposed to car paint. I was thinking black cuz its the closest colour i can find to the green.

13. moreDread

Well its been a while since i last did anything to the case but today i've been hard at work putting in the devider so i get 2 heat zones. The good news is it seems to be working well but the proof will be when the TEC-PSU is fitted and that gonna be a few days away yet.

The material used for the devider is 18SGW aluminum from maplin's which i had to buy 2 sheets of. I could have got just one but then there would have been a problem fitting it into the case. That will make more sence when you view the pics below.

[​IMG]

These are the 2 sheets, i had to remove 26mm off the length so they would fit the case. A nice easy job for the dremel

[​IMG]

Once cut to the right size i then started with the back part. This ment cutting out a small piece to alow wiring to pass without damage and also a fold so i could attach to the back of the case. Eventually this is were the TEC-PSU will sit, along with a custom housing to keep it cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats the first part done and it was also the easiest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the finished devider. The part that fits at the front of the case has a hole so it fits over the bleed screw on the rad and it also fits snugly against and under the top fan.

All that was left to do was drill 2 holes for bolting them togeather and then fitting it inside the case

14. moreDread

Just a few shot of the devider fitted inside the case. It needs either painting or covering with sound proofing material. I'll more than likely go with the latter to keep in with the rest of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. moreDread

More mesh to make a few more housings. Mainly for the Tec but also to hold the psu wiring out of the way and to hold the hard drives biggrin.gif

The new DD Maze4 top which looks so cool, cold plate gaskets and a temp probe. Now all i have to do is work out were to put the probe on the front of the case. I was thinking of putting it on the DVD drive part but i'm a little worries about the wires getting court on the mesh and blowing something. Even with wire braid covering them i think i could end up in the mire....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. moreDread

Well having the day off work does have its benefits... Like fitting a pelt to your system and also finding out that your GPU water block is clogged up with gunk (was gonna use something that began with S and ended in T but refrained).

OK so first off i get the parcel which was the TEC-PSU, 2 pelt block - a 226w and 80w - Grease and some odds n sods. So that was my first port of call. irst thing i needed to do was remove the board from the PSU housing so i could mount it on the divider i had done the other day. In typical moddy fashion i forgot to take in to account that i had put a fan at the back and so the board wouldn't fit as is so that left me with a little more modding to do. Still it fitted and i have the pics to prove it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see i had to make a few brackets to lift to board up and then use a few stand offs but it worked a treat.

Next came the new housing which i used the mesh again from the store. Unfortunately i didn't take any pics of cutting and such as you've all seen it
    done before but here's a few of the finished thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Oh man, this is looking awesome. :rock: I'm dying for some more pictures of your TEC ensemble.

Will you be painting the mesh surrounding the TEC-PSU and behind your powersupply?

18. moreDread

More pics on the way shortly. Not sure what i'm going to do with the tec housing, psu and now hard drive caddy. If i do pain them it will be in a stark contrast colour so they stand out.

19. moreDread

So with the TEC-PSU out of the way and having tested it would work without blowing the rest of the system (always worth checking you have no bad connections) i got on with draining the water cooling so i could change the GPU block for a nice new one.

The one thing i wasn't expecting to see was this....

[​IMG]

And just incase you think your eyes are playing you up here's a close up

[​IMG]

and one of the old housing

[​IMG]

Not sure how or why but the copper had loads of gunk on it, mainly were the water travels further from the center. Anyhow i gave it a good clean with a small wire brush and put the new housing on for the block... And hey presto good as new

[​IMG]

20. moreDread

This was the bit i feared most. Fitting the gasket, greasing everything that needed to be done, fitting it all back together and then turning it back on

The easy one first (yeah i kept putting it off) was the CPU block.

AS5 on both the block and coldplate and then all put firmly together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having drank loads of coffee and smoked more than usual i though i should just get on with it all.

I was never this bad when i went in to water cooling... Honest

So first the gaskets...

[​IMG]

Then fill with grease...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then put the CPU in...

[​IMG]

And fill with more grease...

[​IMG]

Then i fitted the water block..... and paniced

So got on to Marci and GAV2K about the block not going into the gasket far enough... or so i thought and then GAV came back and said to run a bead of grease were the gap is and it should be good to go... So i did

[​IMG]

and after refitting the pipes, filling with water and running it through i turned it all on and now this is what i've got....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes that does say -18.6

Well thats all i can do for today... tomorrow is a tidy up day. Not only the case but also my room