1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project vented.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by smoking_pig, 29 Aug 2008.

1. smoking_pig

smoking_pig New Member

Hi!
    my first case mod on bit-tech, I've started on a case i got got from my brother that has some average hardware in it.
    Its an antec something or other, and once complete it will probably sit on my desk until it dies. I started with some very crude drawings, some inspiration from supercars like Lamborghinis and enlisted the help of my dads power tools and made the side panels.

[​IMG]
    My concept drawings, the front I'm planning will be either alu or perspex bent on an angle with only a power switch to be seen.

[​IMG]
    This is how the case stands now, I've made the vents in the side panels, out of some very thin alu and them on with bondo.

[​IMG]
    The vents will need a couple more coats of bondo to be a bit stronger and look nicer, i also need to get the dirt from the bricks i used as weights off. :S

[​IMG]
    I used some old blocks of wood to bend the alu and made buts along the edge that would sit inside the case so it would be easier to bend the small surface.

[​IMG]
    Vents from the front of the case.

[​IMG]
    The vent on the right side of the case is merely for aesthetic value but the left panels vent will actually work as one, blowing air into the case over the graphics card and such.

[​IMG]
    I'm happy the vents ended up looking like they do, i wasn't really confident in my cutting/bending skills.

My idea of a colour scheme for this case is white and red and I've already started painting a nice old apple keyboard i had around but i used some nasty tape to mask one side of it and it left some bad stuff on the keyboard so im soaking it in water for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There will be more after this weekend hopefully!

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Colour scheme sounds promising:)

are you planning on putting fans inside the vents to actually get some more airflow, or is it just for cosmetic's sake? either way using n air filter might be a good idea

Regards
    Sharn

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz New Member

Maybe it is a good idea to put some modders mesh in front of the vents. I think that would louok really cool!.

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

got some nice potential there.

5. smoking_pig

smoking_pig New Member

hey back with an update!
    I got to work stripping the case and sanding the bog down then started modding the psu, normally the circuit board is upside down when mounted in the case.
    I flipped it over and cut a whole for a 120mm fan, the idea being the fan will suck air from the vent in the roof and then it will go directly out the back of the psu.

[​IMG]
    The case all nekkid.
    [​IMG]
    I may end up filling many of the holes and such with bog depending on what i decide to do with the front panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The system is a 2.8ghz P4, 1Gb corsair value, 7800gs and a 80gb hd.

[​IMG]
    450 watt psu was the victim.
    [​IMG]
    Its wide! must be good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My dodgey marking :S
    [​IMG]
    In need of a sand.
    [​IMG]
    In need of some bog!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Marking for the 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]
    I drilled a bunch of holes on the inside of the hole then dremeled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bog on the psu sanded back.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna need a finer coat.
    [​IMG]
    I filled the mounting holes for the psu.

Sanded the side panels previously, this is with another coat of bog.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats it for now!

BlackWhizz--I'm going to put mesh in the front of all the vents i need to buy some first :p
    Bigsharn-- I am putting an intake fan on the left side vent but I'm not sure about the right side i may move the hdd rack and put it there as an exhaust for the left fan.

Im going to hopefully buy some supplies online this week and i should have another update by next weekend.

6. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz New Member

I would go for on both sides intakes (on 7v) and PSU as an outtake and an extra outtake fan in the back.

7. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Cool beans:)

That way of cutting fan holes is exactly the same as I'm trying to do my case window (mine being a lot messier ofc.:p)

and likewise with BlackWhizz, have the exhaust fans at the back:)

Tags: