1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project WAVE 2.0 Redesigned 2011; Update 10; 10 May 2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vaptor-x, 28 Feb 2010.

1. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

Project WAVE
    By: Vaptor-X

[​IMG]

For the first time, I am going to upload my Worklog on an English forum. Normally I only use a Danish forum, so the grammar might be a little off :)

This project builds on AMD / ATI hardware which are going to be water-cooled by a Dual Loop system.

I have changed the idea a little, because the the front part looked bad, compared to my sketch. So to get this mod looking the right way, I am now going to build the cabinet frame from scratch. And I have also added some small changes to the build, but am going to keep the original design.

Budget: Well ... As cheaply as possible, there is a financial crisis at the moment :naughty:

Sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VcFyn
    Tj-Bolte
    SaniStål

Thanks a lot for the support :clap:

Equipment list: Can be considered as my shopping list.

Color Options:
    Exterior White full gloss
    Interior painted black full gloss and some polished Aluminum
    Cables blue and some red
    Hoses clear, with UV blue and red cooling water
    Lights and fans blue

Hardware:

ASUS Crosshair IV (purchased)
    AMD Phenom II 1100T Black edition 125w (purchased)
    8GB DDR3 Ram G-Skill Flare 2000Mhz 4x2GB (purchased)
    Corsair HX850 (purchased)
    One Asus ATI HD5970 (purchased)
    One Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (purchased)
    One OCZ SSD 120GB Vertex II (purchased)
    Isolating of Cabinet, Noiseblocker damping pads (I think)
    Fans SilenX iXtrema PRO 120 mm blue, noiseless and with an good Airflow
    Blue Cathodes and LED lights (purchased)
    Control: AC aquaero 4.00 USB - white/blue med AC aquaero power booster (purchased)
    Alphacool LCD-Display 240x128 Pixel blue neg. silver (purchased)
    Samsung Dual DVD drive with aluminum front (purchased)
    Samsung P2470H (purchased)

Water-cooling parts: :brrr:

Two Laing DDC 10w with XSPC Reservoir top; Water pump (purchased)
    One HW Labs GTS140; Radiator (purchased)
    One Phobya 360; Radiator (purchased)
    EK Supreme HF Black Acetal; CPU Blok
    EK Full cover HD5970 Black Acetal + Nickel with memorybackplate Nickel
    EK - FB ASUS Crosshair IV - Black Acetal + Nickel
    MIPS RAM cooler 4 incl. 4 RAM Module Nickel POM Limited Edition (purchased)
    Bitspower Fittings for 13/19 hose
    Hose Tygon R-3603 - 19/12,7mm - ½"
    Bistpower 45 grader fittings

Cables:

Neat blue cables and black connectors, instead of standard mixed colors. :thumb:

Work progress:
    Design: 90% Done
    Buying parts: 90%
    Building the Case: 70% Done
    Painting: 0% Done
    Polishing: 0% Done
    Build in Water cooling: 0% Done
    Test Watercooling: No
    Build in Hardware: No
    First startup: No
    Finishing photos: No

Project news:

As I have changed the mod, and building it from scratch, my mod Log starts on page 4. I have removed some of the updates notes below, as those parts/updates will be modified to fit the new frame.

Update 01; Design drawings
    Update 02; Hardware Pictures
    Update 05; Sponsor gifts
    Update 08; Hardware pictures
    Update 11; Sponsor announcement
    Update 13; Hardware bought
    Update 18; Sponsor Goodies
    Update 20; Hardware Update

Wave 2.0 updates 2011

Update 01; New design, and info
    Update 02; The new cabinet frame is made
    Update 03; Mounting the 360 Radiator
    Update 04; More framework
    Update 05; The new design revealed.
    Update 06; Temporary mounting of the exterior Laser-cut sheet metal.
    Update 07; Final mounting of the exterior laser cut sheet metal.
    Update 08; Mounting of the inside panel in the front.
    Update 09; Mounting the DVD rack
    Update 10; Mounting the cover plate for the DVD rack

Work as of now: :clap:

[​IMG]

Sponsers on the WAVE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 May 2011
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I don't see any pictures besides the big wave.

And looking at that parts list, all I can think is - financial crisis... right. :p

3. Vaptor-x

I will have the first design pictures up later this day :D

The hardware causes the financial crisis :naughty:

4. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

Nice to see more danes arriving, velkommen ombord.

Nice HW, looking forward to following this build.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  5. Vaptor-x

Takker mange gange for velkomsten :p

6. Vaptor-x

This is my design of the WAVE 2.0, I placed the design, in the first part of this thread, so that it is easier to see my design. In the bottom of this update, you can see the old Version 1.0 og the WAVE. :)

Now for the fun part of this post, I will show my new design and its features. There are still some acrylic parts that I haven't made jet, as I am not sure of witch idea I will use. But all the metal parts is finished. :D

First a picture of the front, look at the dual 120mm fan grill, its my own special design for this build :naughty: I think it looks great... :thumb:
    The front is kept simple, no buttons or DVD drive and so on.... My name and the waves are lit up by blue lights. Maybe I will use some UV clear acrylic instead. :hip:

[​IMG]

Here a look at the right side, here I have placed the buttons, Aqua Aquaero and the Alphacool LCD display. Again will the waves be lit up by blue lights, ore some UV clear acrylic instead. :D
    Here I also have made a special designed 140mm Fan grill, in the same look as the dual 120mm fan grill.

[​IMG]

And a look of the front and right side :thumb:

[​IMG]

The left side, is where I have placed the window, so that you can look at all the hardware. You can also see the GTS140 in the right side of the cabinet, where I will mount a 140mm Fan, that will push the hot air out of the cabinet, through the 140mm fan grill in the right cabinet side. There is also a small window, where you can see my SSD through :p

[​IMG]

A look in perspective of the left and front side.

[​IMG]

Now for the top, there is again some waves to look at. Through these waves the tree 120mm fans on my radiator, will get fresh cold air, and push the hot air out of the back of the cabinet. The plan is still, to get the top plate to open, with a push of a button. :dremel:

[​IMG]

This picture shows the top plate, and the I/O panel opened, the same panel as on a Coolermaster 840 :thumb:

[​IMG]

The rest of this update, is of the Version 1.0!

Update 1:

My design is now 95% finished; A few design changes can be made during the mod, if I get a great idea. :geek:

Here is a picture of my case, the overall idea is to hide as much of the wiring and hoses as possible.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the top plate can be opened. This is possible by pushing a button, that deactivates a elector magnet, and the power of the gas shock absorber opens the top, and the HW Labs GTX360 comes in to free sight. The underside of the top plate, is going to be semi mirror polished, so that it reflects the tree 120mm fans/blue LED on top of the GTX360.
    The front has some tech gadgets’, and will be protected by a clear acrylic glass plate, witch is going to formed around the round edges of the original front, small spacers will be used to get some clearance between the ALU front and the acrylic glass plate, so that the two 120mm Fans can get some air into the Case.

Here is a top/front view.

[​IMG]

On the top plate, there are made some WAVE’s for two reasons, one to follow the name off the project, two to let the fans on the GTX360 get some fresh air.

Here is a front/right view.

[​IMG]

Again you can see some WAVE’s on the side plate of the case, also some info on what type of gadgets that will be filling the front.

Here is a view of the left/rear.

[​IMG]

Also on this side the WAVE’s are clearly visible, and the name of my project it also lid op by blue light, on this side there is a clear window to view directly into the case, to look at all the beautiful hardware. There is also info on the key components placement.

Here is the left/front view.

[​IMG]

Some info on the picture, my nick name is going to be engraved in to acrylic glass between the 120mm fans and the reservoir, if there is enough space for it.

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  7. AcidDagger

AcidDagger What's a Dremel?

where is the work log?

I'm waitting :clap:

8. Vaptor-x

Update 2:

Today i got some parts for my project :jawdrop:
    And i just wanted to share them whit every one else...

First here is a 1x2M; 1mm Aluminium plate, got it from a Danish company 40% under listing price:naughty:

[​IMG]

Next we have some small part.

[​IMG]

Now for the goodies :D

Here is my new HW Labs GTS140... Had to change it from the original GTX140, due space limits in the case.

[​IMG]

I was lucky to get the next item second hand. The HW Labs GTX360; it only has some small scratches on the side, and as the side is not going to visible, there was no problem in buying it second hand. It only cost me 30 Euros, an I saved 83 Euros compered to the new price in Denmark :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my two Laing DDC 10W pumps, with XSPC top :thumb:

[​IMG]

Last the XSPC Reservoir.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i can startet on the real work, modding the case :dremel:

Hope you liked the pictures

Last edited: 30 Jan 2011
  9. Vaptor-x

This update is from the 1.0 version, and is not needed to see how I got the idea for the 2.0 version. So I have deleted it :lol:

Last edited: 7 Feb 2011
  10. Vaptor-x

This update is from my Version 1.0, I am keeping it, so that you can see some of my previous work. :)

Update 4:

It has become time for one more update on my mod :D
    I could have made more parts, if I had not drilled some holes in the wrong place :duh: I had to remake the plats :wallbash:

The parts i have made for this post, is the front plates, where the two 120mm fans will be placed, all has been made by hand, more or less :naughty:

As i will be saving the holes for the fans and the waves out by hand, i need a sketch, for that i will be using my cad drawing, and print it out in scale 1:1, to use it as an template.

[​IMG]

To mount the template on to the plate, i have to cut the holes out in the paper, for that i will be using a blade from hobby knife. I cut my self in that process :waah:

[​IMG]

Now i am ready to mount the template on to the alu plate, for that i am using masking tape :)

[​IMG]

The saving part, toke a long time to do, as i have to be very careful not to saw wrong, especially the waves :jawdrop:
    Both the front plates will be done this way.

[​IMG]

Here is the front plate, that will be visible from the outside, i think the waves came out loking fine, i still have not made any fine sanding of the plate. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now for the mounting of the plates on to the case, as i will be mounting two 120mm fans in one side of the case, i have to make some spacers in the other side, for that i found an old 120mm fan, and made some cuts with my proxxon :dremel:

[​IMG]

A look at the inside plate fits perfectly :D

[​IMG]

Heres the plates mounted on to the case, look at the wave's, now picture them with blue light, and the fans in clear plast with blue light :naughty:
    Remember that the surface is not sanded ore polished yet... Hope you like my work :)

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Vaptor-x

Update 5:

Resewed a box of freebie's, material for building :D

[​IMG]

The box contains Wet sanding paper; each 2m of grain 400, 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000, also polishing equipment :clap:
    The box i provided by Værktøjs Centeret Fyn www.vcfyn.dk
    Thanks for the supply's :thumb:

[​IMG]

Got a lot of stainless steel bolts in the sizes M3, M4 and M5, also some nut's for the bolts.
    The bolts are provided by TJ-Bolte http://www.tj-bolte.dk
    Thanks for the bolts :D

[​IMG]

Got some aluminum profiles from another generous company, it is 2,5M of 6mm alu pipe, 5M of alu u-profile 12x8x12mm and 5M og L-profile 20x10mm.
    These aluminum profiles are provided by Sanistål http://www.sanistaal.dk/

Thanks for the support of my mod :dremel:

[​IMG]

Had some fun with two LED lights in the front of the case, just to see the waves with light, i think it looks really good, what do you all say :baby:
    It is not the final look...

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

The blue light looks good with the wave cuttings.

13. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Really good work with the cutting!
    The sad thing is people that did the same thing with some machine would get more attention :/

Really good work man!

14. Vaptor-x

Your right that machines do get a lot more attention, it looks more expensive, then manual cutting... :eyebrow:
    But i think manual work is more impressive, here you really can see what the modder is cable of, then work that is done by a machine, every one can order some CNC work. But i must admit, that CNC work looks absolute fantastic, when there is made an advanced look.

For this mod i wanted to test my skills with manual work, my next mod will have CNC work, as there is a very advanced layout on the cabinet :naughty:

15. el2k

el2k Modder

Second that. Incredible manual work man!

16. Vaptor-x

This update was deleted, as it don't have any function on the 2.0 version of the WAVE

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Vaptor-x

This update is from my Version 1.0, I am keeping it, so that you can see some of my previous work.

Update 7

Added Feb 17 2011:
    Shortned this update a little, as it dont have any function on my 2.0 version of the WAVE. But I am keeping it, so that you can see how it looked on my 1.0 version.

This time i will show you how i have mounted the GTS140 in my case, originally i wanted to use an GTX140, but due to the minimum space that are available, i went with an GTS140 in steed. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now for the mounting of the radiator, on to the brackets :D
    First a view of the front
    Then a rear view, i think it looks good :thumb:

[​IMG]

Also a view from the front in the case, fits perfectly :D

[​IMG]

The end mounting of the brackets :thumb:

[​IMG]

I think the end result came out pretty good :clap:

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

19. Vaptor-x

Update 9

Got some Hardware today :D

First the CPU; AMD Phenom II 965 BE 125w and 8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 :naughty:

[​IMG]

Next i have mounted the CPU in to the socket...

[​IMG]

Now for the power supply... A look at the packing of the Corsair HX850, enough power to fuel the WAVE :hehe:

[​IMG]

Lets open the box, inside we have two bags, one containing the power supply, the other one containing all the cables for the power supply :D

[​IMG]

The Corsair HX850 looks great, a shame i have to hide it...

[​IMG]

The Samsung HD not much to see, but its there

[​IMG]

That was all for this update.
    Because i have been ill this week :eyebrow:, i haven't got anything done on my project to show you, nor have i ordered the parts i wanted to use this weekend, but as there still is some plate work to done, i will have an update later this weekend :thumb:

Last edited: 8 Feb 2011
  20. Vaptor-x

This update is from my Version 1.0, I am keeping it, so that you can see some of my previous work.

Update 9.

Added 08 Feb 2011 "As I have changed most of the design in my version 2.0, most of this update is not interesting. I have kept the pictures showing what I made in this update, because I am keeping the design, but not the parts, as they will not fit in the new cabinet frame I have made for my 2.0 version of the Wave."

Look at the end fit of the three cover plates, i think they fit perfectly, and they are also going to hide the ugly case bottom, as they where sopose to do, i use some more time in filing the edges to get them to fit as good as possible :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the pictures I can see that there is still room for some more perfection of the edges, not easily to see in real. I still have not decided which plates are going to colored and which is going to be polished.

That was all for this update, I did use some time for planing the next couple of stages in the project, and made some changes to my design, to get a better fit of all the parts, stay tuned to see what i have up my sleeves :thumb:
    Also got a lot of small parts ordered, so that i hopefully will have a lot of parts, ready for next weekend....

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]