1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project WAVE 2.0 Redesigned 2011; Update 10; 10 May 2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vaptor-x, 28 Feb 2010.

1. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

This update is from my Version 1.0 of the WAVE.

Time for another update. :thumb:

In this update, I will finish the MB tray, well almost... I am going to wait with the exhaust fan until later. :)

To get the MB tray matching the inside of the cabinet, I want to make a Black acrylic plate, to fit the MB tray. So to get correct size, I have fitted the MB tray with some tape, and mounted the MB tray in the cabinet, and made some lines to see how big the acrylic plate should be. :)

[​IMG]

After marking up where I should make the cuts on the acrylic plate, I am going to saw it out, using a hand saw.

[​IMG]

Look it fits :lol:

[​IMG]

Need to make another cut in the acrylic plate, so that I can access the rear side of the MB. Again some tape on the acrylic plate, and mark up where the hole should be.

[​IMG]

Made the hole a little bigger than what I marked up, because of the MB tray has some small bends, that I need to make some cleaners between them and the acrylic plate. But I am ready to use this little saw :dremel:

[​IMG]

After the sawing and filing, the acrylic plate looks like this :)
    So another test mounting to see if everything still looks okay, the hole i made fits perfectly :naughty:

[​IMG]

The MB is mounted using those small ricers, so I have to make some holes in the acrylic plate, so that there is room for those ricers. Earlier I marked up, where those risers is placed, so it is easy for me to see where they are fitted. while everything still is mounted in the cabinet, I take my drill, and drill some small holes in the acrylic plate, from the rear side on the MB tray. This way a get some very accurate holes in the acrylic plate, very easily :thumb:

[​IMG]

The holes have been drilled, and the ricers fit perfectly in the holes of the acrylic plate, just look here... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A look at my computer... Need this project to end, this dont look that good.. :idea:

[​IMG]

Time to fit the I/O shield on to the MB tray. I simply take the MB and line it up, on the ricers, mount the I/O shield on the MB, and then it is very simple, just mark up where i should make the holes. :)

[​IMG]

Again I am going to use this little saw, to make the hole with.

[​IMG]

A little test mounting of the I/O shield, it seems to fit perfectly :naughty:

[​IMG]

When I tried to fit the MB on to the MB tray using the I/O shield, there was not enough room between the MB and I/O shield, so I hat to make some. I took my Proxxon and made a small grove, around the hole, so that the I/O shield could fit in that grove. This made the I/O shield fit even better on the outside of the MB tray :clap:

[​IMG]

I also need to make a hole for the GFX... In order to find the right spot to make the hole on, I found the old rear panel of the MB tray, and fitted it over the I/O shield hole. This way I could mark up, where the GFX holes should by. :hip:

[​IMG]

After I have marked the hole up, I am ready to saw it out, and file the holes edges.

[​IMG]

First look at the rear panel of the MB tray, with the holes for the I/O plate, and GFX. :D

[​IMG]

The MB has been mounted with the I/O shield, and it simply fits perfectly :clap:
    But I also need to make some adjustments where the GFX will be mounted, so again my Proxxon was put into action

[​IMG]

A Look at the GFX from the outside :thumb:

[​IMG]

Some final pics of the MB tray mounted with both the MB and GFX, I think this looks great, It even looks better in real life :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made some great progress this time, the end is near :hehe:

Again I would like to thank my main sponsor Aquatuning, for helping me with much needed parts :thumb:

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  2. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Nice work! :D

3. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

nice work [2]!

4. HoryBP

HoryBP What's a Dremel?

Ahh. Noctua cooler. Motherboard and the rest on a desk. I was in the same situation. So I decided to make a case. Awesome work, man

5. Vaptor-x

Due to some personal stuff, I have been absence from my build the last 5 months :eyebrow:

But now I finally have the time and energy again to continue my build. So I have used this weekend, to rethink my build, and come up with some new ideas, to make it much cooler. I have also bought some new hardware, just to kick-start the project. :D

So in a couple of days I will return with an small update :thumb:

And I must apologize to mu sponsors, because the lack of progress.

6. Vaptor-x

Time for at a small update, just some info and pictures of some new stuff :thumb:

The past two weeks i have been Looking at my mod, to find out what the next step will be. But the more i looked at it, the more i disliked the front part I had made. I attempted to find a solution to the problem, to see if I could make some changes to make it look better.

But as you can see on the picture below, the Reservoir, DVD drive and so on, stick out from the cabinet, and there issent any cabinet structure to build on. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

The only solution to make this mod perfect, is to make a completely new frame. :dremel:
    Now where I have decided to make a scratch build, I can make some other changes to my mod, and try to keep as many of the parts i already have made, this way the overall design will be kept. :D
    The watercooling will be made into a Dual-loop, as there is some Red on the Crosshair IV board, one of the Loops will be with Reed water, and some of the wiring will also be red. The Cabinet will be White/Black, with blue light and fans. :D

To save some time, I will not make any Cad drawing, but only use my hand-drawn sketches.

To kickstart this mod, and motivate myself, I have bought some new hardware, and materials for this mod. :thumb:

First up some nice new memory from G-Skill :naughty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To cool my memory, I got this sweat memory cooler from MIPS :rock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also needed a SSD for my system, so I bought this OCZ SSD :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With these new High-end parts, I just need to upgrade my CPU. :naughty:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also bought some materials for my mod, here is several plates and Alu, Mesh and acrylic.

[​IMG]

For the cabinet frame, I have bought 12M of 12x12mm solid alu profile.

[​IMG]

So for this weekend, my plan is to make the frame for the cabinet, so I hope to have an update ready next week :thumb:

Again I would like to thank my main sponsor Aquatuning, for helping me with much needed parts :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nicksen

All looking good mate :)

8. Vaptor-x

Thanks Nicksen :D

9. Vaptor-x

Its time for another small update :D
    This time there is some modding to look at...

I have made the main part of the cabinet frame, its made in 12x12mm solid Alu square profile. The reason I have made it in such a solid profile, is because I will be be adding several part to the frame, and it is much easier to make threaded holes in a solid square profile. :thumb:
    I have made cabinet 1cm wider, then the original cabinet. I have done this because, there wasn't enough roome in the top, for the Gas shock absorber

The first thing I need to do, is to saw the individual parts for the frame. I will do this by hand, so I need to be careful with my sawing, so that I end up with parts in the correct length :hehe:

[​IMG]

After some hard manual labour, I have the parts for my frame. And is ready for the next step.

[​IMG]

Now its time for some drilling, for that I have bought a Pillar tripod for my drillingmachine. I will use this a lot during this build :hehe:

[​IMG]

After I have drilled my holes, its time for some more manual labour. I will make some threaded M4, so that I can bolt the frame together :thumb:

[​IMG]

With all the holes in place, its time to assemble the frame.

[​IMG]

That it for this small update, not the most interesting, but now I am ready to bolt the other parts on the frame. So my update next week, will be mounting the large radiator in the top of the frame.

Sponsor on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Vaptor-x

Time for another update :clap:
    It took a little longer to make this update, as I have made some small changes, resulting in that I have to make all the parts from scratch for mounting the 360 radiator in the top of the cabinet. :dremel:

I am going to mount the radiator the same way as I did in my 1.0 model ;)
    To make it easier to see what I am making in this update, I have made it in to 4 steps, and took a picture from my 1.0 model, and fitted some red numbers for each step I am going to make.

[​IMG]

In step 1, I will make the support profiles, on to witch I will mount the other parts for radiator mounting.

[​IMG]

So after some sawing and drilling, the support profiles are ready and mounted on to the cabinet frame. :D

[​IMG]

Step 2, will be making the alu plate, that will stop the hot air from the radiator, from being pushed in over the hardware. For that I will use a 1mm alu plate :)

[​IMG]

To start with, I will cut the plate to correct size. The length will be cut in a later update, when I have finalized those details :dremel:

[​IMG]

Now I just need to drill the holes in the alu plate and the support profiles, so that i can mount the alu plate on to the cabinet. :D

[​IMG]

Here is the plate mounted in the cabinet, it starts to look like cabinet again ;)

[​IMG]

Step 3 will be to make a angel profile, on to witch I can mount the radiator on some spacers. I think we dont need to see how I saw and drill those profiles, so here they are finished and mounted in the cabinet.

[​IMG]

Step 4 will be the making of the spacers for mounting the radiator on. First I need to make the holes in the profiles i made in step 3, so that I can mount the spacers in them.

[​IMG]

So after some more sawing and drilling, are I'm ready to mount the spacers. This time I have made it much easier for myself, to mount the spacers then I did last time :hehe:

[​IMG]

Here is the radiator mounted in cabinet :clap:
    The top of the radiator lies just 1mm below the top of the cabinet frame. So when the top plate is attached, the two component wont touch each other :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also took a night picture, to see how the light from the fans looked. :naughty:

[​IMG]

After seeing the lights from the fans, I am thinking of adding some more blue light beneath the radiator, ore some clear acrylic with blue UW effect. But it will be easier to assess later in the build.

That was it for this update, I will try to get another update ready at the end of the week :D

Sponsor on the Projekt Wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Vaptor-x

In this update i will finish the upper guide way for the MB tray, and make the lower compartment where the PSU will be mounted :thumb:

The upper glideway will be made from 3mm black acrylic, I have reused the glideway that I made for the 1.0 model, but there will be made some small changes to it. ;)

[​IMG]

Next I have to find the correct place to divide the acrylic plate, so that i can use the two pieces for my guide way for the MB tray, for the sawing I will be using a handsaw, hard labor, as the cut will be 80cm :lol:

[​IMG]

Next step will be get the large piece fitted in to the cabinet, and get the guide way for the MB finished, but as the black acrylic also will act as the inner wall of the cabinet, I am going to make a bend in to the piece. This way i will get two sides of the inner wall in one pice :hip:

So back to the kitchen table, to make my bend on ;)

[​IMG]

After some heating, I have made a 90 degree angel on the acrylic plate, wary easy on this 3mm plate. :thumb:

[​IMG]

With the holes done, I am ready to mount the acrylic plate in to the cabinet. :naughty:

[​IMG]

The old glideway looked like this, I have to make some changes to it, so that it will fit my new frame.

[​IMG]

As the picture shows, I need to make a new small side glideway, and cut some off the main glideway.

[​IMG]

After some work, I am ready to mount the glideway to the alu plate placed just below the 360 Radiator. :dremel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next parts that I will make, will be some support bars, that will be made from some 12x12mm solid aluminium. They will be mounted on to the frame. They will also serve as mounting points for several parts. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now I just need to make some holes in the cabinet frame, so that I can mount the support bars on to it.

[​IMG]

Next I will two plates, that will function as wall between the inside of the cabinet, and my Waves on the side of the cabinet :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now I just need to make 16 M3 holes in the frame, so that I can mount the two plates. Not the most fun work :rolleyes:
    But the frame starts to look like a cabinet again :clap:

[​IMG]

That was all for this update. :D
    I am working on some ideas for this build, and therefore I need to make some CAD drawings to see how many of them are possible. So my plan for next weeks update, is to get these CAD drawings finished, and hopefully some mooding. :lol:

Sponsor on the WAVE project :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marcos_Viegas likes this.
  12. cta

cta What's a Dremel?

very nice... i just found this thread as my guide... very clear step to step and information....

i wonder... do you really need trailer to carry one tube?! << i just have to laugh about it...

13. Vaptor-x

Jep you need a trailer to carry those alu bars, they are dirty so I dont want them in my car :hehe:

14. cta

cta What's a Dremel?

well you could cut it at metal shop where you bought... then put it into the box...

i just had to bring the paper then metal shop cutted all alumnium angle tube without a charge... ;p

15. Vaptor-x

Well they don't have a Saw in the shop where I bought them, bought them strait from a local metal supplier. They just deliver metal to the local business :)

16. Vaptor-x

Yes it is time for another update :clap:

It only took two weeks, bur it has its reasons ;)
    Originally I only had planed to make a couple of CAD drawings, so that I could get started on making the sheet metal for the cabinet. But as I worked on the drawings, new ideas kept coming. So I ended up to draw the hole cabinet, and went from a low tech to a high tech build. :lol:

Now for the fun part of this post, I will show my new design and its features. There are still some acrylic parts that I haven't made jet, as I am not sure of witch idea I will use. But all the metal parts is finished. :D

First a picture of the front, look at the dual 120mm fan grill, its my own special design for this build :naughty: I think it looks great... :thumb:
    The front is kept simple, no buttons or DVD drive and so on.... My name and the waves are lit up by blue lights. Maybe I will use some UV clear acrylic instead. :hip:

[​IMG]

Here a look at the right side, here I have placed the buttons, Aqua Aquaero and the Alphacool LCD display. Again will the waves be lit up by blue lights, ore some UV clear acrylic instead. :D
    Here I also have made a special designed 140mm Fan grill, in the same look as the dual 120mm fan grill.

[​IMG]

And a look of the front and right side :thumb:

[​IMG]

The left side, is where I have placed the window, so that you can look at all the hardware. You can also see the GTS140 in the right side of the cabinet, where I will mount a 140mm Fan, that will push the hot air out of the cabinet, through the 140mm fan grill in the right cabinet side. There is also a small window, where you can see my SSD through :p

[​IMG]

A look in perspective of the left and front side.

[​IMG]

Now for the top, there is again some waves to look at. Through these waves the tree 120mm fans on my radiator, will get fresh cold air, and push the hot air out of the back of the cabinet. The plan is still, to get the top plate to open, with a push of a button. :dremel:

[​IMG]

This picture shows the top plate, and the I/O panel opened, the same panel as on a Coolermaster 840 :thumb:

[​IMG]

That was my walk through of my design, hope that you like it :p
    I think this idea looks much better, then my version 1.0 of the WAVE.
    Also, I have already made a deal, with a local shop, that are going to laser cut all the 2mm aluminium plates, they will be finished the 16 marts. So next will be all about making threaded M4 holes in cabinet frame :dremel:

Sponsor on the WAVE project :naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Nicksen

Wow... That looks awesome!! :O

18. Vaptor-x

Think it looks a loot better then my first attempt ;)
    Just got some bad news, the laser cut aluminium, will first be ready the 18 marts, and I am not at home next weekend... :waah:

But I can still make a few parts next week, so there will be an update ready for next weekend. :thumb:

19. extreme moder

extreme moder What's a Dremel?

I was watching your project from the beginning, it was a pretty tough job, but left the wonderful design. :thumb:

Congratulations!

20. Vaptor-x

Glad that you like my design :D

Just finalised my idea for mounting my two HDD and how to air cool them, just have to make some sketches, so that I can start work on it. :dremel: