1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project WAVE 2.0 Redesigned 2011; Update 10; 10 May 2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vaptor-x, 28 Feb 2010.

1. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Nice work ! The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the wavy line cutouts you have planned. You could probably incorporate the OC Cool logo into the wavy lines and that would make it look pretty cool though. I could illustrator it for you if you would like? Actually, I offer that service up to everyone, love making vector graphics.

2. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

Was thinking of incorporating some kind of tekst/logo in to the waves on the side of the cabinet. But couldn't find a proper good idea :blush:

You say "OC Cool logo" what's that? :confused:

3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I looked again at the post, I see it is alpha cool, the logo just kind of looks like it says OC, but I see now. Either way I thought you could incorporate that into the waves and it would give them a cooler look.

4. Vaptor-x

Actually a good idea, there is only one small problem. I spoke with the metal shop, where I am getting the sheet metal lasercut, and they have already made them. :rolleyes:
    So a cool logo, must wait until my next mod :D

5. Vaptor-x

Called the machine shop, to tjek if my parts where ready for pick-up last Friday, and where tolled that they where ready. But when I got there, they where not ready, in fact they had'dent cut them yet. :wallbash:
    So I am hoping to get them in a couple of days, I had a lot of work planed, so I am stock at this moment, as I dont have any parts ore materials to build whit. :duh:

6. Vaptor-x

Just a small news update :D

My laser-cut parts has finally arrived :clap:
    I just placed to of the plates beside the frame, still need to make a lot of threaded M4 holes for all does plates. :dremel:

[​IMG]

But now you can get an idea of how it will in the end ;)

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Vaptor-x

Time for another small update :thumb:

This weekends work resulted in 44 threaded M4 holes, for mounting my laser-cut sheet metal. To do that I had to dissemble the frame, so that I could drill all does holes. A very tiresome work, but it had to be done ;)

Here I made the 44 M4 holes :dremel: I think the measurement took just as long, as it dit to drill all the holes :sigh:

[​IMG]

After all the threaded M4 holes is made, I just have to assemble the frame again, so that the sheet metal can be mounted on to the frame. As I did not have the correct bolts, this is only a temporary mount of the plates, as bolts couldn't be tightened. But I think the result can be seen anyway :D
    And yes all my M4 holes line perfectly up to the holes in the laser-cut sheet metal :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I made the drawings for the sheet metal, I made all the plates 0.5mm wider on all the sides. As the frame is made by hand, there is room for some inaccuracies in the frame size. This way I can grind the sheet metal ends down, so that they fit the frame perfectly, but this is first possible, when I get the other bolts next week. :hip:

I also took some night photos, with some light in does waves :naughty:
    The final lighting will be less bright, as I have planned to use some Blue acrylic plate, the is lit up. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was all for this update, not much but the amount of work was big :thumb:

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Vaptor-x

Finally I have some time to make and Update :D
    The pictures have been sitting on my desktop for past week and ½, just waiting for some free time to make this update. :sigh:

In my last update, I hat only mounted my sheet metal loosely to the frame, as I had made the sheet metal 0.5mm wider on all the sides, just to be safe then sorry if they did not fit perfectly. As started to mount the plates, it looked like it that it was not necessary to make them 0.5mm bigger. So after filing all the sides down by 0.5mm, I got a perfect fit. :thumb:

First up is the bottom plate.

[​IMG]

Next is the two sides, still think the waves looks cool :hip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the bottom and the two sides mounted on the frame, you can really see how got they fit. There are no gaps :D
    Hope that it is visible on this close up:

[​IMG]

Next mounting the front:

[​IMG]

As the sides an the front are the most visible, I am really glad, that they fit absolutely perfect :clap:

[​IMG]

And a final shoot in profile ;)

[​IMG]

After seeing the sheet metal mounted with does stainless steel bolts, I will attempt to get those bolts polished. Think that it will great on the sides, when they are white with high gloss. :hip:

Hopefully I can get some free time this weekend, to continue my work, and get some more of those laser cut sheet metal mounted on the frame. :thumb:

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Apr 2011
  9. Vaptor-x

Back from holiday :D

Unfortunately I did not manage to make and update before I vent on holiday, due to lack of time. But better late than newer :hehe:

In this update I will mount the inside panel in the front. Sounds easy, but it took a little more work then planned (mostly my own fault :duh:)

Here you can see the inside panel. Somehow I forgot to update the CAD drawing I sent to laser cutting... :sigh:
    In the top of the plate, there are missing some mounting holes, and cut outs for some other parts. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there are both the angle bars and the frame in the top. And on the plate, there are not made any holes for them. So that is going to give me some more work... :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Well after some work, I managed to correct my mistake :)
    I placed one of the bolt holes in the wrong place, so a small correction was needed, luckily the bolt will cover this mistake ;)

[​IMG]

Here I have mounted the plate in the top and bottom, but I still need to make some spacers, so that the plate can be secured on the two sides. :D

[​IMG]

The spacers will be made from some 12x12mm solid alu bars, the same ones that I use for the rest of the frame. I will have to make one M4 hole and one 4.5mm hole in each spacer, that took some time to make them :yawn:

[​IMG]

After some drilling, the spacers are ready for mounting on the frame :thumb:

[​IMG]

Now I only hat to mount the sheet metal again, so that finished result can be seen. :hip:

[​IMG]

A little closeup of the finished result, as you can see the sheet metal fits perfectly together :clap:
    It starting look like a cabinet :thumb:

[​IMG]

Here you can see the two angle bars mounted, they fit the holes I made in the inside panel pretty well :dremel:

[​IMG]

That was all for this update, weekend is in a few days, so I my plan is to get some more work done on the WAVE :D

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Vaptor-x

Time for another update :D

First some goodies from my sponsor Aquatuning :thumb:

[​IMG]

Here a few parts sponsored by Aquatuning :D

[​IMG]

Then a few parts from Phobya :)

[​IMG]

I also bought some parts :naughty:

[​IMG]

The last ithem I bought is this AC aquaero 4.00 :clap:

[​IMG]

I also have some modding ready for this update :dremel:
    The frame for the LCD Display, DVD and AC aquaero 4.00, is what I have planned this time.

Here you can see some parts mounted on two plates that I had lasercutted.

[​IMG]

Mounting this frame, will require a supporting frame bolted to the cabinet frame. For this I will use some angle profile.

[​IMG]

Here is a better picture of the laser cutted plates, and the angle profiles that I made.

[​IMG]

Now I only need to mount the DVD frame on to the cabinet frame. :)

[​IMG]

A small finishing photo of the mounted displays, think it looks pretty good :hip:

[​IMG]

The two fans I got from Aquatuning, is of another type then the two I originally mounted in the front. Here you can see the two fans that I originally mounted in the front, unfortunately they make an annoying resonance.

[​IMG]

Therefore I got those two new fans from Auatuning, they dont make any annoying sounds, and looks okay, although they dont have any light in the middle of the fans.

[​IMG]

Well that is all for this update, hope to get some more work done in the weekend :dremel:
    Again a huge thanks to my main sponsor Aquatuning

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Very nice design. This looks great. I'll have to keep my eyes on this. It also makes me wish I had access to laser cutting that didn't cost a fortune.

12. Vaptor-x

Actually laser cutting isn't that expensive :cooldude:

13. Vaptor-x

Time for another Update :thumb:

This time I will make the cover plate for the DVD rack.

For that I am going to need some sheet metal, I had this plate laser cutted. Now it only needs a couple of bends, so that it will fit the cabinet :cooldude:

[​IMG]

To make the bends, I bought this hobby bending tool. Perfect for the small hobby bends :D

[​IMG]

Making the first bends took a little time, because I want to be sure, that all bends are correct angle.

[​IMG]

The last bends took some time, as I had to be sure, that the cover plate would fit the cabinet perfect. But I think it looks good :thumb:

[​IMG]

One of the other parts I also want to refit, so that it fits the new added parts. As you can see, the top plate, that I have mounted beneath the 360 Radiator, dont fit, as it hits the DVD rack.

[​IMG]

I also needed to make a small bend in the top plate, to make room for the water hoses iin the 360 radiator. :dremel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well the cover plate still needs mounting, think it looks pretty well to my design :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I only need to refit the acrylic plate, so that it covers the the open side in the cover plate :dremel:

[​IMG]

After some sawing, the acrylic plate fits perfect. :thumb:

[​IMG]

That is all for this update, hope that you like the result :thumb:

Sponsors on the Wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

really starting to take shape. more more more.. love it.

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice.

16. Vaptor-x

Starts to take shape, but there is still a long way, before it is finished :lol:

17. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

very beautiful work!