1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Wet Rarity - 16th MAY 2013 - Revisited, Revamped, Retubed, still unfinished.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Wing Zero, 6 Mar 2012.

1. iRaiden

iRaiden New Member

Can't wait for the next set up updates!

2. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

That is the reason i'm using vinyl rather than paint. preserving the warranties. the vinyl may not look that brilliant due to my cutting blade not being that sharp (and i can't find the pack of replacement blades) I could have sunk the vinyl into the screw holes instead of cutting them out, but that would probably require the screws being removed first, and i don't want to put the oring seal in jeopardy. it's one of those things that you won't really see, but it's nice to know that its had some effort in being different to a normal block. Was debating putting some mirror acrylic on the lower card as a backplate, so you could see the upper block in reflection...

I want the flooring piece to cover over the power supply, to make a case partition. that way, air comes in through the hard drive cage and can only go into the PSU from there, not into the rest of the case. the airflow from the rad fans and rear case fans should be fine for motherboard airflow. I'm debating about cutting grooves in the partition, to set in the front panel cables, then covering over with white vinyl to reduce the amount visible. or heatshrinking the wires in purple and having them visible, but clipped to the floor in a tidy way.

Either way, i'm going to have to remake the partition, since i discovered that a previous coolant spill soaked into one board, destroying a corner piece. it's a setback, but not too bad, since it was about 5mm short and would have needed to be remade anyway.

Currently, with the anime convention Amecon mere days away, my focus has been directed more at making assorted cosplay costumes and building/repairing cosplay props. work on Wet Rarity will resume in the near future, but as it stands, there's an Excalibur that needs finishing off first

3. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I'm terrible at keeping track of project logs. this is yet another "i did stuff and forgot to document the process" posts i'm afraid. To be honest, work stopped cause of lack of money, lack of materials, lack of time and a lack of replacement hardware (so, the usual culprits then)

Where did we leave off... July 2012! woah. anyway, I had just rebuilt Wet Rarity after a cooling leak, with a 2nd 560ti card in SLI. in the space between then and now, the other modded pc (Nerf Vortex) had a leak on the quad rad. a new quad rad was installed... that leaked too and is currently being RMA'ed still (after being bounced back between Scan and EK) and to top it off, the GTX470 failed on that too after i failed to secure a plug on the top of the graphic card's waterblock.

So, Nerf Vortex now has a pair of GTX560ti's in SLI installed in it (so the person i've borrowed it to can still use it, ain't I nice)

so, what about Wet Rarity... well, while it was in a working condition, i was happy with the graphics power of SLI 560ti compared to the single 560ti... when the game supported it. otherwise it seemed like the effort for SLI was pointless so when the problem with Nerf Vortex happened. I debated on either getting a midrange card (and a new waterblock) to go into that PC, or taking out one of the 560ti to use in that while i still ran on the other.

Enter the Bit-tech Marketplace, where I managed to get a very good deal on a GTX670 and a waterblock from 2 sellers (thank you to Maple and HackJoe for that)

First thing i noticed, the GTX670 is TINY, which did present a good opportunity to rethink the watercooling loop.

[​IMG]
    the PSU partition was built with foamcore board and plasticard sheets, after discovering that if i used a piece of foamcore board for the vertical plate, I couldn't put the side panel back on due to how the side panel window is mounted. the hole for the power cables is there because that's where the old 560ti's came out to. since the 670 is shorter, the cables now have to go on a diagonal path to plug into the card cause straight down, there's a PSU in the way.

[​IMG]
    I turned the 240 rad around so the outlets faced into the main cavity of the case, at the bottom. the fans were flipped over so they suck air through the radiator now. since the fin count is so dense along with the Silent Eagle fans not having good air pressure, I hope that they have better performance trying to suck air through it instead. as for the loop itself, it now goes Res>pump>gpu>240>cpu>200>res.

[​IMG]
    despite my best efforts using gentle curves for fittings, my Mayhems Aurora has lost it's sparkle, almost looking black at times. Mind you, i have used it for longer than the 6 months that was recommended, and it has been drained and refilled at least 4 times. i've debated about draining and refilling with brand new aurora, pastel or just leaving it.

[​IMG]
    I decoded on how the front of the case will look, with a 3 slot opening for the reservoir, the other blanking plates will have plasticard sheet covers to remove the individual panel look

[​IMG]
    one of the design features was the exposed tube reservoir, with a curved, diamond pattern mesh panel around it. well after enough procrastination, i made it. once again, foamcore and plasticard and it's been glued together with hotglue (i'm a cosplay prop maker, hotglue is never far away) it's not 100% finished, as there's a couple of plasticard panels that need to be made for the top and bottom blanking panels, and that will cover over the exposed foamcore edge.

[​IMG]
    Finally, a look with the side panel on. i'm undecided if a graphic should be applied to the PSU cover, since you can see a lot of it in the window.
    I'm also not sure on the final placement of the 'cutie mark' as you can see, it's currently on the roof of the psu cover, and is visible from the window. however it could also go on the front of the case

Last, since the PSU cover has been made, i've been able to fix the lighting strip into place properly, so here's some shots with the lights on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, despite taking FAR too long than most project logs, i'm still happy with it (even if part of me still wants to shelve it for a 900D) and it's still unfinished. It's kinda hard to work on it and still keep it operational, as any 'downtime' for the PC has problems with other things that i do (such as World of Tanks matches)
    but the biggest problem has always been lack of money to buy materials. along with the repair costs needed for Nerf Vortex, i also had a large repair bill for the car, not to mention the Anime conventions that i go to are not cheap either.

But i swear i'm going to get this thing finished to 100%. I've got a good idea for what i'm doing for the roof panel now, so that's really the last step of the mod. let's hope it doesn't take me almost a year to finish that too.

boiled_elephant likes this.