1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Winter Night Jan. 21, Mesh

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sloth, 31 Dec 2006.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hello all, this is my first mod so bear with me! The theme is white and blue with a, well, wintery look. It's based on a simple Rosewill case and will house my current components (sorry, no shiny new stuff, but there is a new GFX card coming to stock at the local shop!). I'm low on cash ($100 total budget, and hopefully less) but have big dreams! So, here goes!

The chassis of the case can be seen here
    [​IMG]

Already work has begun cutting out a side window as you can see here:
    [​IMG]

Also shown there is the bondo filling in the little hand grip thing that was really annoying..

A close up of the bondo on the other panel
    [​IMG]

Some edges that were cut with the skilsaw needed a bit of filler but ti's all good.. I think I did well for my first filler experience (nasty stuff really, smells terrible)

and here is my total workspace, sad and small but perfect in my opinion
    [​IMG]

Not much work has been done yet, but I'm off to get more done with primering everything from side panel to chassis!

Lastly, since I'm having fun with the new camera, he's my modding helper!
    [​IMG]

Comments, criticism, ideas, whatever input you've got is welcome!

Last edited: 22 Jan 2007
  2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Got some priming done!

Pictures are here:
    [​IMG]

The bondo is a bit rough, but I'll fix that
    [​IMG]

And the HDD cage got a bit messed up, the can needed some shaking I guess
    [​IMG]

My first modding injury! My little finger got frozen to my compressed air can (I use it to blow paint away while sanding)
    [​IMG]

Until next time!

Last edited: 15 Jan 2007
  3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The windowed side panel has been fully painted now, though no work shots were taken here's the panel on the case

[​IMG]

Due to the inside being cutout the panel has lost all structural stability and has warped, it now takes both hands and some pressure from my knees to get it on, but I can deal with that, the acrylic should help.

Also, I cutout the front mesh, it's ugly, and restricts air flow by a lot. I plan to pretty much follow the air cooling setup which I describe in my air cooling guide here

[​IMG]

A total view with front fan, side panel, and front bezel is below. You may have noticed the HDD cage is gone. It's currently drying from it's first coat of white, the other side panel is primed and going to be painted tomorrow.

[​IMG]

And of course, the last picture of the post is the fun one, here's my current AMS case

[​IMG]

Until tomorrow everyone! Comments always welcome :D

4. JBrinley

JBrinley What's a Dremel?

awesome work
    paint looks great
    I have that AMS case too, lol :D

5. Raziekiel

Raziekiel What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far! Keep it up =D Can't wait to see whats next!

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Thanks both of you! All just painted by rattle can, all those guides that say many thin coats know what their talking about after all...

It's turned out to be a pretty good case for me, just not big or moddable enough for this project, hehe.

And Raz, more bondo will be coming soon, I cant leave the front bezel the way it is :D

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The chassis is primed now and the HDD cage is half white. I went through two cans of the same brand white paint.. both clogged after 30 seconds of spraying so I'm off to get more today. Also, a bunch of stuff is coming from performance-pcs.com tomorrow, expect big updates tomorrow!

I haven't gotten much done because it is snowy, I'll get some pictures for you all to see ;)

[​IMG]

Yep, that's snow :D 2 inches onto the previous 3 makes for more school closures and a 6 day weekend. Unfortuantely my order is sitting in Redmond and the snow might slow it down to tomorrow.. at least I can still paint with a small space heater keeping temperatures high enough for the paint to dry. Yes, that chassis is indeed painted white half way!

Last edited: 16 Jan 2007
  8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

UPS finally got my stuff delivered (after spilling cat food on the garage floor when they dropped it off), and my am I glad to have them, as now more and more updates will follow since it's too cold to paint seriously I'll be stuck messing with lights and stuff...

anyway here's what I got!

[​IMG]

And now I can say I finally own a Lian Li (1/8" Alu :eeek: ) :hehe:

Last edited: 22 Jan 2007
  9. Raziekiel

Raziekiel What's a Dremel?

Woot! I know I'd love to own a Lian Li one day hehe. I know how the snow feels, I just got power back after 4 days.

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nice work so far, looking forward to more :thumb:

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Painted chassis, mesh on panel

Thanks for the interest!

To show that I'm not just sleeping in this weekend I've got a bit of an update:

First off, the white on the chassis is done. It's not totally dry and the blue still needs to be done tomorrow, but it's a pretty big deal...

[​IMG]

Next, though, I made a little mesh to fit into the side panel of the case (no plexi yet sorry) that I think looks pretty sweet so there's two pictures of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found that this mesh it a little dense though, next time I'll try mnpctech's Modder's Mesh... also, it's really hard to cut unless your Dremel is going 20k rpm or higher....

Plus a fun teaser, I've managed to find a good technique for peripheral painting (after messing up the first time) and will at some random time paint my mouse/keyboard. The speakers even if I feel like it...

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nice, I like the white, and I don't like white electronics. I agree with the mesh being a little bit dense.
    :thumb:

13. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I think this has a lot of potential, hopefully you'll prove me right :thumb:

And although it's a bit dense, for some reason I like it, Modders Mesh starts to be a bit over-used.

Keep up the sleepless nights and good work!

Janne

P.s. I'd watch my back when that demon cat is around...

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I aim to please :D

@Darkened, Thanks, it's good to hear from a skilled modder as yourself! Never really looked close at other meshes, figured it was just as common as any other, maybe a trip to Home Depot would better for originality, hehe (that's the 'nice' cat btw :worried: )

15. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Looks nice!

Keep up the good work! :)

16. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

nice, keep it up as otheres have said lots of potential look foward to seeing it!

17. galimim

galimim What's a Dremel?

Looks cool keep it that way

18. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

yeah, I think this way the mesh will look better, maybe just because it's a bit more dense.

19. matt.slysnake

matt.slysnake Banned

Paint looks nice, nice work, one day I will want to mod a case : P but i think it will have to be after I build my first PC ; D

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

*grumble* work has been delayed to inability to get wire of a thin enough gauge... finished case painting, needs touch up, but I guess the only thing left is bondo work on the front bezel :sigh:

The stuff is really annoying as it's been hitting a high of 50F lately, and bondo needs a minimum of 50F to be any good at it's job as I learned with the side panels (not smooth, air pockets, etc) but that's all I can do, and that's what shall be done... after my Spanish project :hehe:

Look for updates tomorrow, but expect Tuesday after a trip to Radio Shack