1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Wood Case - August 31 > FINAL PICS

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by talladega, 16 May 2009.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Because I will be off to college this fall I needed a new case as my current one is too big and very unpractical. So I decided to make a case out of wood using Oak and MDF.

[​IMG]

I came up with this design in Sketchup.

So then I went to the workshop to get started.

[​IMG]

Plenty of oak here. :D

[​IMG]

Some of the 1/4" MDF is had leftover from building my desk.

I forgot to take pics of all the first cuts I made but I was concentrating and trying not to mess up or chop off my hand.

After lots of test pieces making sure I got the measurements for the slots right I made the cuts for the frame and the panels and fitted them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is all the panels in place.

[​IMG]

Here I am holding the top panel in place. It will be screwed into place.

I started this log late so I will take up a few posts quickly to catch up on this.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2009
    notatoad likes this.
  2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Continued..

[​IMG]

These are 0.5"x0.5" pieces I cut. Can get pretty scary cutting such tiny pieces in the table saw.

[​IMG]

These two pieces are what the motherboard tray will attach to. They will be placed vertically in the case.

[​IMG]

Like that.

[​IMG]

These are for my DVD drive. It has a spot for a second drive which I eventually decided not to do so later on you will see it chopped down.

[​IMG]

I made cardboard pieces to get a sense of how it will fit in there.

[​IMG]

This thin piece will be a cover for the DVD drive so it looks nicer.

[​IMG]

I fitted a spare drive into my holder to see how it worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now how am I going to attach all my pieces in my case together?

[​IMG]

Back to the hard drive holders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how the drive will sit in there. That's only one side of the holder though.

[​IMG]

Here you can see parts cut out. The drives will sit in there so it's easy to take out or put in.

But how do all those pieces get held together?

[​IMG]

:idea: Threaded inserts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not just for that but for pretty much everything in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 May 2009
  3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Continued...

After some thought and talking to my dad I decided to use the inserts to hold the frame together as well. It was a good idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a center punch and my small drill to get the starter holes drilled then used the drill press to finish it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's everything all held together.

That's all i've got for now. The next update I will post will have a large gap from this one. I forgot to bring the camera to the workshop when I was working. :wallbash:

As of now all the pieces have been sanded. Holes have been cut in the MDF. The Oak has all been oiled and the MDF got it's final coat of primer on yesterday.

But I hope to remember to take more pics for the rest of this log to make it a half decent project log.

Oh and how about this ghetto sound system we've got in our garage.

[​IMG]

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I did some painting today. I forgot to take pics before I started though. oops....

The MDF is all being painted red with some nice Krylon Fusion paint.

[​IMG]

:thumb:

I didn't want to just have a plain finish so a week or so ago I did some testing and came up with a way to give a nice finish. I spray a light coat over the piece then use a clean cloth and wipe it down vertically. I let it sit for 20 or 30 seconds and then I finish painting the piece. It leave a nice finish when I am done. Here are the pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a little mess up on the first piece I painted.

[​IMG]

That's how it looked.

[​IMG]

That's how it is supposed to look.

Oh well. I will redo that piece.

As for the oak. It's all oiled and everything.

Here's all the pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this USB and Audio ports off a junk case I have and make a little holder for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will go on the front panel.

[​IMG]

I have a oak piece cut to go infront of it.

[​IMG]

Here is the piece that will cover the DVD drive.

[​IMG]

I made a somewhat of a rad grill to go on the front panel. It was just one solid piece then I used 80mm hole saw and then cut it down the center and rounded the corners. I have some mesh that will go behind it as well.

[​IMG]

Here is the side panel with the cutout for the window.

[​IMG]

I am making a motherboard tray from acrylic. I have been waiting for some motherboard standoffs to arrive in the mail and I got them today so I should be able to get more done this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last two are the switches and feet I will use on the case.

Finally. Heres the drill press I have to use.

[​IMG]

:D It's very nice.

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

wow. looking pretty slick so far, good work. you should sand that red down a bit smoother and do a second coat, krylon fusion can give a really nice semi-gloss finish.

how strong are the joints you've used those little set screws on? they don't look like they would hold very well (they look nice though).

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Got wood! got skills! got tools! got good design!

Sneaked it in here when I was busy. Very nice start. This I will watch.

john

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Looking good.

Those aren't set screws, they are threaded inserts. They allow him to embed metal screw threads into the wood. This lets him use machine screws to attach pieces together instead of wood screws or glue. I use them for parts that I remove a lot like side/back panels. Very clean and strong.

Take a close look at the last photo in post #2.

Nice.

Last edited: 17 May 2009
  8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Thanks guys.

slipperyskip is correct. They are threaded inserts. More specifically for 8-32 screws which I have like over 9000 of them.

When it's all screwed together it is quite strong actually. I decided to go that way because assembling is much easier and if I ever need to take it apart it is just screws I take out instead of nails or whatever.

The pieces for the frame are I think 1.75" wide and 0.75" thick.

As for the red paint, besides the one piece that messed up I wanted a brushed type look to it. It gives it a nice looking finish and if there are any imperfections they don't show up very easily. But it will all get a second coat and then I will do the other side and finally I will tape it and do the edges.

I forgot to mention and you may have noticed that there is no cutout for the back of the motherboard yet. It's because I had to order standoffs and just got them today so I need to finish the mobo tray and then mount the mobo from our old pc so I can get the cuts correctly and figure a way to hold the cards in place. I think I may steal the idea that was used in the Phinix Cube project log.

BTW I got my standoffs today and they seem rather large. I got them from Performance PC's. They are made by AC Ryan. They came in a bag of 10 and the hex shaft part of them are 20mm long. The ones I am using in my current case are only about 10mm. I've never seem them this big. Is this the normal size?

EDIT: These are the threaded inserts I used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200286658229

Last edited: 17 May 2009
  9. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

wow thats awesome.. looks fantastic.

10. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Looking really cool. You have some awesome wood skills. How big is that case?

Laz

11. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Awesome! Could u tell us how you made those grooves in your oak legs (to mount the MDF panels)? If im talking crap (could be, becaus im from Holland), i mean this pic:

[​IMG]

12. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Looking good! How heavy is it?

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Thanks,

Von Lazuli, it's ~19" long, ~19" high and ~8"wide. I don't remember exact dimensions.

BlackWhizz, I used a table saw with a regular blade. I set the height of the blade to the depth of the slot and set the fence to the right distance. Made about 4 passes to get a 1/4" slot. For the end I use the saw again and set the blade height and fence so after cutting a number of directions it left that notch.

DAVEtheRAVE, I'm not so sure how heavy it is. I suspect around 8 - 12lbs or so. If I remember, when I have it totally done I will weigh it before putting hardware in and after hardware is in.

14. Cigano

Cigano \O/

I love cases made of wood, I have a project I did in the aluminum structure and the outside of wood and more fine!
    Congratulations and good luck!
    Will serve as inspiration for many!

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

UPDATE:

Been busy with shooting and laziness so not a whole lot of progress but some.

All pieces are painted and cut.

Here's pictures. And again like usual no in-between progress pictures. I always forget!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hard drive mounts actually worked out very good. I am not totally sure if I will have room for 4 fans on the radiator or just 2 I will find out sometime.

[​IMG]

Front view. You can see of the left is the switches. I have a little bracket made of wood holding them. They toggles dont stick out too far but it actually works very good.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the bracket. Currently I'm just using threaded inserts as nuts, but I will buy some 8-32 nuts to use instead.

[​IMG]

Closer view of the switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DVD drive mount. I have made it so the drive slide in from the front of the case and rests on aluminum angle pieces and then screwed into place. It is very easy to mount the drive because of the aluminum the drive sits on it's at perfect level for mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the vertical supports for the motherboard tray. Motherboard tray is cut but the edges need to be sanded and polished.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the top of the case. There is the screws that hold the motherboard tray supports and the hard drive holders. There is also a hole for a 120mm fan to cool down my sound card which seems to get very warm.

[​IMG]

I made this bracket thing to mount my water pump on. Has a hole in back so the bottom of pump can stay cooler.

[​IMG]

It will be mounted on the hard drive holder like in the above picture.

[​IMG]

Heres a thing a made in sketchup a while ago to show how the pump will be mounted.

[​IMG]

Heres how the card sit in the motherboard but how will they mount?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stole idea from Phinix Cube! :D

The cards stay very secure.

I bought some metal mesh stuff to put infront of the fans. I've seen people make them into dome shaped and I figured it would look nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a cutoff of a metal pipe so I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the pipe to secure the mesh and used a hammer.

The pipe was smaller diameter than 120mm but I figured it worked OK.

[​IMG]

Made one for top, back and front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to test fit the mesh and the wooden grill thingys I made. Heres pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one I am holding the cover for the DVD drive.

Thats all I've got. Camera battery died so I didn't take any more pics. I did get some other stuff done though. I got feet mounted on the bottom. You may have noticed the case is raised off the table saw like it's floating. I also did some wiring. I made a power cable for the video card. Wired up the fan switch and some power cable for lights, pump etc.. Everything is sleeved. Still need to do more wiring and sleeving but my computer is still in use so that will be done when I switch cases.

I would your opinions on something though.

I have some LEDs for Power, Reset and HDD but I am not sure where I should mount them

[​IMG]

I was thinking of two different ways.

[​IMG]

Between the switches or

[​IMG]

Above the DVD drive.

What do you think? Somewhere else I should put them? Or maybe I shouldn't have them at all?

16. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Looking good Tal, :thumb:. I like em vertical.

17. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks good mate i like

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Go vertical on the LEDs.

Great work on the rest :)

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

ok vertical LEDs it will be.

thanks guyzz

La carotte d l'o likes this.
  20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

sorry for lack of updates and progress pics. I've been very lazy and very busy this summer.

I am moving out to go to college in 2 days so I took some time to take the finished pictures.

Here they are....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bits Power has the BEST fittings in the world! I am using the full version of this as my background.

[​IMG]

I had to take apart my case a week or two ago and got my CPU out this time and lapped it. Here are the results:

[​IMG]

Next project will be a stock for my target rifle. Not a computer case. This case will do me until I'm done school.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 1 Sep 2009