1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project X-PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shinx, 7 Nov 2008.

1. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

[​IMG]

The idea behind this project is to produce an 'HTPC' that includes XBOX 360 gaming. The only case I could find with suitable dimensions and features for this is the NZXT Rogue.

It will include a second psu for the XBOX.

First cut to the case 'firewall' is for the xbox 360 motherboard tray -

[​IMG]

Rear cut for 1U psu -

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Feb 2010
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Hmm, interesting idea. I am liking where this is going.

3. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

cool idea, but you're going to need a lot of cooling for both a pc and a 360, they get bloody hot

4. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

Re cooling - the 360 and the htpc will rarely be both powered on at the same time. It will also network with other pcs in the house.

Heres the xbox motherboard tray with the sides removed and painted black to match the case. The supports will position between the fans on either side of the chassis.

[​IMG]

Test fit -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above the Xbox will be a Blu-ray player, below a multimedia card reader...

Last edited: 29 Nov 2008
  5. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

After the test fit I realised the xbox and its optical drive needed more space than I had allowed. Doh! Newbies! I repositioned the optical bay right to the top of the case.
    The existing triple NZXT bay assembly was split so I could use their upper optical bay and the floppy bay seperately.

[​IMG]

The upper bay required a small trim to the lower right rear to allow for the xbox heat shroud.

[​IMG]

The horizontal brace for the tray supports wasnt used in the end as the mobo tray seemed pretty solid once I had bolted everything up.

One of the two NZXT HDD drive bays was installed on the left hand side case floor just inboard of the existing front mount USB and audio assembly.

DataPro 12" panel mount cables feed the DVI and CAT6 to the rear of the case.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2008
  6. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

The xbox motherboard was then installed in its modified tray.

[​IMG]

Note brace on left hand side. I had removed the tray sides for cooling reasons but I decided to brace it to help the tray keep its shape.

Then installed it in the case using screw mounts so i could remove the whole thing if necessary later.

The Rogue front face panel was then cut out to allow the xbox through to the front. A 'faceplate' is next to finish off and allow installation of the xbox power, reset buttons.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2008
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice idea. You can upgrade the Xbucks cooling system to something that works too. Maybe even watercool it...

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

How come the NZXT Rogues seem to attract people with bizarre and kick-ass plans?! First one stuffs a peltier-cooled ATX-board and an ITX-setup in one and now Xbox? :D

Good luck with the project, so far so good.

9. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Looks great so far, mad idea.

10. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

Thanks guys for the encouragement! NB the 360 mobo is an 'ebayed' 2008 Falcon with BenQ drive. Heres the 'box' as of right now -

[​IMG]

A few newbie sins here and there but nothing major.

3M Heavy Duty Mounting Tape nicely positions the WD Scorpio 120GB drive on the tray support. I re-used the existing drive holder from the 360.

The side fan just fouls the connector so thinking cap is on...

Last edited: 3 Dec 2008
  11. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

12. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Coming together nicely. I am liking the Xbox water block.

14. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

15. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

Hi Collin - very cool install, saw the pics but what hardware did you use and what were the issues if any?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2008
  16. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

[​IMG]

'Stealth' faceplate design - mesh and solid black aluminium.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2008
  17. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

awesome idea. i remember a while back some one did this with a ps2, but definitely not this nice.

18. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

That was a few years ago actually I'm not 100% on the parts I used. I just know I did a poor job with the watercooling loop. I've spent quite sometime working on the revision with better PC parts, bigger case (Lian Li PC-73SL), bigger tubes, the whole works.The final version will have a single power supply running both simultaniously. Xbox uses about 200W and my PC can run fine with a 650W psu, so I got a 1000W to run it all.

I had a log going on TwistedForums, but they are now dead so I can't link you to my progess. You can flip through my photobucket to get an idea of what I used and did.

Good luck on your project, this is going to be a great mod.

-CollinstheClown

19. shinx

shinx Modding Newbie

OK Collin sounds good.

Two things though -

1. I considering powering both from one psu but its my understanding now that the controller for the psu is on the motherboard - so could cause issues using two mobo...

Corsair Tech Support - 'Having two regulators/controllers trying to control single PSU unit may lead to various issues'.

2. Talismoon - 'The original Xbox 360 Power Supply provides 203 watts, and 12v DC current at 16.5 amps, and 5v DC at 1 Amp. For the PSU Energyzer to work, your PC power supply must provide this much SUSTAINED power at a minimum. Many PC power supplies are rated for PEAK power instead of sustained power, so you must check the label of your power supply to see if it provides enough sustained power'.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2008
  20. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Sounds a good idea having pc and 360 in one package. But i would of used the stock 360 PSU with an extension for the power cord from the PSU to the rear of the case. I would of also beefed up the 360's PSU cooling. I saw one where they used an old slot type processor HeatSink for this and with a couple of fans would of been kept nice and chilly.