1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: XMen III ( 24 Mar 07 - More work on the Claws... )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheClon, 6 Mar 2007.

1. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

Hi,

This is my first mod. I have been working on it for the last two months.

I was just planning to cut a side window on the case (how original...!! :D )
    but couldn't stop there....

This is the original case...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I took out the side door and some hours later I got this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, I decided to check the internet for mods and found the bit-tech forums and the modding daemon got loose and I couldn't stop :dremel: ....

I devored Defiant's worklogs and fall in love with blow holes, so I created a new front for the case...

A big blow hole...
    [​IMG]

A piece of acrylic to replace the front of the case...
    [​IMG]

Both together...
    [​IMG]

and a test fit...
    [​IMG]

Some :dremel: , bondo, sanding and premier later and we got this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... I got the mesh from a trash can I had lying around. This is just a test fit (whtn done it will be possible flat and inserted in the carvings I made to the inner of the hole...

Later on, I modified the side door...
    [​IMG]

Then, reading the forums I noticed that people always insisted on having a "theme" for the mod, and that's where I came by with the XMen III theme...

I was goint to draw an XMen III logo on that side window, but again, I couln't resist tentation and keep going with the :dremel: ...

Decided to place the XMen III logo on the opposite side door, but I just didn't
    wanted to have a plain motherboard tray either, so I made a new sliding side door....

First, I took and old Compaq Deskpro cover case...
    [​IMG]

Got a logo from the internet...
    [​IMG]

And translated it to the case...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using the case a a mold, I created an acrylic Logo....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is far from perfect, but this is just my first attempt at molding acrylic, hope next try it will be better...

Last edited: 25 Mar 2007
  2. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

For this being your first mod, that's some good workmanship. I like the idea of the raised X on the acrylic. Nice work thus far, I look forward to seeing your progress.

3. Mod_God

Mod_God What's a Dremel?

seems like u have lots of bubbles, if so, I suggest u apply the heat slower and not to close, heating it up fast and close will create those bubbles every time, just a suggestion.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah What's a Dremel?

Great work so far. Definitely worthwhile for a first mod.

5. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Well TheClon... welcome to bit-tech. You've come to the right place.
    First off, your English is great, no need to excuse yourself.
    Second off I and very impressed by your work, if this is your first mod then kudos cause it doesn't look like your first mod...
    Couple things... I love the blowhole... very clean very nice. The grill still needs a little adjustment and a little lining up (but I think you've got that handled).
    Also I have to ask.... where did you get that black metal trim for the side window? That is perfect!

6. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Ah, nice hinges on the side panels; exactly what I'm planning to do on my case! However, I'm a bit iffy between whether I should do it like you've done, or have them open up normally like doors.

7. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

XMen III -

Thanks for your replies!

Mod_God: Yes, I have lots of bubbles on the acrylic, and now I know why thnks to you... I will try again and post results later...

theurgy: the side window trim is not metal, I cut it from acrylic... some sanding and painting later, it looks like metal...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Well it does a good job at looking like metal!
    Keep at it ... I'll keep my eye on this one.

9. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

Well, I guess on my bad english I got wrong the "mod it til it bleeds" meaning... :duh:

[​IMG]

This was a "clean" perforation done with a cutting bit on my dremel. It didn't bleed, so I continued modding... :D

I installed two hinges on the "new" right side door (that will be holding the motherboard tray)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finished cutting the openings at the back for the PCI slots and motherboard conectors...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots f filling and sanding still pending...

10. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

Is that giong to work?

first of all nice work on the mod and the metal, but i have a qualm with the side panel. It looks good and all, but from the picture it looks a little sketchy design-wise. my problem is that it looks like its going to cut of the i/o panel and the expansion slots when it hinges off. You see what im trying to say? The seam between the pci openings and the expansion cards isnt going to stay parallel if its the way i understand it.

But me being stupi, probobly HAVE misunderstood it. Sorry! :D

11. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

To be able to make this right door work, I had to move the motherboard tray up by about 1/2 inch, and now the motherboard is invading some space that originally was for the power supply...

So, I had to modify the top plate of the case to make some extra room...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the back support plate...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit...
    [​IMG]

Now on to prepare the new cover for the power supply. Some hammering and 15 minutes later, it is done (for now)

It will have some hinges to open up to have access to the power supply...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear handle will be located right before the new power supply compartment, similar to a wind screen...
    [​IMG]

And these are to get an idea of how it looks so far...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea is to have some sort of internal light source between the motherboard tray and the side door, to light up the acrylic X (still waiting to be redone...)

12. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

Hi Damouse,

First, thanks for your interest!

As for the door cutting the i/o panel or expansion slots, the motherboard tray will be attached to the door, as in this ...
    [​IMG]

So you can install / replace components "out of the case" with more freedom and space...

I am even planning to make the hinges easily removable from the case, so you can take the door apart...
    As I am inserting the hinges in a solid piece of metal, they dont need to have all the screews in place at the case end, so I will try to use some kind of "easy off" pin there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, the openings for the PCI brackets are still unfinished. I need to cut another piece of metal to put on top of them, to finish the join between the openin door and the fixed back plate, and cut out a part of the corner so it fits together with the back plate...
    [​IMG]

Again, thanks for your comments and suggestions, keep them comming!!!

13. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

looking good:D very useable for my test-rig.
    How are you going to lock the "door"?

14. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I am planning to use one of the original "locks" from the Compaq case...

15. Bas van der Werff

Will that be enough to hold the upper corner at the back of the case?

16. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

Bas van der Werff:

In fact, I asked miself that question before, and after some (very) preliminar testing I found that...

When closed, most of the door's weight goes to the hinges, as the motherboard tray pulls it to the inside, so it seems that the Compaq' lock is more than up to the task.

As for the psu weight, the back plate seems (so far) strong enough to hold it, and the top plate will have an angular (not sure of this word... L shaped alu piece) connecting it and both the front and back plates togheter. There will also be a couple alu poles from the botton to the top plate, right where the motherboard tray ends, that will be used as structure to mount the hard disks and optical drives bays...

As soon as I finish cutting the side door and back plate and make them fit, I will test both asumptions and will let you know...

Thanks!

17. Bas van der Werff

Thanks for the info :thumb:
    That will keep the outside of the case clean of any extra support.
    Good luck with your project! i will keep an eye on this one!

18. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Looks great! Hope it'll work out and still look as great as now when completed :)

19. TheClon

TheClon What's a Dremel?

I decided to take a look at Sketchup, and it really is easy to use!!

I modeled my case in a few hours, to see how it should look when I finally finish the parts I have been working on.

[​IMG]

Fron Door open...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backside...
    [​IMG]

Fully opened case...
    [​IMG]

I still have to model Wolverine's claws, that will be located in front of the "X" logo and will serve as handle for the front and right door...

Please let me know any comments, suggestions, ...

Thanks!

20. KlavKalashj

KlavKalashj What's a Dremel?

This is surely looking really good. I will keep my eyes on this!