1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Y2k-bug - Repaired again...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mashie, 25 May 2003.

1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'm pretty sure I saw some red NIC's when I was in Maplin on saturday.

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

cool !

you know that honeycomb effect flies eyes have .. would make for some nifty ventilation :p

3. mashie

mashie The one and only

Hmm, interesting. Can't imagine they sell gigabit ethernet on Maplins though...

4. mashie

mashie The one and only

The eyes have already been planned, you can see them in an update brought to you soon. :)

5. olv

olv he's so bright

cant u use the onboard LAN. or is it not gigabit and do u specifically need it? what requires that much bandwidth?

[edit] i'm one post behind u mashie :p

6. mashie

mashie The one and only

And here is a minor update again, only covering some of the wet parts:

[​IMG]

10 meter 8/6.4mm copper pipe together with bender and cutting tool will be used to connect all wet parts (hopefully not wet on the outside).

[​IMG]

Since I never seen anyone use the combination copper pipe and push in fittings in a computer case befoe I had to do a proof of concept plus check the bendradius produced by the bender. The push-in fittings worked fine with the pipe and the best bendradius the bender could archieve was 25mm.

[​IMG]

This case when completed will be used both in UK and USA so a normal 220V pump was not an option. Luckily enough a 12V version of the Eheim 1046 pump has recently arrived to the market.

[​IMG]

Just plug in a standard molex plug and it will work, no need for mains power and relays. But the main reason I use one is that with an auto switching PSU it will work with both 110V and 220V. :)

7. mashie

mashie The one and only

I'm not too impressed by RealTek network chips (on-board) and gigabit ethernet will be useful if/when I get a proper storage solution done.

8. olv

olv he's so bright

how restrictive of flow will that copper tube be especially with those tight bends? are you only cooling the CPU guessing from the pump and pipe you are using?

looks really interesting though. wonder if the fact that the tubing is copper wether temps will be better because more heat is passed to the tubing.

9. mashie

mashie The one and only

I'm going for the German approach in cooling and not the American style (low flow in style instead of brute force :D ). It will be less restrictive then normal anyway thanks to the copper tube compared to plastic pneumatic 8/6mm tubes using sharp 90 degree bends that the blocks are designed for.

It will be quite a lot of blocks btw; CPU, GPU, NB and PSU. All running on a singe 1046 pump.

I doubt the copper tube will make much difference for the temprature considering it's tiny surface area compared to the radiator.

10. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

i love the idea of this mod, you could use servos to make it remote control - have it crawling over the floor after ppl, use a few million hacked laptop batteries :)

11. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Holy crap that's cool! How much was the pipe bending tool?

12. mashie

mashie The one and only

£14.60 for the bender and £8.70 for the cutter at RS.

13. mashie

mashie The one and only

Ehm no, it will be far to heavy for any such stunt. If I was going for a walking computer, I had used one of these and a Mini-ITX mobo :D

14. sik

sik Banned

I want to do that now... But a battery would be rather heavy...

(I'd never get round to it even if I tried aswell...)

15. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Is that pipe diameter going to be adequate? I assume it's no coincidence that you are going with Intel with such narrow tubing.

16. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Those Lynxmotion robots are cool ain't they! I once came >||< this close to buying the Hexapod II but opted for the digital camera route instead. d'oh!

17. mashie

mashie The one and only

Most german blocks plus I think the Koolance systems use this tube size so I see no problem it is just that 99.9% of all people have stared themselfs blind on 1/2" systems.

After all a CPU will run fine at 50C, 25C is not a requirement. I'm more worried about the fan being too weak tbh.

18. mashie

mashie The one and only

I have been eying the Hexapod II as well since the day it was announced. I got the mobile 5-axis robotarm in the end since I couldn't afford a hexapod :(

19. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

looking good :thumb:

20. mashie

mashie The one and only

Regarding the eyes btw, slightly update:

[​IMG]

For storage two WD400JB drives will be used running software RAID 1, can't see any performance issue with it now when a HyperThreading CPU is used.

[​IMG]

The plan is to put round windows in both drives with some red LEDs to illuminate the inside.

[​IMG]

After a few minutes with a torx T-8 screwdriver in the bathroom the internals were revealed and quickly inserted in plastic bags.

[​IMG]

And these are the parts we are interested in for now, the aluminium tops.

[​IMG]

Yet again my most trusted tool has been used, the 79p hand nibbler. The only clean up needed was to take some 600 grit sandpaper on the inner edge.

[​IMG]

Rubber sealing and aluminium dust was not a good combination, they seemed to be in love so the only way to separate them was to use hand dish wash :)

[​IMG]

Two 88.9mm elliptical domes from 4D modelshop put in place to verify the measurements of the holes.