1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project YAAC (Yet Another Antec Case) Finished 05/07/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hippo, 26 Jun 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

Project YAAC (Yet Another Antec Case) *Finished 05/07/2003* 56K Make Some Coffee !

My new project is to replace my old one here.
    While I was pleased with the overall case I produced it seemed a little too "ghetto" and didnt have enough cooling. So I decided on a new case, an Antec Plusview 1000AMG to be precise. There have been a lot of mods done with this case, such as removing the door/window/grills etc, but I like the clean look it has so I'm doing this case with minimal exterior modding. There will be a few minor mods here and there with the internals but I'm aiming to keep the case as clean as possible.
    I'm trying to go with a blue lighting theme with this case, I know some people feel blue is getting a little 'old' but done well it can look good.
    I can here you cry "Non-modded Antec Case ! Blue Theme ! is this guy gonna do anything original ?" Well maybe. But this case isnt really about orignality - its about functionality. ( I need to copyright that last line :lol: )

Most of my old system will do into making this one but there were a few extra bits I've bought from ebuyer,

1 x Antec Plusview 1000 AMG
    1 x QTEC 550 Watt PSU
    5 x Coolermaster LED Fans (Bl00!)
    2 x LED 8cm Case Fan Blue LEDs
    1 x Scorpion Stainless Steel 8cm Laser Cut Fan Guard

(the last item I bought cos it looked cool hehe)

I would have gone for a higher priced PSU but hey I'm on a budget here.
    Now Im gonna shut the hell up and get onto some piccies :)

Last edited: 5 Jul 2003
  2. Hippo

Ive done some work on the case so far, heres the pictorial progress....

The 2 cheaper bl00 led fans I bought I installed into the QTEC along with adding a power switch. Heres a pic without flash.

[​IMG]

Also I sleeved all the PSU cables with expandable nylon sleeving, the ends made off with heatshrink.

[​IMG]

Now this case will have 5 Coolermaster LED fans in. I want to control the fan speed with a self made diodebus but reducing the fan voltage reduces the LED's brightness until at around 10V they go out. So some fan modding was in order.

I desoldered the LED cable and the Speed sensor cable from the fan as shown here

[​IMG]

Then I soldered them together, so that I could provide a full 12V to the fans LEDs and adjust the fan speed. It also provides an added bonus that If the bl00 gets a bit too much I can just turn all the LEDs off.

[​IMG]

To control these 5 fans I'm using a home made diode bus. The first thing I needed to make was the front panel controls. The Idea was to have 4 knobs (1 controlling 2 fans, 3 for 3 fans) each backlit. So for the backlights I made 4 perspex discs and 'frosted' them by lightly sanding there surface. Heres a pic showing me making them ( Dremel use Idea thanks to Bard :) )

[​IMG]

I drilled 4 carefully measured holes in a 5 1/4 face plate and installed the 6 way rotary switches. Above the switch hole is a smaller one for a LED per switch. Then installed the backlights and the black aluminium knobs. Soooo heres the money shot...

[​IMG]

Im quite pleased with things so far. More things to come once I get some time

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I love the glowing rings around the knobs!
    I didn't really get that soldering the RPM wire to the LED wire (+) I assume, though. Are you running plain 12V through the RPM wire instead of connecting it to the mobo?

4. Hippo

Yeah the RPM wire will be connected to 12V via a switch (and a 10 Ohm Resistor, theres one in the fan) so I can turn on/off the LEDs

5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi

Great looking fan-controller there...

I would like to see a mod guide on that !!
    Pretty Please :)

L

6. Hippo

I'll prolly do a guide once I've finished the case :)

7. Hippo

Update !

Well Ive done some more work and here are the piccies :)

Here is my diodebus PCB mounted under the top of the case. The bundle of wires comming from each side go to the switches at the front.

[​IMG]

My Coolermaster LED fans installed Yay :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some 3mm bl00 leds to replace the normal green, yellow and amber ones

[​IMG]

And the effect they give

[​IMG]

I decided to make my own backlit case badge. I cut a square section of perspex and 'frosted' it with sandpaper. I then sanded a LED flat and glued it to the perspex. Here are the results :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should have another update in a couple of days as things are moving along quickly :clap:

8. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

i like it alot... might have to use some of the ideas (such as the backlit case badge) on my new case i will be starting very soon

9. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I like the backlit case badge. Can we get a front pic of that one, preferably in the dark, just to see the whole effect?

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dude, you better rename that project NJAAC (Not Just Another Antec Case)!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Hippo

I'm building this case at work atm so it never gets very dark there for me to take night-time shots. I'll try and take one in the morning when I get in cos its a little darker than most other times then. Once I get the beast home in all its finished glory you can have as many low light shots as ya like :)

Thanks d00d :D

12. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Coming along very nicely! Keep up the good work... I wish I could mod at work, what do you do, I need a job like yours, I might actually get some modding done then :hehe:

13. Hippo

Im an electronic engineer for a small company, I manage to fit in my modding around jobs.

I mod at work simply cos its easier. I have all the tools I need, all the space and electronic components as well if needed :)

14. Hippo

Well Ive finished ( until I decide to mod it a little more :naughty: ) my case and Its just waiting for me to install the hardware. But thats gonna have to wait until the weekend.

Here are a few more pictures to gawp over

The clean look case in all its glory

[​IMG]

Heres a little shot with the door open. mmmmm glowy

[​IMG]

From the back

[​IMG]

and the window

[​IMG]

Inside the case at the back

[​IMG]

and inside front

[​IMG]

This one shows the fan wiring loom and the USB / I/O from the front panel sleeved.

[​IMG]

And the close up on the badge that bard wanted :)

[​IMG]

I'll probably take a few more pics once the hardware is in

15. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Nice case man...

Now I am not the smartest guy in the world, but what are the bracket thingies on the bottom of the case for?

16. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Their the funny rail things that you use for mounting your cd-rom drives etc :)

Wicked case man it looks lush mite have to get me one of those ;)

17. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice case dude :)

[​IMG]
    I dunno, but there seem to be a few too many wires here :eyebrow:

Ahem.. can i have the old fans from the q-tec? :D (as per my wanted thread).

18. Hippo

I still have them, there pink but aint XP cooler branded. There branded under another name which I cant think of right now.

Pop me an email hippo (at) prog-tech (dot) co (dot) uk and we'll sort something out :)

19. Hippo

Well I managed to get into work today and transfer all the hardware from my old case to this one....And I took some pictures once I got the beast home :D

Heres a piccy with the flash on

[​IMG]

One with less light

[​IMG]

And one with almost none

[​IMG]

Heres a shot of the window which shows off my scorpian fan grill nicely :)

[​IMG]

The door open

[​IMG]

A little lower. Damn thats bright

[​IMG]

A shot from behind. Oooer missus :worried:

[​IMG]

And finally a flash shot of the internals

[​IMG]

Im really happy with how this case has turned out. The case itself is really of a high standard, so are the coolermaster led fans. The front case badge and the diodebus are little homemade items that I feel have turned out well. The QTEC PSU seems to cope with all my hardware and the voltages are well within acceptable tolerances. Sleeving all the cables has made a real difference imho and the rounded coolermaster cables top it all off :rock:

I am a Happy Bunny :thumb:

20. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Where's the sleeving from? And is it the kind of stuff you have to take the molexs off for (i.e. a tube) or do you just wrap it round and zip tie it (i.e. a sheet)?

Very interested in getting some.

Nice case dude.. the baybus looks ace.