1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Yabab! (Yet another black and blue theme)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tacritan, 20 Sep 2003.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I would suggest using a 4 or 5" CCFL on either side of the filter. Since you colored the filter blue you could use white ones and it would still look blue. That would be brigter and more even that LEDs.

I like the project--and good pics! Not fuzzy!

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Looks very good with the fridge window. Maybe you could place one LED behind each of the [*], and have them show temperature or something. (like cool, cooler, coolest...)
    Came to think of something; do you think the work "superfrost", the asterisks and the line around the window there will glow blue in UV light? Try!

Smilodon, vinyl dye can be translated "vinylfarge" or maybe even "plastfarge".

3. olv

olv he's so bright

i really like that case.... mmm must get one :lol:

nice project :thumb:

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Uh, maybe because he lives in Norway! :rolleyes: :p :lol: :thumb:

5. Tacritan

Tacritan What's a Dremel?

I believe what he was askin for was what vinyl dye translates to, in norwegian. ;)

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

eh... is it my english or is it tekmonkey's readingskillz wo is bad? :p :D :worried:

7. Tacritan

Thanks mate! I'm planning on putting two blue and a UV superbright LED in the bottom of the case to illuminate the fridge-window. Was gonna do that this weekend, but something came up so I didn't get the time. Haven't found something good to use as spacers for the window, AND I'm missing wires to connect the LED's so I guess it would never've been done anyways. :( Shall see what I can do during the next two weeks tho. :)

And I've decided not to vinyldye the drives. I'm tipping more and more over to stealthing my drives macro-style and borrow some of his ideas regarding the rheobus. But that's for another time... Be patient and thou shalt receive my pictures in a thread near thou. ;)

8. bard

Great. "I shalt in exitement wait, my Lord"... :worried:
    Erm...what? I didn't get it.

Hey tacritan, did you know that your birthday is on christ-mas eve? :lol: (And why doesn't ch*****as pass the swear filter??)

9. Tacritan

Minor update! Been away, offline and very busy ( ;) ) lately so I haven't had the time for modding. Took this evening off to glue the fridge-stuff in place with some LEDs tho. 10 bl00 lowglow (350mcd) LEDs arrived last week, so now I'm ready to continue with the frontbezel. Enough talk, on with the pics:

[​IMG]

Spacers for the plexithingies. This is where the air for my rad is sucked in so I had to make some standoffs to allow for decent airflow. Made it with two layers of the same "plexi" as the superfrost is made of.

[​IMG]

LEDs mounted. Used alot of hotglue to, hopefully, diffuse the glow a bit. Havent tested the setup yet, so I might have to redo the whole front. Not too much work tho. ;)

[​IMG]

The cable i'll be using for connecting these baby's. Just hacked a 4-pin to 3-pin molex connector and stripped an 8pair TP-cable (standard cat5e ethernet-cable), and connected them with a whateverthatblackthingieiscalledinenglish. LEDs, which are 5v each, will be wired in parallelle, consuming about 20mA each. Not too much. ;)

So that's it for tonight, couldn't be arsed to do the soldering in the middle of the night with no coke (the soda ;) ) and no caffeine at all really.

10. Tacritan

Bard: tried the UV-glow thingie, it didn't work. The white is too offwhite for any glow at all to show. :wallbash:

And yes, I'm very well aware that my birthday is on x-mas eve. :grr: ;)

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

you could paint the back of those stars with some UV paint... microplex has a marker that is invisible under normal light, but glows nicely under UV...

12. Tacritan

Smilodon: I tried that last night, it's a damn PAIN in the *** to draw those details. Need to do it after a couple of beers when my hands stop to shake. ;) Then again, I have actually given up the idea of making the letters and symbols glow. I have 4 blue LEDs mounted now, which will (hopefully :worried: ) light up the whole thing. Too bad I have to redo the whole mount, my temps went up 4-5 degrees after mounting it. Prolly not enough airflow. :wallbash:

(Jim Carey in Ace Ventura 2 inside the rhino: "Must... 'ave... AAAAAIR!" :lol: ).

Will do the remount and soldering today if I can get my hands on some heatshrinkwrapsleevethingomobob locally. If not, I'll have to order online and that's a week of shipping. :wallbash: Sucks living in a remote corner of the world. :waah:

13. bard

I was going to suggest Biltema for heatshrink, but I think the northmost Biltema warehouse is in Trondheim... (Maybe if you have a fast car...)

14. Tacritan

It's still a 16hours+ drive, and I don't even have a license. ;)
    Think I can get them locally on a gas-station or something tho, thats where my friend got his from. Got to go check it out later today... Too bad we have gotten about 10cm of snow here during the night, so I'll prolly freeze my behind off. :(

15. Tacritan

Minor update again. As I was unhappy with the airflow on the earlier mounting of the "plexi"-front, I redid it this morning.
    Here's the results:

[​IMG]

Spacers for my motherboard (had to use a double solution to make the mount high enough to allow for airflow to my rad). Interesting. Had to remove the LEDs temporarily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how they're supposed to be mounted, except for the mid ones which had to be turned upsidedown. Glued and ready. :)

[​IMG]

This shows how the LEDs are glued (hotglue-madness! :lol: ) in place, hopefully to diffuse the glow a bit. Also showed, the mobo-spacers turned upside down.

[​IMG]

All the spacers mounted. Ready for drymount of the "plexi". :)

[​IMG]

"Plexi" drymounted to check if everything fits, and it did. Also marked off the places to drill holes for the screws.

[​IMG]

Screws in place. :)

[​IMG]

And voilà, the new mount is ready. Still not satisfied with the temps, but it'll change when i reverse the rad-fans and make two intake-fans on the side of the case. :)

Next up is soldering the LEDs which will be done this evening (if i'm not passed out at some bar. :lol: )

16. Tacritan

Edited: Don't drink and post people. :blush:

Last edited: 19 Oct 2003
  17. MechWarrior

MechWarrior What's a Dremel?

Nice start! Love that case, what is it?

18. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Great work Dude! :clap: But same question as everyone else - what case is that?

19. Tacritan

Tulatin/MechWarrior: I've answered that on first page, but again, it's an Addtronics 6896B. :)

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah. Ok - thanks.