1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: z...DONE!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by beaster, 2 Aug 2003.

1. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

You got a picture of the front once primered? Looking darn sweet so far love the cutout on the top of it :D Its amazing how a coat of primer can turn a bondo mess into a nice smooth looking piece :D

2. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, those flames are amazing. I can see that there was some major work involved in those, wow! This is a great looking project :clap:

3. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

I looked at the pic with the blue tape on the black, and thought how cool it looked, then realized it was just a mask... mmmmm... electric blue on black case..... :dremel:

4. ruckus

ruckus What's a Dremel?

nice work i cant wait to see what goes on witht he rest of it.

5. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

what kind of fan are you going to put in that blowhole?

also how are you going to paint the fans? Airbrush, spray can?

6. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

blowhole flame cuts looook sweeeeeeeeet!

7. beaster

beaster What's a Dremel?

I should have a pic of the bezel all nice and primed up shortly...I've been through two coats so far trying to hit all the rough spots and anomolies (sp) and it's looking damn good. Better than it did after the first coat of primer, I was a little bit discouraged after that. First coat of primer was plastic primer, second coat was filler primer.

For the top blowhole I have a 120 mm Vantec Stealth fan. Right now I am fashioning a small duct (maybe 1 1/2 - 2" deep) out of a spare 120 fan shroud and a short section I cut off the front duct. I did this basically so the fan isnt bolted right up to the back of the panel. The duct will be epoxied to the back of the top panel, and then the fan will be screwed into that. It won't be a turbine though, cause the fan has to face the opposite way of the front intake.

I am working on the front intake fan now. I've epoxied a 1 3/4" prop nose onto it, and if you've seen prop noses, they have some screwholes and cutouts for prop blades. I've filled those in so the cone is completely smooth. Again, shot it with plastic primer and then filler primer and that's guiding me to what needs to be smoothed out or contoured differently. Primer shot coming up shortly.

Those flames on the top were a major pain to cut, and they are an even bigger pain to file. That's why I have been getting distracted with other sub-projects easily :) But it turned out better than I had hoped..just need to get the filing done so I can paint it.

8. FlashPanHunter

This is really sounding and lookin impressive. I eagerly await an update on the front bezel, that looks great already, so I cant wait to see it finished.

9. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

This is looking sweet.... :rock:

I take it you don't like sharp edges. What compound are you using to round the edges???

Can't wait to see updates..Good work mate... :D

10. beaster

beaster What's a Dremel?

Yep, you're right...with the top flames I don't want any sharp edges...but it's more for an aesthetic look. My goal is to have everything look professional and not a cheap hack job. To file the edges of the flames I picked up a hobbyist file set...essentially a set of tiny files. They do what I need them to do, but man does it take a while. Yesterday I finished half of the top though.

11. beaster

beaster What's a Dremel?

sorry for the lack of updates...I've been having some problems getting the flame job on the side panel just right. I'm now on my third try :(

anyways progress is still chugging along...here's some finished stuff. the front and hdd cooler turbines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Cool looking fans there. Are they quieter cos of this? beause i suppose teres a smoother path for the air.
    :rock:

13. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Oh sweet jesus! That looks awesome!! :rock:

I demand a guide! :lol:

14. FlashPanHunter

Man who cares if they sound quieter, those things looks awesome! They will look especially nice in the planned holes. Is the giant hole on the bottom going to have a fan like that too?

15. beaster

beaster What's a Dremel?

yep, that monster turbine goes in front.

all 4 fans were done the same way, although the 120 needed more work. i bought a selection of rc airplane prop spinners, i think i used the 1 3/4" one for the 120 and didn't need to cut it much. BUT there were two gaping holes on either side (for the props, i presume) that i filled with bondo. i used some sort of fiberglass tape/fabric as backing for the filler.

for the hdd fans i pretty much had to hack just the tip off of 1 1/4" spinners. used the dremel for that and wetsanded the bottom with 400 grit to flatten it.

the spinners were fixed with epoxy, and i used some more bondo to fill out the joints. the hdd fans came out better because the spinner was a better fit, but i'm really happy with the 120 one too.

sorry, thats a pretty weak "guide"...but my digital camera was flaky and i couldnt get good pics of my progress. just got a new one so hence, the new pics.

16. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Looks nice!

17. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

sweet how you do that

18. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Put on your focals and read! :geek: :nono:

I love emoticons. :D :lol:

19. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

COOL! :clap: :clap:

Really good work on the big one!

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

these look cool man, but aren't they a bit noisy? and what bout balance? - if the points are even slightly off-centre they'll wobble.

anyway - looking sweet - esp for first project - keep up the good work, and the updates...