1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Zelda (updated 02/06/04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DRxAndy, 13 Oct 2003.

1. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Link...
    The time has come to test thy courage...
    I have been cursed...
    I need you to break the curse with your wisdom and courage.
    Dost thou have courage enough to undertake this task?

The Curse: A stock case (Antec slk3700amb)
    The Remedy: Modification

I have been a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series, ever since I played Ocarina of time (yes I know that isnt very far back in the LOZ chronology, but this game hooked me with its deep story, wonderful layout and design, and for the time beautiful graphics.)

No one has made a Zelda themed case to my knowlege, and I feel that it deserves a tribute.

With that said, on with the work log!

Here is the original case, stock:
    [​IMG]

for more images check out:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...22-06.JPG/11-129-122-02.JPG/11-129-122-01.JPG

After getting some money from student loans/state of Michigan merit award, I got a nice new multi speed dremel with the flex shaft
    [​IMG]

first thing first, I cut out the back stock fangrill, the hexigonal shapes made it a bit of a hassle because they left holes where there shouldnt be, but i plan to fix that soon

[​IMG]

I decided, before I go ahead with sanding the main case, I wanted to work on the psu. The color scheme for the outside is planned to be Green, with black accents, and other colors in accordance to design. First up, disassembly, but I ran into a snag. Other psu's i've worked with came apart with no problem, but this one had some little circuit board with an aparatus i'd guess was power surge protection, take a look in the pic below

[​IMG]

So to work around that, i cut the wires connecting it to the psu and slipped a sandwich bag over/though the hole and taped it tightly at the end. From there it was ready to sand.

[​IMG]

all sanded and ready for painting :)

[​IMG]

More on the way very soon!!

Last edited: 3 May 2004
  2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

LOZ does indeed rock.

Have you thought about dealing the TriForce in there somewhere? Might work quite nicely on fangrilles or a backlit window.

Looking forward to seeing more :thumb:

3. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

shhh, im working on that now haha
    i designed a very kickass fangrill dealing with a triforce logo, i'm working on contacting someone about making it now, and a quote for how much it would cost :thumb:

4. Majin Link

Majin Link What's a Dremel?

I have started on a Zelda themed case. I started in april. I didn't finsh it yet because of school then got into summer to much and now i'm working on the freddy Glove. but yea i started it. ;) just to let you know. I'll give you the idea i was using if you want it.

I cut out the triforce and placed it on the back of my PC and wanted to have a yellow light come out of it, so from the wall you would see the triforce but not the cut out, just the light of the triforce. I also based my PC on a GCN PC too. I got pics below if you want to see and get ideas. If you have any questions you can ask me

http://www.kissiradio.com/s61/12.JPG
    http://www.kissiradio.com/s61/13.JPG
    http://www.kissiradio.com/s61/14.JPG
    http://www.kissiradio.com/s61/15.JPG

5. X-W4rrioR

X-W4rrioR What's a Dremel?

hi guys
    Ive been wandering around the Bit-forums for a while now and never really bothered to register (nope.. not ever the orac3 mod made me do that 5 mins act :X ) wellp

YOUR mod chanded it all :D and i registered to reply to you and well now i guess ill take more action in the forums :D

im one of the biggest The legended of Zelda fans around (got more than half my room filled with posters of it :X )

I myself thought about doing a zelda themed case.. but never got the idea on how
    the back TriForce lit is REALLY a nit advice... id go with it for the PSU back fan grill then use Yellow led fan for the PSU so that you get the same result only still have room for a window on your side panel!
    (the TF reflection might be small.. but i think it will be good as well!)

also i think you should make some sort of a remakr of the Legendery sword or something...

just for the record im a fan of LOZ since the "LOZ : A link to the past "
    which i finished in 2 weeks on my good ol' B/W gameboy about 5 years ago :)

so dude
    ROCK ON!!!!
    this is one heck of a log im gonna follow... and im asking in advanve if i could steal some of your ideas on this mod? ;)

6. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

haha thanks a lot guys :)

Majin Link > cool man, nice with the gamecube haha
    you should finish it :thumb:

X-W4rrioR > Welcome to BiT!
    i had many ideas of what i wanted to do for a zelda mod, one involved re-creating the master sword and its pedestal for a mini-itx system, but i scrapped that

Steal all you want, i'd be honored haha, but dont forget a shout out :rock:

7. Majin Link

Majin Link What's a Dremel?

I will finsh someday after i finshed the freddy glove which i hope to be done before the 31st. I'll just surf around the net till i'm for ideas on what i should use for my case but i'll be watching your every step of the way :)

8. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    THE OWL, OUTSIDE KOKIRI FOREST:

Hoo hoot!
    Link...
    Look up here!
    It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure!
    You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times!
    Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle.
    You will meet a princess there...
    If you are lost and don't know which way to go, look at the Map.
    All right then, I'll see you around!
    Hoot hoot hoot ho!

-----------------------------------

Painting the psu:

I got a nice deal on a 4 pack of camoflauge krylon from walmart for $2.00, included were black, tan, brown, and olive - even though i wont be using the other colors at the moment, black went into effect.

[​IMG]

Weapon of Choice

[​IMG]

The box makes a nice painting stand eh

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the bottom

Just about 10 minutes ago I gave the bottom (with the 80mm fanhole) a nice black gloss coat.
    When painting the main part of the psu for the first time, it tipped over when i brought it inside... so i had to sand again and re-spray, so i'll wait overnight to spray with the gloss.

Pics of both parts glossed will be posted soon :D

Last edited: 20 Oct 2003
  9. X-W4rrioR

Slick painting job mate! i liked how u gave it a light-black and not high saturation black (well.. reflective black in other words o_O )

any ways thanx for the welcome dude! :)

oh btw you think mayB the PSU cables could have a rope around them or some sort of a rope-patterned sleeve? that could be cool haveing ropes(well.. u know ropes like they use on epona or such) runing around your comp's gutts instead of normal black/green sleeves thus giving your comp a whole mid-age inner look

(the rope pattern i mean -> http://www.mathsyear2000.org/thesum/issue8/images/rope.jpg )

BTW!
    if you already go by naming the characters you add... so you forgot naming the "Deku tree"

10. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this project!

11. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

The rope idea is awesome!!
    its a little too late for me to do it though, since i ordered the sleeving already haha, ahh well, you should use it in yours, its perfect!

haha the charecters are just for fun, so when theres a new update, expect a new line from the game with accompining picture

12. bradford010

One of the first articles Coolhand wrote for our site involved rope. What he did was buy some cheap nylon braided rope and strip the outer sleeve off, leaving him some cable sheath that happened to have a rope pattern (he couldn't actually find a local cable sheath retailer at the time).

Don't know if you'd want to try that out for the sake of a few dollars :)

13. X-W4rrioR

DRxAndy: Glad you liked the idea! maybe use the pattern "bradford010" gave us and combine the sleeves with it? :naughty:

bradford010 : can you give us a link to the tutorial page ? or if its aginst the forum regulations please send it to me in a privet message?

14. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

15. X-W4rrioR

humm... think you could paint it in light brown ? thou i think it will be too hard to do..
    well guess till ill buy my new FT case ill have to think of a way to combine those cables and ropes!

looking forward for updates..

16. bradford010

From what I remember of climbing (haven't done much in a while) ropes come in a variety of colours. Though brown may be a bit tough to come by, I'm assuming you could fabric dye it if you were starting from a lighter colour.

Sorry for the highjack DRxAndy :)
    Someone could start another thread if you're not interested in exploring this avenue.

17. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

OWL, OUTSIDE CASTLE:
    Hey, Link! This way!
    The princess is inside the castle just ahead. Be careful not to get caught by the guards!
    Ho ho ho hoot!

Well, well, which way are you going to go now?
    Hoo hoo hoot!
    Hoooo. You're a smart kid.
    Good luck, then. Hoo hoo.

-----------------------------------------------------

No worries bradford :)
    I love the idea, but i dont really want to do it haha

Time for an update!
    unfortunatly yesterday it rained, so I had to wait untill today to finish up the painting.

[​IMG]

I've read several places that the best way to apply a nice smooth paint job is in thin coats, and the way to thin the paint is by putting the can in hot water for a couple minutes. I had this large cup from a Central Michigan university football game, and it works perfectly :D

[​IMG]

Heres the bottom of the psu (with the fan hole), the ring isnt a paint splotch, it's actually the overhead light's reflection

[​IMG]

The top of the psu was giving me a lot of trouble, it might just be because i'm trying to go a little faster than I should, and applying the paint wrong, but i think i got it right this time (after about 3 times of having to sand haha)

[​IMG]

Since I had the black paint out, I figured why not do the case feet as well.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I got one of my orders from svc (includes small sleeving for fan tails, as well as other small wires, heatshrink, and some nifty black thumbscrews), and today from newegg the dvd rom

Thats all for this update, the next one should be soon :D

Last edited: 20 Oct 2003
  18. nsain

nsain What's a Dremel?

central michigan eh? well, i dont have any of those cups laying around, I could easily find some Notre Dame ones or Michigan. When i painted my case, I put my can in the sink in hot water for a few minutes. It really works great to get the paint particles moving. oh, and I'm from Holland, isn't that wierd?

-> Wooden Shoe rather be Dutch?

19. X-W4rrioR

Man im envy of you guys living in a qutie place where u dont hear booms evry day =\

well i really wandered where you werer gone... damn rain :brrr:

by the way
    about the quotes .. are you taking them from some site or did you memroized them all !?

20. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

haha it'd be crazy if i did memorize them, but no, i'm getting them from
    http://loz.zeldalegends.net/text/
    this is a great site for zelda fans! they have a ton of images in their gallery too