1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Projekt Caelum [Caselabs Mercury S8]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheXviper, 18 Dec 2014.

1. TheXviper

TheXviper What's a Dremel?

Welcome!

Presentation

My name is Olivier Vizuete (Olle) and I am 24 years old. I live in Uppsala, where I am studying full time. I have long been checking around on various building log here on Overclock and have become inspired to create something of my own, after seeing Mercury s8 I was hooked and when the case finally arrived, it's time to start building. The building may be a little drawn, due to limited finances and exam period at the beginning of January.

Components

The majority of the parts are not ordered and I have not quite decided what it will be, but a preliminary list is below:
    [X] these parts I have bought or owned since before.

• Case: Caselabs Mercury s8 [X]
    • CPU: Inte core i7 5820k [ ]
    • GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC [X].
    • Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 4x4 gb [ ]
    • Motherboard: Asus X99–S [X]
    • SSD: 2x Samsung 840 EVO Series 250gb [X] I have one of these..
    • PSU: Corsair AX860 [X]

Watercooling

• EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM with Pump [X]
    • Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper White Special Edition [X]
    • EK-Supremacy EVO White Edition [X]
    • EK CoolStream 360 [X]
    • Monsoon acrylic tube 16/13 mm [ ]
    • Monsoon Hardline 16/13mm White [X]
    • XSPC - EC6 Non Conductive Coolant UV Blue [X]
    • 2x EKWB EK-FC980 GTX NI GPU Block [X]

Modifications

There is much to be done in this case, I want to build a stylish case where the theme is blue and white. Things / parts that are not those colors will be hidden or painted. Below is a list of what has been done or should be done:

• Fix the plexi hiding PSU and pump [ ]
    • Install led in the case [ ]
    • Put Sleeve on the cables [ ]
    • Modify the case so the pump and reservoir can be mounted [ ]
    • Custom backplate for GPU [ ]
    • Install watercooling [ ]

Other

Since this is my first build log and real modification tips are gladly accept.

Below are some pictures of the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Mar 2015
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Moved to Modding until there are pics of work in progress (you don't have a project log until you do).

Also, can you please resize your photos - 14mp is far too big.

Also you don't need to resubmit your threads / posts - they'll sit in the moderation queue until you have a sufficient number of posts.

3. TheXviper

Update!

Hello!

I have finally manage to mount the pump and reservoir in the case and I am satasfied with the results. The next thing that i am working with is to cover the black parts with plexi.

Started by cutting out a hole for the pump and brackets:

[​IMG]

After that, I mounted the bracket:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nfortunately the screw-nut was blocking the front to start buttons and USB, so had to drill some in it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that everything is in place, I just had to mount your pump and reservoir:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TheXviper

Modding pictures have been uploaded in the new update!
    Sorry för the big pictures, i have resized them and uploaded new ones, is the new size ok?
    Sorry för resubmit, i thought something went wrong the first time i tried to create this thread.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

No problems - thanks for sorting those issues. I'll move this back to project logs in a sec :)

Edit: Done :thumb:

6. TheXviper

Update!

So I thought it would be nice with a update, unfortunately I failed my cutting in plexi so it's pretty much cardboard on the pictures that will serve as the plexi.
    I got one bit of plexi and it can be seen below:
    I will use the plexi ta square around the pump to hide the black. There is some space between the pump and the plexi and there I intend to mount a blue led-stripe that will shine nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the rest of the pictures, it is cardboard for now:
    Below we have a picture of the other side where the two displays will be installed. They will show the temperature in the computer.
    The big question mark means that I have not made up my mind quite what to do, either write / drill / saw out a pattern or maybe a name like Caelum or Xviper.
    Or maybe cut out two holes and mount my two ssd there, what do you guys think? :D

[​IMG]

I should probably raise the displays a little:

[​IMG]

In the picture below you will see how I planned to do with the 24 pin connector, SATA cables, gpu cables and tubes from the radiator.
    The radiator will be mounted as shown so connections are at the bottom, I will drill two holes in the plexit for the tubes, one tube goes to pump the second to the CPU.
    Regarding the 24 pin connector there will be drilled individual holes for each cable.
    When it comes to GPU cables (top left of the cardboard ) we´ll se if it will be a little bigger hole or individual holes.
    Sata cables get a hole where several suits.

[​IMG]

The front looked really nice with the fans mounted so I took a picture of it:
    [​IMG]

One last picture:
    [​IMG]

7. TheXviper

Update!

Hello again!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a good end to the past year.

I am now back after the Christmas holiday, and I am continuing on my build.

I bought my motherboard, it became an Asus X99-S, I think it fits very well with the case. I have also mounted some fittings from Monsoon and sawn the plexi.

Starting with a picture of the motherboard, the color fits well with the case

[​IMG]

Some pictures of mounted fittings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to cut out the plexi that will sit on the side and cut out two holes for displays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also cut out the bit that will sit at the radiator

[​IMG]

Perfect fit

[​IMG]

The next thing to do will be to drill in the plexi at the radiator so the tubing and cables to the motherboard can come up.
    I'll drill individual holes to 24pin cables and I am considering to drill as follows:

[​IMG]

8. TheXviper

Update!

Update!

Hello again!

It's been a while since I updated and it is because I have been away on vacation and had exams.
    But now it's done and the build continues.
    RAM, processor and a new keyboard. My sleeve has also arrived and will start with the 24pin cable tonight.

Below you can see a picture of what I bought, the first item you see a list of parts I own.

[​IMG]

Sample mounted a RAM-stick and realized that I need to reroute the tube to the Cpu.

[​IMG]

Mounted the memories and they're so good looking:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have also drilled hole for tubing and 24pin cable:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a little update so you know that the project is still alive.
    I will start the sleeving and bending som tubes now.

9. TheXviper

Update!

Hello again!

After lying sick with the flu in for over 1½ week, I have now begun to sleeve, the 24 pin cable is finished. I have also bought my second graphics card and water blocks to them.

Now i will begin to sleeve the 6pin gpu cables and mount the water blocks.

Below are some pictures of sleeve:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mouted my GTX 980 also, pretty big cards:

[​IMG]

And some pictures of the water blocks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

looking very nice!

How the hell does a student afford to go on vacation and buy a caselabs, x99 gear etc ?

That X99 board would look very nice in my build :D

How are you going to fit the lowest fan to the rad with that acrylic false floor there? or it that cut out made and the duck tape is hiding a secret ?

11. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Subbed, love the color scheme, and totally jealous of the parts!! :)

12. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

My favourite colors! :) I have done 2 scratch builds and currently making my third with the same color scheme. I like everything you chose! Although, have you thought of mat white 90 degree monsoon fittings + primochill blue ghost or revolver fittings as a combination? I think the satin anodized finish of the primochill would go really well with the mat white finish of the monsoon.

Keep it up!

13. TheXviper

Hehe it is actully money from my summerwork last year, i was supposed to buy my new computer right away in september but i waited for the x99 platform :)

The board is amazing, way over my expectations, it looks so good :D

The fans are actually on the otherside of the radiator, pulling air from the outside and in to the case so the false floor wont be a problem ;)

Thank you! :)

Thank you so much!

I did come over those fittings recently and i think it will look amazing. But its to expensive to change all the fittings now :)

And also i like to have all the fittings in the same brand :)

14. TheXviper

Update!

Hello!

It is time for a little update, I am currelntly bending the tubes, and it was much harder than I imagined from the beginning. But I have managed to get 2 pieces good :). There is still some trash in the tube so there is no cracks inte the tube. I just haven´t hade time to wash them yet.

I´m also almost done with the box that will sit around the pump, is just the cover left.

Below are some pictures, tomorrow a bigger update with better and more pictures will come:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will continue now and one waterblock shall be mounted on the graphics card and the tube between the CPU o graphics card to be bent.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2015
  15. TheXviper

Update!

Hello!

Then it was time for today's update, I have managed to bend all the tubes and am very happy with the results. I have also installed one graphics card.

Starting with some pictures of the GPU:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naked GTX 980:

[​IMG]

Water block mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And som pictures of the tubing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TheXviper

Update!

Hello!

I hope everyone had a good Easter, my build took a little spring break but now it is back up and running.
    I have started to mount lights in the case and re-bent the tube to the CPU. A friend of mine has also begun to sketch in CAD to my backplates.

What is left to do now is to sleeve the cpu cable and one GPU, I have managed to get one made.

Took some pictures of the installed lighting:

Two leds mounted in the waterblock on the GPU:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box around the pump is complete, in the background the sleeved cable to the GPU can be seen:

[​IMG]

I like the light from the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white leds in top of the case, lights it up well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Like the colour scheme and hardware. Have a question about your cpu block fittings? Is there a particular reason you fitted the two 90 degree fittings on it? I feel it would look cleaner with the pipes coming straight out the block.

18. TheXviper

Thank you!

The reason for two 90 degree fittings is that it is impossible to bend the tube to the GPU otherwise, it is to tight. I tried but i was not able to bend it so it would fit good. When i use the two 90 degree fittings i get a bigger distance and the bending is possible.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2015
  19. GregEl

GregEl What's a Dremel?

If you wanted to bend it with two 90 degrees bends, then yes the bends would be too close together. However there is a clean bend combination that would work very well and I have a picture from my previous project to prove it. Look at the right tube that connects the CPU to the lower GPU.
    [​IMG]

Both tubes from the CPU have 90 degree bends, the right one just has another smaller bend because the spacing for the ports on the water blocks is different. You could definitely do something similar for your build.

20. TheXviper

Alright i understand what you mean, if i do that smal bend on my tube i could probably fit it, i will try to do this, so back to the board and bend som more tubes!

Thank you for your feedback :) its my first build so i appreciate it alot.